Random Thought Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Justin Phillips, Apr 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Hey @Homer Potvin, I saw this yesterday in the 7-11 (yes, the actual 7-11, not a competitor). How do the prices stack up?

upload_2021-9-5_0-10-33.png

With today's exchange rate, that's $10.96 USD for 700ml (23.67 fl oz.) at 23:00pm on a Friday night.

2. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

We raise grass-fed beef. We eat wild game.

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

In a real map, the scale is a true scale, of course, but in a game the scale is probably there more for in game play time references. If it would take a truck say 3 hours to go from Dallas to Austin then in that game it would take about 10 minutes since 180/19=9.5 minutes. I think that is the purpose. I think the game has even been adding more 'roads' to increase possible gameplay.

I think that's the idea anyway.

4. Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington Senior Member

But how does it KNOW?

5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

How does the little dude in the refrigerator know to turn the light on when you open the door? The unsolvable mysteries of life.

Glen Barrington likes this.
  6. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

"The total investment necessary to begin operation of a traditional McDonald’s franchise ranges from $1,008,000 to $2,214,080.

Why would anybody with $2.2 million in cash buy a seven-day-a-week job?

7. Bruce Johnson

If one does it right, they can outsource the managerial tasks. Also, some of that investment would result in the acquisition of a tangible asset that could be sold later if necessary, depending on the terms (I think a franchise usually comes with the sole rights to operate in a certain radius or block).

I wouldn't invest that kind of money in a fast food restaurant right now though. But in the past, it was a proven system.

8. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Actually, that's the only restaurant I would invest in right now. With the labor and food shortages, the McDonald's of the world are cleaning up. Especially in resort towns. When I was up in NH a few days ago, the traditional restaurants were on veritable life support trying to open their doors while the drive thru fast food joints had police directing the traffic. The poor tourists had nowhere else to eat. Very sobering for me as a restaurateur.

9. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

I know this can be said about all generations but damn.. so many iconic singers of the 90s died young.

Glen Barrington likes this.
  10. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

now I am confused . . . what does "32nds" mean?

don't video games have their own "rules" for how-fast-on-what (foot or a vehicle or magic or else) one can travel in their worlds?

11. Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington Senior Member

Any fool can die young and leave an interesting story, but it takes brains, foresight, and a bit of treachery, to live long enough to bore your grandchildren.

12. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Sort of... I think. But the speeds in American Truck Simulator and European Truck Simulator 2 seem pretty authentic in relation to the world.

13. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

with money in the bank returning less than 1%, if you've got 2million to invest MaccD looks like a reasonableplace to do it... if it returns 20k net profit then you're ahead of bank rates. (and you don't do the 7 days yourself - you hire minimum wage staff and slightly more than min wage management...)

14. Xoic

Ah, you must be a Metric person! Lucky you. Fractions are so much fun to learn! First there are 1/2s (halfs), then half of a half is a quarter (1/4), half of a quarter is an eighth, half of an eighth is a sixteenth, and finally half of a sixteenth is a thirty-second. So one thirty-second, or 1/32. No wonder American children need Ritalin! :cool:

15. Earp

Interesting article here:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-of-communications/an-app-called-libby-and-the-surprisingly-big-business-of-library-e-books

From the article:

"Libraries can buy print books in bulk from any seller that they choose, and, thanks to a legal principle called the first-sale doctrine, they have the right to lend those books to any number of readers free of charge. But the first-sale doctrine does not apply to digital content."

16. Bruce Johnson

Does this apply to a finite number of digital copies? I've noticed some libraries offer digital copies for 'borrowing' but I don't know if this is through the publisher or if it's allowed if it is limited. It appears the 'borrowing' is similar to how a print copy would be handled - one copy could be loaned to one member at a time.

17. Xoic

I've run into ebooks on Archive.Org that are for borrowing, and they do seem to be from particular libraries. Some can only be borrowed for an hour, so if you want to read it you have to keep renewing it. Some can be borrowed for like a week or so. If it suddenly disappears on you though you can just renew it.

18. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

I have Libby and this is how it works with my library. They have a certain number of digital copies and if they're all checked out you have to place a hold and wait for one to come available.

19. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

different thicknesses and profiles (at least over here) makes it easy to pick up the right one

20. Earp

Thanks. Figured it out and deleted my post.

21. OurJud

Do you ever get the feeling you’re just playing at life?

22. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

My dude, I'm just trying to get by without going insane.

AntPoems and OurJud like this.
  23. OurJud

Tell me about it. It’s all a game. Everything we must do is for the benefit of others. We’re controlled. We must conform and think as others do. We’re supposed to follow a path because the masses see it as ‘normal’; marry in your mid-twenties, get a career and a mortgage, 2.4 children. Life insurance, a pension...

I don’t have suicidal thoughts, but if I could press a button that erased me from history, I’d be sorely tempted.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  24. OurJud

Does anyone else sometimes wake up in the early hours with a confused mind, bordering on delirium? I do. I woke at about 3am this morning trying to process colours. I was trying to see red, green and blue, but could only see shades of grey and turquoise. But then I found I’d lost all sense of self - not who I was, but what. I was an entity, but all I could ‘see’ were huge, shifting blocks of something pliable, similar to modelling clay, all jostling for position and trying to stake their claim as ‘me’.

I wasn’t dreaming.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  25. OurJud

Why are the Brits celebrating this female tennis player winning some grandslam, like we’ve finally produced a female player good enough to win big?

What all these people fail to realise is that she was good enough, precisely because she has such a diverse and mixed nationality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.