Question for native English speakers

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by jazzabel, May 2, 2014.

1. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Bottom line, you are right :D

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I always read Sergei as closer to SAIR-gey. It never occurred to me to say Sir Gay.

You can try other Russian names, but please stay away from Boris, because I have a character named Boris and you will violate my copyright ( :D ), and stay away from Oleg. Oleg is just a really ugly name. Good for the villain's henchman, I guess.

I like the name Andrey, and also Alexei (that one is actually really good). Yuri is okay, as is Leonid, though that one makes me think of cosmonauts for some reason.

jazzabel likes this.
  3. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

@minstrel: Yuri Gagarin, first man in space (or something like that). My dearest nephew is called Boris, so that would be too weird for me, so don't worry. Olegs are hot! I knew a couple and oh boy. Blonde, blue eyes, tall, muscular, tanned etc. Really complicated too. But I didn't choose it, because Ollie would be his nickname and that's too cutesy.

The only reason why I don't find Alexey sexy is Alexei Sayle. And Andrey is a gay friend of mine, and I would just feel too weird trying to pair an Andrey with a woman.