1. Wilx

Wilx New Member

Questions from a newbie about graphomania

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Wilx, Sep 10, 2017.

First of all take my apologies for bad English. :) I'm foreign reader.

1) Is it worth to write just for a sake of it? For example lately there is nothing interesting happening in my life so I have nothing to write about. So should I just sit and write about some random meaningless stuff like the car that I saw under my window or room that I’m currently in? I have seen there are writing exercises like that. But what is the difference between writing this kind of stuff and so called graphomania? Won’t I become a graphoman if I will start to write just for a sake of writing?

2) Is there any point to push out ideas out of yourself like a toothpaste? Let’s take short story as an example. I need some plot, characters, idea. But what if nothing comes to my head? What if I don’t have that condition when words easily lay on the paper? Should I try to write by pushing myself?

3) How to expand my vocabulary? Most often advice that I hear is to read more. But is it efficient? Let’s say I learn ten-fifteen new words per book. But it takes at least few hours to complete that book. Won’t it be more practical to read a dictionary instead?

2. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Welcome to the forum. :superhello:

1. It can be, yes. It's an exercise in making the uninteresting into something interesting. As to graphomania - the fact that you're asking about becoming this instead of just obsessively writing - well, I think you're safe.

2. There can be, yes. This works for some people, but not all. It may be worth trying and see if it works for you.

3. Read. Reading a dictionary is still reading, so you can go that way if you wish. The advantage to reading books is that you also can hone the skills of creative writing at the same time (which is not going to happen with a dictionary).

As an example for writing about the car under your window - don't just write about what you see. Try to imagine where it's been, where it came from, who's driving it, is it stolen? Was it inherited? Think about the person driving it and why they've parked under your window. Write that part.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

All skills require practice. That includes writing. I doubt that graphomania is in any way a risk.

I've rarely heard of a published author who only wrote when fully inspired. But that's 'rarely', not 'never'. I'm dealing with this by writing ANY scene, related to the characters and scenes of my WIP, that inspires me, even if I don't know if or where it will fit. We'll see if that path ever gets me published.

Owning a tool doesn't equal being skilled with that tool. Knowing a word is less important than knowing how to use it. Each book will show you more ways to use many, many words, including familiar ones.

4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Play the what-if game. You see a car driving past. What if the person inside is about to commit suicide? Or ...what if the car is stolen? Or what if there is a body concealed in the boot? Or what if it's the person's first car, and this is her first trip alone after passing her driving test? Think about what could happen next, and etc.

I'm afraid there's no shortcut to using your imagination, if you want to write fiction. You can use random things to get it started. Or you can start from scratch and imagine a story. Is there some point in your own life that you wish you'd done something different from what you did? Maybe go back to that point (in fiction) and turn it around. What if you'd done the 'other' thing. What would have happened then? Or maybe it's something you know you did right, but could easily have done differently and screwed up.

Or maybe you have a family member whom you love. Imagine that family member is somebody you actually hate. Why? Make a story out of it.

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

strangely enough my life doesnt involve leading in a recon team in a post apocalyptic war , or a rescue mission in a neo fascist america - you don't need to have an interesting life to write, in fact it can often be an escape from the mundanity of every day life