1. MiaC

MiaC New Member

Question on romance scenes

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by MiaC, Apr 29, 2021.

So, I have characters that are 16, 17 and 18. I don't plan on getting too into sexual scenes if there are any but what about like kissing or how they feel? I've gotten to a kiss scene with one of my 16 year olds and it just kinda feels weird to be writing about it but 16 year olds do do those things so, my question is it inappropriate to write stuff like that about teens?

This is part of the scene, Alyssa is 16.

She went to the sink then splashed some water on her face. As she dried her face, John's near naked body flashed through her mind. She softly bit her lip. She knew she shouldn't be entertaining the thought of John but she couldn't help it, the way he was gazing at her was driving her crazy. She stared at herself in the mirror for a moment, she still had the sheer face veil covering her face but her hair was a bit messy from dancing. She fixed her hair then made her way back outside. As she walked out of the bathroom, someone was standing, hidden in the shadows. They slowly began walking towards her. They were dressed as the grim reaper that had been at the entrance of the haunted house, In a long black hooded robe with a chilling white face mask.

Worry washed through her as the person drew closer to her, she slowly backed up untill she hit the brick wall behind her. The large person stood right in front of her for a moment, silently. She stared up into the black, empty eyes of the mask, her heart was beating out of her chest. Then she felt a hand slide gently across the small of her exposed back.

She then realized who was behind the mask, it was John. She remembered what he had been wearing in the event room, he just didn't have the hood and mask on.

She closed her eyes as her breath became heavy then she felt his hand slide softly across her neck. She opened her eyes, he had taken off the mask. His handsome chiseled facial features appeared more defined as the glow from the moon shone down on them. His dark blue eyes gazed into hers, passionately.

Her stomach tensed up and she felt a warm sensation rush to her groin all the way down to in between her thighs. She closed her eyes again, breathing heavily, hoping he'd kiss her.

"How long are we going to keep this up?" He asked, gently caressing the back of her neck, sending chills throughout her body. "Is it wrong that I want you Alyssa?" He asked calmly as he slowly took off her face veil.

Alyssa slowly opened her eyes, he was inches away from her face, intently gazing into her eyes. She remained silent and stared at him as he slowly ran his fingers down a lock of her hair. She couldn't take it anymore.

"I don't care if it's wrong."

She said, grabbing him by his waist and pulling him into her. Her soft lips met with his. He passionately caressed her lips with his tongue then she slightly opened her mouth and put her hand around the back of his head and her tongue met with his, sliding together effortlessly. She had never been kissed like this by anyone, she could feel the pressure and warmth between her legs growing and growing, she wanted him more and more by every soft touch. but then suddenly he stopped and stared at her.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

It depends where you are and where your target audience is... in the Uk you'd be fine even with sex (our age of consent is 16), in the uS you are likely to be fine with kissing etc but not with sex (or at least not explicit sex)... there are other countries where the depiction of any contact between the sexes before marriage is a complete no no.

so 'inappropriate' is a slightly meaningless question since the counter point is 'to who?'

3. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

My daughter wrote some pretty hot stuff when she was 15 or 16. I like to think she learned about all that from reading steamy novels, but...

Plot should probably trump steamy sex, especially if one is not comfortable writing about sex and/or one has nothing new to say about it. The threat in the grim reaper costume is interesting (cue Blue Oyster Cult) but the symbolism gets lost in the modern version of heaving bosoms and throbbing manhoods. My suggestion: cut the word content of this excerpt by half (yeah, half) and see if you can create an atmosphere that combines sensual tension and psychological threat without resorting to graphic descriptions of warming groins.

4. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

If it makes you uncomfortable to write I don't think you should write it, for your own sake. I've written questionable things, some makes me happy some I realized made me feel skeevy so I don't touch those topics again. As far as what's acceptable... I think a kissing scene would be fine. I agree with @Catriona Grace , cut the mentions of groins and between the legs. I think that s a little explicit for a non steamy YA book and there are plenty of other ways to describe being horny/excited that are gentler.

Catriona Grace likes this.
  5. Thomas Larmore

Thomas Larmore Senior Member

Do not listen to the voices in your head, or other voices, that tell you that you should not write.