Questions about plagiarism and copyright

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by blubttrfl, Jul 2, 2007.

1. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I found the real quote:

The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you.
    - John E. Southard

2. word whisperer

word whisperer Member

That's so perfect, Minstrel. Thanks for looking for the real quote. I'm definitely writing that down. I need to remember it.

3. word whisperer

word whisperer Member

You can probably tell by my reaction to Maia's slip of the name that I've changed my mind about confronting this author on a public forum. The only reason is I can't afford to get sued. But how do I just let this go when I know this person is still luxuriating in her fame and fortune? How do I not become bitter? I wasted four years of my life pursuing justice, and for what? You now know that reminders of what happened are all around me. There is no escaping them. I wish I could write her a private letter explaining how our two novels are so similar and that I submitted my manuscript to a publisher five years before her book was released to the public. I could even include nine or ten of the strongest similarities. Any thoughts on this idea?

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

5 years is a big time gap... it doesn't seem to point to plagiarism, since the famous author had nothing to do with publishers until she snagged an agent who then submitted her ms to a completely different publishing house, 5 years after you had submitted yours... so i don't see how she could possibly have obtained your ms in order to copy it... what am i missing?...

5. word whisperer

word whisperer Member

All I know is that while I was reading the other author's novel, similarities kept popping up. I wasn't looking for them. But I couldn't miss that the book followed a similar storyline as mine And characters who played similar roles also looked similar to mine. I didn't even notice the word-for-word copying until later.
    I know from experience that it takes time to write a novel. Even if you have someone else's story to get ideas from, it would still take time. Yes, she sent her ms to an agent, who then had to pitch it to publishers. Once one publisher chose it, they had to go through all their steps before the book was ready for stores. That process can take up to a year.

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

But those things are very likely not copyrightable - they're ideas. As in the example about clothing designs, even if someone took an idea, or a bunch of ideas, from you, that's not necessarily an actionable offense.

Word-for-word copying could be an issue, but unless it's _very_ extensive - whole pages, whole chapters - I suspect that, again, it's not going to be enough to lead to a monetary award.

Again: Ideas. Ideas are not copyrightable.

I advise, again, that you box up all this material, delete any reference from your phone and computer and everywhere else, and when you pass a poster or a bookstore display or any other related advertising, you turn your head and focus your thoughts on the great new novel you're writing. Or how to improve your recipe for shrimp dumplings. Or whatever.

I know that it feels impossible right now to let go of the thoughts. But by writing about the issue here, you're not _trying_ to let go of them. Forbid yourself to write, to contact the lawyers, to _do_ anything. The thoughts will run free and gnaw at you, but in time, if they're not fed with new input, I really do think that they'll start to quiet down.

7. word whisperer

word whisperer Member

By the way, Mamamaia, if I painted you in a negative light, that was definitely NOT my intention. You have been amazing, and I would never criticize you.

8. word whisperer

word whisperer Member

ChickenFreak, thanks for taking the time to reply.
    I'm really amazed (and disgusted) if the law says someone can basically copy another writer's story and it's okay because it's all ideas. That isn't right. I agree a murder in L.A. isn't an original idea. Two stories can be about that subject, and it doesn't mean one writer copied from the other. But when everything else is also the same, I have to be suspicious.

By ideas I meant scenery and characters and storyline and words and everything else that goes into a novel.

Your advice is sound about boxing up my manuscript and everything that goes with it, and ignoring the books as I walk past them. But I've been trying that and it isn't working. I don't see how it will ever be easy to do that. I really do appreciate your help, though. You've been a great source of knowledge and encouragement. :)

9. mammamaia

i have to say cf's advice is sound, ww... just about what any good therapist would recommend for your emotional/mental well-being and to allow you to move forward both as a writer and in life...

unfortunately, the sad fact is that much in life is not fair and this will not be the only or last time you'll have to face up to reality and force yourself to accept it and move on...

if you find you can't do that, and your anger and lust for revenge continues to keep you stuck in this rut, unable to do anything positive and enjoy life, then it would be a good idea to seek professional help not from yet more attorneys, but from a good therapist...

and i don't think you painted me in a bad light at all... i appreciated your caring understanding of my inadvertant 'slip'...

love and healing hugs, maia

10. word whisperer

word whisperer Member

Thanks, Maia. I think it will take a therapist to help me move past this. I don't want to be a bitter, vengeful person. I'm the happiest when I'm writing, so that's what I need to get back to. Both you and CF have good advice. It isn't healthy dwelling in the past.

