Questions about self publishing a book

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by 354897, Apr 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 354897

354897 Member

I think its my understanding that you can use the same isbn in multiple companies if you buy your own, but

Q does anyone know if I can have the price be different at each print od company with the same isbn? (the cheapest price may vary from pod to pod paperback)

2. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

I found an article that addresses the ISBN question: https://indiesunlimited.com/2017/09/24/do-i-need-different-isbns-for-createspace-and-ingram/

However, this doesn't address the cover price question. I would read each service's Terms of Service VERY carefully, because using different cover prices gives one a competitive advantage over the other, and I don't think they would like that.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

changing the price doesnt require a new ISBN... however as Sapere says amazon in particular don't like it if you are selling the same product cheaper elsewhere (especially on line... they are less worried about bricks and mortar competition)

4. SapereAude

The cheapest price WILL vary from one POD service to another, but not that much. So what? I still think you are overthinking this, and making it massively more difficult than it needs to be.

The "cover" price (which doesn't actually have to appear on the cover) isn't built into the ISBN. The cover price can be built into the bar code box on the back cover -- but it doesn't have to be. Use the code 9000 and that leaves the price unspecified. But why try to figure the MSRP for each service down to the last penny and run the risk of violating one service's or another's terms of service by offering the same product cheaper through another source? Run the calculators for KDP and IngramSpark (and maybe Barnes & Noble Press, while you're at it), figure out the one that's going to result in the highest minimum MSRP (or "cover" price), and use that price for all of them. If you accidentally get a few cents in royalties every couple of months, so what?

Have you heard of the KISS principle? "KISS" is an acronym for "Keep It Simple, Stupid." Respectfully, I think that's what you need to do. Stop trying to push the river by manipulating the POD services to work in a way they were never intended to work*, and just get on with publishing the book.

* By this I mean that these services were not designed to NOT make money.

5. 354897

354897 Member

right as soon as you said some days ago that it would possibly upset those pod's i concluded that i should probably make it the same across the board

but do they care if i provide the book for free on my webpage, the entire book is the webpage and also a download which is a simple word version only that may include my cover but the consumer would have to print it off themselfs on their printer.

6. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

My English professor educated me on the polite form of that "Keep it Straight and Simple"

7. 354897

354897 Member

does anyone here use disclaimers in your books, and is it complicated, my book is a christian self help book talking about allot of things and giving constant advise throughout the book

8. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

I have used disclaimers. It's become fairly standard in certain romance subgenres but I don't know about other genres.

It doesn't need to be complicated and if you think it will help potential/new readers then it's worth it. Just a few sentences as the preface, stating what you think readers should be alerted to--for instance, that the book is christian and/or if you discuss any difficult topics. You can also be clear that you give advice within. If you don't already discuss your authority on the topics within you could mention that too.

9. SapereAude

I would suggest that, if you are giving advice (please note: the noun is "advice" with a 'c,' the verb is "advise" with an 's'), unless you have some sort of professional certification (doctor, psychiatrist, psychologist, MSW, licensed marriage and family counselor, clergy, etc.) that you include a disclaimer that you are not a licensed or certified professional and that any advice you give is based solely on your studies and your life experience.

Bakkerbaard likes this.
  10. 354897

354897 Member

did you(anyone) hire an attorney to review the book or did you just put a simple disclaimer that you felt covered the potential issues

i looked at many examples of christian books and they dont seem to have any disclaimers, is there a reason for this or its not necessary somehow

11. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

The trouble with that kind of disclaimer is that you're essentially saying "hey peeps i'm not qualified to give this advice i just gave" that spells lawsuit... the best advice is if its the kind of advice that requires a professional certification, don't give it unless you have said certification

The more general disclaimer which is more of a trigger warning like "hey this is a christian book" or "This book contains strong themes of domestic violence" or whatever... is fine... except that you can often avoid it by calling out said trigger on the cover or in the blurb

12. SapereAude

Good point.

Being licensed in two professions, holding a professional title in a third, and having in the past been certified in a fourth, I tend to be a bit anal about practicing outside one's area of expertise. I agree -- rather than a disclaimer, it would be better not to give advice that might be construed as "professional" advice (unless one is a member of that particular profession).

