Read what you write

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by seira, Mar 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

That's too damn bad, then, because you don't get to control what I post.

Get over yourself. Be grateful people try to help you, or odds are they'll stop trying to.
    Try saying "Thank you, but that wasn't what I was looking for" instead of bitching about it.

2. seira

seira Member

Asking me about the details of my plot was fine, it lent a hand to helping me with what to read in the fiction area.

But at no point did I ask for opinions or suggestions on my idea, you took that upon yourself, it is a clear sign of disrepect to critique that which was not asked for. If I want to write a depressing story without a “Hollywood” ending that everyone is accustomed too, that is my business and not yours. I have repeatedly been thanking people throughout this, including you. Stop being so arrogant, and although I don't get to say what you post, I pointed out you weren't giving me what I was asking for. You're the one getting upset here.

I have no interest in continuing this debate with you and again, if you can't suggestion anything useful as others have done, then please move on.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    cosmic lights likes this.
  3. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

This happens all the time. You don't own the forum or the thread. Plus you misinterpreted the posts.
    "I wasn't asking for your suggestions either" is nothing but snark.
    And don't pretend to be able to read minds over the internet. I'm no more upset than a kindergarten teacher who's trying to teach the little kiddies manners. Did yours teach you them?
    Sauce for the goose: I wasn't asking for your suggestions about where or what to post.
    "How dare you!" he mock-screamed.

So, you're new to Internet forums, I take it? I'm not.
    Before the Internet, back when the Internet was ARPAnet and required goverment approval to use, back when forums were USENET and used 9600bps Telebit Trailblazers as a backbone, I was there.

4. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

I've actually been doing some searching online and it IS really tough to find something similar to what you're doing. I can't even think of any TV shows or Movies to suggest. Slavery/imprisonment mixed with magic in a fantasy setting. Quite unique it seems!

Also, you'll get over opinionated people everywhere in the world, just best to pay them no mind.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    seira likes this.
  5. seira

seira Member

Aw bless your heart for taking the time too look.
    It is really awkward. It was a struggle to find a way to blend the two ideas which was one someone suggested looking for something similar as a guide. I've read tons of non-fiction just to get the emotion of the situation. Just ordered Elratnris as someone kindly suggested it, it looks good anyway.
    Again thanks for your time answering this question.

Harmonices likes this.
  6. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

This can be true, but sometimes it's more fun to engage with them.
    But please don't try to suggest to @seira what to do, she didn't ask for your opinion. ;)

7. cosmic lights

Okay now you're being nasty and rude.

BayView likes this.
  8. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Who is? And in what way?

9. cosmic lights

You are.
    This asker did thank you for your help and then politely said you were off topic, now you're being an arse about it. It's her question. Why keep coming back here to be spiteful? Why not just go somewhere else and carry on answering questions?

10. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Oh yeah order it. It's told from 3 POVs. For me, I think I've boiled it down to the fact that Sanderson's books are generally quite formulaic, with fairly formulaic writing - the style is bland without much emotional depth, all quite technical. He does, however, have pretty awesome magic systems and even better premises. I think with Elantris, perhaps because it's his debut, it was less formulaic. It has emotional depth that the others lacked. There's something a little more complex about the characters in Elantris. I would not mind at all if he'd write another book in that universe, but alas :bigfrown:

Having said all this, he's wildly successful, so what do I know? I didn't know other people thought Elantris was his best one. I've often thought it's a shame - clearly he can write, and even writing deliberate formula is a skill in its own right - so why not write something a bit... more emotionally complex?

Disclaimer: I've read 4.5 of his books. The .5 is because one of them was a short story. So I have by no means read all of his stuff.

11. seira

seira Member

@Mckk - I think he studied Creative Writing in his degree. I've noticed that some writers who did study writing in uni do have slightly more formulaic writing styles

Mckk likes this.
  12. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Just my inner teacher, I think. I find her attitude counter-productive.
    And everyone with any experience knows that telling someone to stop posting is the worst possible way to get them to stop posting. It never works.

I was writing for impact: I don't consider that particularly rude.
    Pretending to be an internet mind-reader, I consider rude.

13. cosmic lights

lol. ever think she was giving you reverse psychology

you took a liberty and got coorected. take it like a man as Mckk did

and don't say i'm a woman lol

14. seira

seira Member

Damn you lights you fooled my plan.
    By the end of the night I intended to have everyone on here acting like Stepford wives.