11. mammamaia

do you have any new ideas for a book that you'd like to write?... if you need any help getting started, i'm always just a mouse click away... 'getting back on the horse' is the best thing you can do right now... i'll be happy to give you a boost back up into the saddle...

love and hugs, maia

12. word whisperer

word whisperer Member

You're awesome, Maia! :) Let me ask one question: Should I still try to get my novel published, the one that was copied? If so, how much should I change it so that it doesn't resemble the other writer's book? I just don't want to be known as one of those pathetic writers who can't come up with their own original idea so they borrow from a best-seller in hopes that their book will be just as successful.

13. mammamaia

i can't answer either question without seeing at least the first chapter and your synopsis... if you don't want to make it public, you can send it to me...

14. word whisperer

word whisperer Member

Anyone else who wants to throw in their opinion is welcome. I do have other novels, but I feel it would bring me some sort of closure if I get this novel published. Then I can truly move on.

Maia, I'll email you later, okay? Thanks for the offer. :)

15. Nightstar99

Nightstar99 Senior Member

This has made me really paranoid about protecting my work now. It would be pretty annoying if the million to one chance of anything I'd written being saleable was snagged by someone else.

16. word whisperer

word whisperer Member

Tell me about it! I haven't sent anything out since this happened. I know it could happen again. There is no way to protect yourself against it. And seeking justice isn't so easy.

17. mammamaia

being so afraid of the infinitesimal chance of having unpublished work stolen that you submit nothing will get you and your writings nowhere...

it's a risk writers have faced since the first one wrote the first story on her cave wall... those with courage enough and faith in their ability to move others with their words have forged ahead regardless of the risk and won a place in the minds and hearts of their readers...

which do you wish to be?

18. word whisperer

word whisperer Member

It isn't my intention to scare other writers into never submitting anything (just want to make that clear!). But the pain and anger I feel about this is real. I would say I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, but this other writer IS my worst enemy. She deserves to have this happen to her so she knows what it feels like. Call me bitter if you want to. Would you feel any differently? (I'm not attacking, only venting. Sorry!)

19. mammamaia

no need to be sorry, i know you weren't attacking...

as for how i'd feel, well i'd probably feel close to the same in re wanting justice and for the perp to suffer the same fate...

but i wouldn't let it paralyze me, keep me from writing anything else... i wouldn't let any creep's wrongful act take over my life as you seem to have done, wouldn't give them the satisfaction of having destroyed me completely [especially as they'll never even know they've done so!]...

i had a set of etched glasses once that said, 'living well is the best revenge'... you need to start thinking that way, instead of letting this keep you in limbo... write another book and then another one... keep writing till you get one successfully published, to prove to yourself that you're stronger and better than to let one setback keep you mired in self-pity for the rest of your life...

i'd be happy to help you do that in any way i can... i hope i'll get an email from you soon, with the ideas for new books that i can help you to complete and get published...

love and extra hugs, maia

20. word whisperer

word whisperer Member

You're a good friend, Maia. And, as usual, you have the best advice. I know I'm letting this thing keep me from succeeding in my own career. This author might have taken one of my best novels, but she didn't take the only one I have. I need to concentrate on the ones still in my possession. I've lost too many years already on this. I need to become a writer again. Thanks for your pep talk! :)

21. The Byzantine Bandit

The Byzantine Bandit New Member

Would imitating another author's style be considered plagiarism? I don't think so, but wanted to be sure before submitting this paper where I think I have an excellent point demonstrated in the style of Chesterton. Thanks!

22. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

It's not plagiarism to imitate a particular style. But my guess is that the importance of the style to the expression of your particular point is far greater in your mind than it would be in the mind of the reader. If the reader does not recognize the style as Chesterton's, than any expected resonance would be lost. If the reader does recognize it, the reaction could be either positive ("Oh, how cool!") or negative ("Couldn't he just say it himself?").

My recommendation is that you make your point in your own style.

23. mammamaia

BRAVA!

here's to you 'becoming a writer again'... i hope you'll keep in touch and remember that i'm always only a mouse click away...

love and hugs, maia

24. mammamaia

ditto that excellent advice from ed!

25. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Imitating, or rather exploring, an author's style is not plagiarism, but it can be a useful approach in developing your own style. Ultimately, you want a style that is uniquely yours. Even if you try to channel another author's style, the result will inevitably be your own style, but it may not be your best, most natural voice.