1. silentdancer

silentdancer New Member

punctuation in poetry

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by silentdancer, Mar 5, 2011.

i don't understand why i can follow general rules for punctuation in writing, but not poetry. i know what i like when i see it...and know what i mean for my poetry to sound like but for some reason can't make that gel with punctuation

does anyone else have this problem?

xoxo
    kaye

2. Dandroid

Dandroid New Member

everyone seems a little different with punctuation....i almost never use it in poetry....i find it burdensome...

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

punctuation in poetry is really optional, but if used, needs to be used with care and with thought given to how it makes the piece 'read'...

browse the 'philosetry' section of my website to see the variety of ways i use [and don't use] punctuation in a wide range of formats... and if you need any help, drop me a line anytime, as i mentor many aspiring poets...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

4. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Contributor Contributor

I usually start a poem with the bare minimum punctuation (which is usually none except for periods) and then add what seems to be needed in later drafts. By later drafts I usually end up with an occasional comma to slow down the pace, and sometimes a dash or a semicolon here or there. I try to keep to normal usage of punctuation in my work, because playing around with punctuation is a whole world on its own. If you start to break a lot of stylistic rules in your poetry, then the way you break rules can limit your style. In most cases, I see that as problematic. A poem asks the reader to pay close attention to detail, so there's every chance that your punctuation or lack of it is going to be scrutinized and detract from the meaning of the poem.

Approach the notion of "poetic license" carefully. Of course you can do whatever you want with your poetry, but for it to be good poetry, you have to earn the right to poetic license. That's the way I see it anyway.

5. silentdancer

silentdancer New Member

i like the idea of starting off using hardly any, maybe i should start writing my poems as a first draft only using periods aswell...then add them later as they seem necessary, might help stop me getting confused.

will also take a look at that site, thanks :)