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  13. marshipan

The disclaimer would have nothing to do with legal matters. It's just a direct sentence to make it clear to readers if there is sensitive content.

14. 354897

354897 Member

i have read countless webpages about disclaimers and made a very long one but then thought it should be simpler, i reduced to to about a page lol

off of my readings in a disclaimer you say something like this is not professional advise and these represents my opinions kind of thing, and if you dont have expertise in an area that should not say that you do(even if you give advise about potentially professional topics, your covered if you say its an opinion and not fact), but if you do have expertise then disclaim that they are not your client, and that is it for general educational or entertainment purposes only

would it hurt me if i used my 1 page long disclaimer (2 page on 6x9) i tried to make is more freindly and personal

here is what my current disclaimer includes:quick description of book,that its my opinons,disclaim not opinions of the association im with,not inteded to malign people ,expereinces may vary, every attempt to make sure not errors but no gaurentee of it(error disclaimer),as is no warrenty,not professional advise,figuritively speaking,fair use statment,other misc issues addressed, and a final of agree to bound by this disclaimer(2 sentances)

i started off with a disclaimer generator and modified it and added other things that i saw on other sites

SapereAude did you use a disclaimer in your book(s)

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  15. big soft moose

seriously talk to a lawyer - don't get that kind of advice from the internet...

(personally ive never put a disclaimer on my writing other than the basic copyright text... but i'm writing fiction... writing advice is potentially more complicated)

16. SapereAude

As I commented above, my views on this are perhaps coloured (or, as some might say, 'informed") by the fact that I hold multiple professional licenses, registrations, and certifications, and I know that I can step into deep kimchee if I presume to practice outside of my areas of expertise and licensure. I have to disagree with marshipan: a disclaimer has everything to do with legal matters. You put in a disclaimer so that if someone follows your advice (again, please note: the noun form is "advice" with a 'c;' the verb form is "advise" with an 's') and gets hurt, killed, or loses their entire life savings, you have at least something to hang your hat on when they sue you.

[ https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/advise-vs-advice-usage ]

That said -- I have been involved in organizing and officiating at any number of automobile speed and off-road events. We always had each entrant (and passengers, for the off-road events) sign a waiver, but our lawyers also cautioned us that the waivers only provide limited protection. The same applies to disclaimers, I suspect. "I'm not a trained psychologist or an ordained clergyman so I'm not really qualified to give anyone advice, but here's my advice anyway. Take it for what it's worth." I don't know how much legal protection that would give you if, for example, someone going through a rough patch read your book, mentioned it to a close relative, and then went out and committed suicide.

On reflection, I have to agree that big soft moose's suggestion that if you're not qualified to be giving advice, it's probably better to not give advice. How important is the advice-giving to the book? Do you have to give advice?

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  17. big soft moose

The difference here is what you mean by disclaimer

Sapre is thinking of the "I'm not a lawyer so take my advice with a pinch of salt type....as i said before, that isnt a good idea... if you're not a lawyer don't give legal advice (likewise for doctors, financial advisers etc )

if you decide that you must give advice you're not qualified to give and want a disclaimer to limit your liability... you absolutely need a lawyer to write said disclaimer... not (ironically) a bunch of lay people on a writers forum

what marshipan is talking about is the sort of disclaimer that says for example 'this book contains rape and strong themes of domestic violence, reader discretion is advised' that has nothing to do with law, it's about reader experience and not getting bad reviews

marshipan likes this.
  18. SapereAude

An interesting distinction. I would not (and don't) consider the latter to be a disclaimer; that's just a notice.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disclaimer

19. 354897

354897 Member

im not that good at grammar are you saying i use advice in a disclaimer rather than advise.

i dissagree off my readings of multiple disclaimer webpages you can give advise about anything you want even its professional as long as you have a disclaimer stateing its options and not facts, and that it is not professional advise of any sort, people have blogs talking about all sorts of things includeing professional matters. they also suggest having a disclaimer built into your webpage (they have disclaimer generators for webpages)

this is a legal matter someone can sue over these matters, but it is of course good to warn people also, but it is a legal warning to prevent "negligence" on the behalf of the writer.

