Quick question: plausible reason for two teachers to be suspended or fired

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by dreamersky1212, Jan 25, 2016.

1. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi Oscar,

First could you please pay some attention to your posts.

"What teacher could possibly think they would get with that? Especially the Nazi thing. and how the agents be involved in that?"

This makes no sense. There are just far too many missing words.

To expand on the idea, teachers in New Zealand at least have to have lesson plans. And these plans are usually at least seen by the principals. They usually as I understand from my friends in the profession, cover a term in advance. And often these days they are online. Uploaded to the cloud etc.

Now it is a requirement that teachers teach the curriculum. They get some flexibility in how they do it, but they don't get to teach something else. And they don't get to teach something that is an out and out opposition to the curriculum.

Also in America as I understand, and to a lessor extent around the world, teaching religious education in a class which isn't religious in nature is a no no. Hence the creationism being taught in science class when it is not science.

Likewise, teaching things that are criminal is a no no. This includes things like holocaust denial, which is a crime in many western countries. Hence the Nazi thing.

So really what the substitute teachers need to do is gain access to the lesson plans of the original teachers, and change them. Then launch a complaint to say that little Johnny was taught this.

It may not get the teachers concerned fired. But I would expect it would get them stood down for a period of time while an investigation takes place.

Cheers, Greg.

2. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

As am I-- if Only a Sub.

KhalieLa likes this.
  3. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I missed an "away" and a "would" and you can't fill in those gaps despite the obvious context? And why would you act like you're refuting a point with all this detailed stuff you said if you apparently couldn't understand that point? Also, I was using my phone, which has a small sensitive typing pad, it's very easy to mistype if you're also going fast because you have other things going on, lay off please.
    And as for your explanation itself, there is no way in hell that any teacher would be a holocaust denier because their lesson plan said so. They would ask why that is there before just blindly accepting an obvious problem for them and for the accuracy and respectability of their class. Similar with creationism but less so. Do you imagine teachers are drones?

4. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi Oscar,

I think you've got my post backwards. I'm not saying teachers would teach such things because they were in the lesson plan. (Teachers write their own lesson plans by the way, based on the curriculum, which very much means that they aren't drones.) I am saying that if they were outed as having lesson plans that included those things they'd be in hot water. Isn't that fairly obvious?

Cheers, Greg.

5. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Not I didn't find it obvious. And then the point is why would a teacher write such a lesson plan? They would now it's illegal, they either can't use it or they get in trouble. Such a fruitful endeavour.
    Btw I want you to know this isn't a spite or demeaning thing. I feel like we've been a bit close to that. But I just want a discussion, we should be polite.

6. Tea@3

Tea@3 Senior Member

I am a public school teacher, 16 years experience.

Most of the reasons people have offered here would create a disciplinary action but not a firing. Disciplinary action requires hearings where they deliberate in court or state board meetings for months or years. You need something that is fast, definite, clear-cut?

• Relationship with a student is a fast guaranteed way.
    • Anything involving money is a sure way to get fired. Usually the fastest way. (band booster funds went missing, etc)
    • Drugs, stemming off law enforcement action. (meaning the firing is piggy-backed on top of a police arrest, either on or off campus. On campus may fit your story nicely, since it could be set up by the replacements?)
    A guy I know hit a student one time, but he was allowed to resign. A principal I know recorded teachers' conference audio without their knowledge which violates GA's two party rule, so he was let go. Or resigned, I can't recall. First day of school a teacher I went through orientation with hit a student with a yardstick, they took photos and let her resign too.

Over Christmas break 14-15 a coach at our high school was fired because he got two students pregnant. He had a wife and his own kids at home at the time, smh. I think he was outright fired. (and this is a small town)

Most of the time even if it's a fireable offense, they are allowed to resign in lieu of firing.

Maybe you should research top 25 teacher firings since year 200 or something. Then if you want the juicy stuff, go read the board minutes from the meeting in that city. (most are online)

I also echo what the other poster said about unions. The game is different from state to state, so learn your setting's particulars well.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    dreamersky1212 likes this.