1. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Quoting song lyrics in a story?

Discussion in 'Research' started by WriterDude, Nov 28, 2011.

Let's say I'm writing a story I intend to turn into a novel and publish. Now let's say I know some song lyrics that would be perfect to quote in the story (perhaps a character quoting it, or something.) How would I proceed to get the permission for it?

2. picklzzz

picklzzz New Member

Do you need permission? I don't know. I used song lyrics and just mentioned the name of the band or singer. My question to others now is, was this enough? Perhaps this would be a worry if ever getting published, or should it be reconciled before publishing is even attempted?

3. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

I'm not an expert or anything (or else I wouldn't ask in the first place), but I have seen many books that quotes stuff, and all of them have a "lyrics used by permission" and so on. So yeah, I think you need permission. The lyrics are copyrighted, isn't it? (but then, how do cover-bands get away with it? I know several coverbands dedicated a specific band. Hayseed Dixie and Queen Diamond, for instance.)

4. ScreamsfromtheCrematory

ScreamsfromtheCrematory New Member

Queen Diamond made me lol harder than I should have but I Imagine that if you quote the lyrics, then you should probably cite them later on in the book - have a section showing all of the bands you referenced, the particular release and song you quoted etc.