20. big soft moose

You can give advice about anything you like... and when people follow that advice and suffer loss or harm they can then sue you... the court will decide whether the disclaimer is adequate protection or not - which is why you absolutely need a lawyer to write any disclaimer you intend to rely on... not a generator or advice from a web forum

and the noun is advice.... you give advice... advise is a verb... in this case I advise you to talk to an actual lawyer rather than relying on potentially inaccurate or poorly understood advice found on line

21. SapereAude

I have provided the correct word twice, as well as giving you a link to an article explaining the difference between "advice" and "advise,"and big soft moose has also now explained the difference. I'm venturing off-topic here but, since you came here looking for help with self-publishing and, by your own admission, you are not good with grammar, I feel I should ask you if you are going to have an editor go over your manuscript before you publish it. If your book contains grammatical errors, and things like using the wrong word, you and your book will not have any credibility.

Don't rely on your word processor's built-in spelling and grammar checker. Those tools can only go so far. Both "advice" and "advise" are words. If you use the wrong one, it won't show up in a spell checker and, depending on the sentence, it also may not show up in a grammar checker. Writers should never think they can get by with checking/editing their own work.

I have written articles for an on-line magazine. Before they get published, I post them to a behind-the-scenes area on the magazine's web site, where anywhere from one to three other contributing editors read the drafts and flag any errors they see or things they consider in need of polishing. Only after that review do any of the articles go live. Despite that process, I have on occasion gone back to articles I wrote years ago, looking for information or quotations, and the first thing I see when I open the article is a typo or spelling or grammar mistake that escaped me and all the editors at the time of publication.

Please get someone besides yourself to edit your manuscript.

As to the disclaimer: Yes, you can certainly offer opinions and even advice about anything. And, as big soft moose mentioned (and as I tried to point out), if someone follows your advice and gets hurt or suffers a loss, they can sue you. Doctors, lawyers, architects, engineers, and other professionals whose work is providing advice carry professional liability insurance. I believe most (or all) clergymen do, also. A written disclaimer is not a magic talisman -- it won't and can't protect you from or against all lawsuits. That's why big soft moose suggested that, if you are going to use a disclaimer, you should have it written by an attorney. You want to make it as good as possible.

Personal opinion: The purpose of a disclaimer is not to be friendly, it's to protect you against lawsuits. I think a disclaimer that takes up two pages, or even all of one page, is probably much too long.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  22. marshipan

Yeah, we call them "content warnings" or "author notes". I thought he was talking about these since I see them frequently in the front of books I've been reading the last year. I wasn't aware he was talking about legal issues.

23. big soft moose

and tbh a disclaimer that says "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, YOU FOLLOW MY INANE DRIVEL AT YOUR OWN RISK" is hardly a selling point for an advice book. most people want a book by someone who actually is an expert in the field and whose advice they can trust

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  24. SapereAude

Timing is everything. I just found in my e-mail inbox a link to a checklist for book disclaimers. It may be of some use or interest to readers of this discussion.

https://cascadiaauthorservices.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/The-Book-Legal-Disclaimer-Checklist.pdf?__s=noaoihubuah9e8yp9rgg

A couple of points that struck me as pertinent to this discussion:

354897 likes this.
  25. big soft moose

Although be aware that none of those things are 100%... don't be misled into thinking that because you've stated those things you can't be sued or that suit won't be successful. That will depend very much on the general message communicated by your book (e.g If you state in the tiny print that you're not a financial adviser but your book title is "double your money in the stock market, guaranteed" ... you can still absolutely be sued, because your title implies the expertise regardless of whether you've disclaimed them)

likewise with disclaiming liability - you can't rely on this if the court feels that your book otherwise creates said liability

As I've said before If you're going to rely on it for legal protection you really need to get it written by an attorney, and not just any lawyer but one who is expert in the field.

In terms of managing our own liability I'm now closing this thread as we cannot afford to have the forum in a position where we are 'publishing' legal advice from non experts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.