1. Fri

Fri New Member

Quickie research help - Mexican music

Discussion in 'Research' started by Fri, Jan 25, 2014.

Hello!

I'm working on a script for a concert, which will be a "performance" inside an online role-playing game which I contribute to.

As text content, I need some of the right terminology to talk about certain elements of Mexican music.

Specifically: In Spanish or in English, can anyone tell me what's the expression used to refer to the rising, wailing cry one hears male singers erupt, at the crux of country-style heartbreak songs? "Haaaaaaaaaaaaay-aiiiiiii-ay-ayyyyy!" Is it called "grito" in Spanish? Is there a special term in English at all for it?

And:
    What are the names of the specific style of music which this cry is most associated with? Banda, ranchera, mariachi? Something else? Are any of those right? Or wrong?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Yeehaw!

That's all I got. :p

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

I'm a lifelong aficionado of Mexican music and know what you're referring to... yes, I'd say 'grito mexicano' [usually just called 'grito'] is what you're looking for... and I'm sure I've heard it in both mariachi and ranchera... not so sure about banda, though...

Cogito likes this.
  4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

I'm a lifelong aficionado of Mexican music and know what you're referring to... yes, I'd say 'grito mexicano' [usually just called 'grito'] is what you're looking for... and I'm sure I've heard it in both mariachi and ranchera... not so sure about banda, though...

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Today is a good day (most of them are, to be honest) - I learned something new.

6. Fri

Fri New Member

Thanks a lot everyone!