Random and useless thoughts and facts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big soft moose, Sep 24, 2021.

1. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Currently Reading::
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Don't know whether to be impressed or concerned. This morning as my wife prepared to leave for a conference, an old and relatively obscure song ("How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away") by a San Francisco band in the late 60s, Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks, arose in my mind. So on a whim I asked Alexa to play it. She found it instantly. In the old days I would have had to browse through obscure vinyl records or call a sympathetic local disc jockey if I didn't own it. Now it's all out there at my fingertips. What other data and such are now out there in the open? And where's the fun in that?

Madman likes this.
  2. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

Supposedly, in China, you can get a Spam burger with crushed Oreos at McDonalds. I’m not sure whose idea it was, but I can’t help but wonder if that individual still has a job.

3. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

As you would browse, I'd imagine you would find many other old goodies. That is a little like how the algorithm on youtube works today. You start watching a lot of classical music for example, and the algorithm will find more for you. That is how I found old French composers that I became very fond of. It then went further and through classical music I found medieval music thanks to the algorithm. It's not all bad, it can be useful if you feed the algorithm the right data.

It would probably have taken me years to find the things I like without the algorithm, going through obscure shops and pages. Perhaps I would never have found it, since no one in my circle is very interested in that type of music. But like with all things, the algorithm can be scary and abused.

4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    My experience with youtube's algorithm is rather different. You start off with, say, Leonard Cohen (not quite classical music, but still of a certain gravity) and keep watching suggested videos. In ten leaps or less, you're onto whatever payola-driven pop they're promoting this week.

Earp likes this.
  5. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    I guess I'm more amazed that the time from my articulating an oral question to location of that particular performer was almost instantaneous. Apparently I'm trying to use an analog mind to understand digital procedures. If those are the right words.

Madman likes this.
  6. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Hawaii is moving closer to Alaska by 7.5 cm every year.

7. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Has anyone else been seeing crop-tops everywhere or is it just in my woods? It seems like every other young woman is wearing one these days. Not complaining, but it's more bellybuttons than I expect to encounter on an average day.

8. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    My uni is still running under a mask mandate. I'm familiar with the general appearance of far more of my students' navels than mouths.

Not the Territory likes this.
  9. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    "Kamikaze drones" are just low-cost, short-range guided missiles; a natural outgrowth of modern technology.

Madman likes this.
  10. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

That is strange, I wonder why it's like that? Oh well, the algorithm maybe has a life of its own?

11. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I think it's slanted that way very deliberately.

Madman likes this.
  12. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

The practice of printing paper money began around 960 AD in China.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  13. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

The practice of printing counterfeit paper money began around 961 AD in China.

14. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    While re-reading John Hersey's "Hiroshima" story, I recalled that my father, a WW2 vet, cancelled his subscription to the New Yorker magazine after it devoted a full issue to the story. Dad was a gentle man, and I'm sure the tales of suffering inflicted by the A-bomb would have moved him deeply, but he was also a veteran of the Pacific Theater and though he didn't see action in the Phillipines or other Asiatic islands, he knew of the atrocities committed by the Japanese Army against both allied servicemen and local people, and couldn't bring himself to sympathize with the plight of innocent Japanese civilians. That's why war is Hell, because it dehumanizes everyone.

15. Earp

The Detroit Lions lost to the Seattle Seahawks today, 48 - 45. That's the first time that score has occurred in NFL history.

16. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

My great uncle fought in the European theatre and was involved with the liberation of I think Belsen ( I could be wrong which ever camp was liberated by the British on the Luneberg heath)

his take on the atom bomb was “ they should have dropped it on Berlin “

17. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

In the early 1990s, Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport introduced pictures of flies to its men's room urinals in an effort to reduce "spillage", or the amount of urine which spills onto the floor and must then be cleaned.

It worked. Men aimed for the flies. Spillage was reduced by 80%.

AntPoems likes this.
  18. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

There was a period of several years (might have been a couple of decades) when one of the major U.S. manufacturers of toilet fixtures (I think it was American standard, but possibly Kohler) painted a fly somewhere inside of each urinal before applying the final, clear glaze. That was the reason.

Xoic and Louanne Learning like this.
  19. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

The modern version would be video monitors for the backboard of the urinal, with what appear to be actual flies moving around. Of course some heavy duty urine-proof glass in front as well.

I'm thinking of something like the little fly walking around on 'your TV screen' at the beginning of the Cronenberg Fly remake. Something like this:

[​IMG]

Maybe it could even be an accuracy-based video game? Nevermind. Probably not a good idea.

Louanne Learning likes this.
  20. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    There was a certain American celebrity who attained notoriety in the late 60s/early 70s with a visit to North Vietnam in opposition to the US war. For quite a while at surplus stores one could buy stickers with her face on them, intended to be placed in urinals.

21. Catriona Grace

Flies and target practice for, um, yes...

Such a varied forum.

Xoic likes this.
  22. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Don't forget about cigarette butts... they come apart in tufts of tobacco!

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  23. Earp

Headline of the Day from The Onion:

Palace Staff Decides Not To Pack Up Funeral Stuff Just Yet After Seeing King Charles Up Close

24. Catriona Grace

Poor Charlie. When he gets to the Great Beyond, he and Edward VII can commiserate.

25. Earp

MMA is fine, I guess, but I'm old enough to be disturbed by women punching each other.