1. DueNorth

DueNorth Senior Member

Racing to the end

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by DueNorth, Aug 25, 2015.

I am turning the corner in the novel I have been imagining for months and working on for as long, having started in 11/14. I am now working on chapter 22, each being roughly 1500-1800 words. I am now crafting the climax which I had envisioned some time ago and have reworked in my mind many times, but not sat down to write until now. I find myself wanting to rush through it--and I think I will, then will go back and rewrite it to "flesh it out" with more detail, suspense, etc. I am reminded of a (the younger crowd will have no f'ing idea what this reference is and will totally date me and all of those who do know what the f' it is) a Bowery Boys sequence in which Slip Mahoney and Satch are suddenly in the cockpit of a small plane when the pilot becomes incapacitated. They find an instruction manual in the cockpit and open it to chapter one which reads, "Chapter One: How to Avoid Death in the Air," then quickly the manual quickly goes on in the very next page to "Chapter Two: Now That You Are Dead." As that book seems to skip some important steps, I find myself with a long lead-in of character and plot development, now wanting to rush to the conclusion. I know that I will not, but I am talking about fighting the impulse.

Now, being a guy, I know there is an easy metaphor lurking behind this dilemma regarding the impulse to rush things to a hasty conclusion, but in all seriousness, I am recognizing that there is so much craft involved in setting up the climax, and then having it play out in a way that is engaging, compelling, and memorable. (Okay, maybe it is a fitting metaphor, but wanting to talk about writing here.) Anyway, thoughts about pacing, particularly as you move towards and through scenes you've been building towards?

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I think it's totally natural to want to wrap up something you've been working on for nine months. I'm pretty sure pregnant women are excited to get the baby out. ;)

I sometimes need to jump ahead and write a later scene because I need to get it out of my head. Once it's on paper I can put it aside and come back to it when I reach that point naturally, and usually find my writing was bad because I was too eager to get to the exciting bits. I see it all as good practice.

DueNorth likes this.
  3. DueNorth

DueNorth Senior Member

Good points--once again. Maybe would be easier if I just put you on speed dial--oh yeah, that'd have to be Skype as we're on different continents. Thanks for your help (again).

4. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I write entire first drafts that way, or at least a good part of them. Reading through afterwards, I always reflect on how it all goes by in 190km/h and that I need to flesh it all out in revision. And I do. I think for me, it't important to get the first draft written pretty fast, while I'm still in that momentum and before I start to doubt the entire project. :) Once I have that first draft, I can sit forever and flesh things out, taking my time to get things right, like detail, pacing etc.

As for wanting to rush through certain chapters or parts of the story that we've anticipated, I think it's pretty common. PLus, it almost never comes out the way we envision them, after having spent too much time thinking about them. So why sweat too much over them? First, get it written. Then, get it right. At least that is my motto. :)

Viridian and DueNorth like this.