1. heather_ashcraft

heather_ashcraft New Member

quick question,prevalence of coffee intake for flow of thought?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by heather_ashcraft, Jul 26, 2011.

just a quick question..how many of you consume alot of coffee?i drink anywhere from two to 8 pots a day

often using close to a measured cup of coffee per pot

this is one of the usual cornerstones of getting any of my thought going in regardings to writing

2. LostInFiction

LostInFiction New Member

Wow, that is some serious coffee power you've got going on :)
    For me it depends where I'm writing. If I'm in a cafe then I would definately have a cappuccino (with choc sprinkles, of course). At home I rarely drink coffee. I have to be in the mood for coffee and it's usually a winter thing. I always have water beside me though.
    Not very rock 'n' roll of me, I'm afraid. lol.

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I'm an all-or-nothing type person. Normally I'm not into coffee, I don't like the taste that much, but if I'm on a deadline I'll get 5-7 shots of expresso at Dunkin Donuts. :)

Btw Heather, I'm working on your beta review right now - almost done.

4. MRD

MRD New Member

I don't drink coffee. Never even tried it.

The closest thing to coffee that I drink is hot chocolate.

5. MRD

MRD New Member

Double post, sorry.

6. heyitsmary

heyitsmary New Member

I love coffee, but I try to limit how much I drink because too much caffeine makes me jittery. I usually only have one cup a day maximum. Sometimes only a few cups a week. I don't usually drink it while I'm writing because I tend to write at night and I can't drink coffee at night or I'll never go to sleep.

7. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

I rarely drink coffee. I treat it as a delicacy to rarely indulge in during the winter.

8. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I love coffee, but don't drink more than 1-2 cups a day at most.

What kind? All kinds. Must be the Italian in me. :p

Strangely when I'm writing I prefer a cup of tea, preferably with sugar & lemon. :)

9. Pea

Pea super pea!

Tea keeps me running throughout the writing day, both green and black. :cool:

10. JSLCampbell

JSLCampbell New Member

I'm with LostInFiction about the winter thing. I drink Coffee when it's cold am I'm writing. Usually in the summer though I switch to Lucozade or Red Bull. For writing at least. I drink Alcohol to review.

11. coffeebeanmachine

coffeebeanmachine New Member

I often drink several cups per day, but have been trying to cut back for health reasons. I've been a caffeine addict for a number of years now, and I've noticed that for me, it has a lot to do with moody alteration. It keeps my spirits up and I think it also gives me creative energy.

You may have noticed my screen name is coffeebeanmachine. Some people have asked me if that's a business. Nope--I just process coffee like a machine. :D

12. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Don't drink coffee or tea. Stains your teeth you know :p
    Also, and more importantly, don't like it. Coffee especially. The taste makes me gag.

13. coffeebeanmachine

coffeebeanmachine New Member

Oh, forgot to mention that I'm fron Scandinavian stock, so the coffee drinking habit goes back at least a couple generations. My grandfather was a farmer in California, and even in the middle of summer when it was well over 100 degrees F, he'd drink a thermos of coffee while working out in the fields. He claimed the hot coffee made him sweat more and cooled him off. Personally, I think that was an excuse. :rolleyes:

14. Dr Guillotine

Dr Guillotine New Member

Never drink coffee. I agree with hot chocolate tho.

Must be the caffeine because I tend to drink sodas that don't have it. Never really thought about it before.

15. martial_wolf

martial_wolf New Member

I like to have something to drink while I'm writing too. A lot of the time I'll go for coffee because it's got this wonderful way of doing exactly what an upper does. Make me more alert. Sometimes I'll go way out there though and I'll get myself something awesome like a rootbeer float or milkshake. Ask in another year or so and I'll probably answer "I don't get much writing done these days...but that's on account of being able to drink whiskey when I try." (joking, joking)

16. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

I drink coffee when I'm writing - sometimes, it helps to put down the pen for a minute, and go grab another cup. I'm not the sort of person who can just sit and crank out a whole chapter in one go, so stopping to do some menial task helps me stay focused. Er, hope that makes sense :p

Also I love the taste of it. I could live off coffee if I needed to.

17. Rennuruof

Rennuruof Member

I drink water, fruit juice and sometimes powerade. Been of the caffeine/soda thing for three months, and I feel great. :) But I never much cared for coffee, even worked for a Cinnabon and made coffee all day.

18. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I deliberately limit my coffee intake. Maybe I'd write more if I didn't. :)

19. Naiyn

Naiyn New Member

I can't imagine life without coffee, though I don't drink that much when I think about it-- at least compared to many people I know. Typically during my work-week, I'll have one, sometimes two cups and then I want nothing to do with it. But if I'm having a "me" day (no obligations, perfect for writing,) I'll go through a full pot and be sad when it's gone.

20. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've been writing [creatively] for going on 6 decades and never once drank coffee before or while doing so... can't say the same for alcohol though, as there were a few middle years when i did indulge in 'the fruit of the vine' [and potato!] as words flowed with equal ease...

i don't see caffeine aiding thought, though it does keep one awake while thinking... ;-)

21. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I never drink alcohol when writing because I'm bad enough as it is. Coffee though is a life line. If I were in an old arcade game a cup of coffee would be my extra life collectible.

22. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

I don't mind a pint or a glass of wine while writing. Perferably drink that during dinner though. Coffee and tea are reserved for writing :D

23. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

Love coffee. Just bout an aerolatte today, so now I can froth my own milk and hopefully it will pay for itself by saving me a trip or two to Starbucks, not that I frequent that place much, anyway (I always like to know exactly what is going into my food/beverage). That said, usually I'm just a one-cuppa-day kind of guy, if I happen to wake up early and need a boost. :)

24. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

I don't really drink coffee in the mornings, so I can't say if it helps wake me up... I prefer to spend the morning doing minimal things involving thoughts anyway. But I feel no different in terms of writing/thinking if I consume coffee... I just stay awake longer. :p

I do drink it a fair bit though.