1. Catchnumber22

Catchnumber22 New Member

Question on publishing abroad and trilogy

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Catchnumber22, May 27, 2012.

Questions answered, no further replies needed.

EDIT: I had two questions initially, one pertaining to international publishing, the answer to which I found through reading many helpful threads in this forum, the second one pertaining to a planned trilogy, a question I found was sufficiently answered in another, very similar thread to this one. No more need to reply (unless you wish to say hello) :)

2. MissRis

MissRis New Member

To be honest I don't really know the answer to the first question, but based on other posts of read on similar subjects the general consensus is try and sell your first book first. It's hard enough to get a book published, let alone three. The first should stand on its own two legs and then you can hope for the rest. So I guess, try and make sure it's a stand alone book first, but I don't think having ideas for other books are bad.

I have no idea about the second question. But you seem fairly serious about writing and you will probably do your due diligence as required. I'm sure someone else will respond with a more intelligent answer than this, but no one had posted so I figured I'd start :)

3. Catchnumber22

Catchnumber22 New Member

Thank you MissRis, and don't worry, I spent a few hours reading messages on here and found some very valuable replies. Turns out I can get an agent from anywhere I wish, and international publishing isn't an issue at all, which I'm very glad to hear.

I also found out that I'm best off producing a first book with a closed story arc, and to focus on marketing only that until it gets picked up and experiences a reasonable amount of success. Means I'll have to re-do pretty much everything and trash some of the intermediary questlines I had going in the first book in favour of turning them into something more substantial and more in sync with the over-arching storyline, but it's no biggie, I'm also relieved to hear a fantasy debut may be quite a bit longer than a debut fiction book in other genres, meaning I have around 120K words to play around with for my first novel... that just about checks out, and it'll get edited down around 5 - 10K words anyway eventually. It's good I know, I stopped working on it until I got clarity and was tinkering around with something else in the mean time, I'm almost relieved I can get back to working on it now, even though it means a lot of hacking and chopping!

I'll go back and edit my first post, as I've answered my own question and I'd be silly to further waste anyone's time.
    Thank you again for the input!