15. cosmic lights

That movie put the willies up me

16. seira

seira Member

Lucky you I must watch it again! :D:D

17. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

What, trolling me?
    I posted this:

I wasn't questioning your premise , but it's hard to know what to recommend when I didn't know what it was. Your premise, to the extent you've shared it, seems fine.

And I wasn't suggesting you write "something better" than your current premise, I was suggesting you might write something better (more uplifitng, more positive) than the horrible history that actually happened.
    and she went off on me about it.
    Lol. Took me a minute, I didn't recall saying you were a woman.
    And then I inferred the quote marks.
    No worries, even if I were a woman, I could take it like a man.
    There's only one thing a man can do that a woman can't, and boy does he want to.

18. Mckk

Hey wait, your concept is slavery mixed with fantasy? So why don't you just read Mistborn by Sanderson? The whole thing is about an oppressed/enslaved people seeking freedom (only read the first book myself, lost interest). It even basically starts that way.

I think even that short story I just mentioned had something like that in it - there was some prisoner's magical powers the royalty wanted to use - the prisoner was supposed to "create" a face or the king's body in order to pretend he was still alive or something, and in exchange she will win her freedom.

Northern Lights touches upon it too - children are taken to labs and experiments done on them, trying to split the children from their "daemons" (something akin to an animal familiar that has a soul tie with its child counterpart).

I think James Patterson had some soft sci-fi fantasy sorta premise in one book too - bunch of winged children stuck in a lab. I'm not sure if it's a series but the one I read, they had already escaped and the scientists were hunting them down. I guess it's not exactly slavery but it is still about people forced into situations and being used/trapped against their will.

How about Sweeney Todd? Not strictly slavery and not fantasy I guess, but it's kinda a tragic horror so there are probably elements that would be useful. Sweeney Todd's daughter is basically held prisoner by the judge.

Honestly, I think you'd get a lot of recommendations if you explained your concept properly - what's your basic plot? I really don't imagine slavery mixed with fantasy would be rare - it's more that it doesn't fall under a "genre" or "sub-genre" so it's hard to find unless you know the books.

Terry Goodkind's series (a very badly written series - but a bestseller) is pretty much all about slavery. The Mord-Siths or whatever those women in red leather are called basically operate as slaves. Richard Rahl (the MC) himself is taken away at one point as a slave (I forget which book - but I think this happens maybe twice. The first time because he was forced to go with the supposedly "good" guys to train his magic and he had to wear some weird collar that prevents him from leaving and using magic etc, and the second time I think he actually was a slave.) In a much later book in the series that I haven't read, but that I looked through at the book store, I saw a scene about Richard freeing a bunch of "slaves". Goodkind gets a bit philosophical though so I have no idea now if those were literal slaves or psychological slaves. I'd stopped reading his books by that point.

Depending on your outlook, the Bible might be a good source. I'm Christian so I wouldn't say that's "fantasy" - but there are supernatural elements, a God, and lots and lots of slavery. Think Moses going to the Pharaoh with "Let my people go!" and the 10 plagues. Then you have the Babylonians and the Jews' exile from Jerusalem where Jews like Daniel were forced to serve Gentiles. You also have Joseph literally sold into slavery by his 11 brothers to Egypt and his subsequent rise to power because of his ability to interpret dreams.

I dunno, to me, it seems like you're spoilt for choice :)

Harmonices and seira like this.
  19. cosmic lights

Get over it!

20. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

You do realize that no one can know what or who you're talking about when you provide no context?
    Forums are interwoven. You need to say who you're responding to, and what "it" is.

As for me, there's nothing to get over, unless you're telling me to get over having fun.
    Well, sorry, I don't think I can. I certainly hope not.

21. Mckk

Also, as resident mod in this thread currently (seeing as I'm part of the discussion), keep things on topic please. I don't want to be seeing any reports. Please. Chill, everyone.

XRD_author likes this.
  22. seira

seira Member

Reverse psychology always works on men.

23. seira

seira Member

Aw thanks Mckk (it took your post a moment to show up)
    Currently looking at Mistborn.
    Thank you so much for your help so far really appreciated. One problem, now I may never get to write the book because I'll have so much reading to do!

Harmonices and Mckk like this.
  24. cosmic lights

@Mckk - am I allowed to post a summary of my plot here?

25. Mckk

Yeah I don't see why not, though probably in your own thread. You're only not allowed to post your own work up for critique until you've met certain requirements and then it should be posted under the Workshop. But just a summary of your plot asking people for opinions of whether it works etc, sure that's fine.

Harmonices likes this.