Reading-depression?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Tesoro, Aug 1, 2011.

1. AveryWhite

AveryWhite Active Member

Read 'North and South' by Elizabeth Gaskell! Highly recomend and a classic.
    Theres also 'wives and daughters' and another...i think 'Ruth'.
    Have you read 'Jane Eyre'?

1 person likes this.
  2. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I've started it, and somehow I got stuck somewhere but I have every intention to pick it up again soon :)
    I will see if I can find these ones, especially "north and south".

3. lostinwebspace

lostinwebspace Active Member

I feel this way sometimes, too. I check the library, grab maybe five or six books, and finish one. I find I'm more apt to stick with a book if I know the author rather than someone new. I don't have rhyme or reason either. I'll hate a genre but finish a book. I'll love another genre but put the book down. I guess one book is better than the other, but that doesn't seem to always be the case.

I don't know if that's really answering the question. Sometimes we like to entertain, but sometimes we like to be entertained.

1 person likes this.
  4. wannabewriter

wannabewriter New Member

I personally like to read something i don't usually read, like:
    Jane Austen
    Charles Dickens
    JD Salinger

Or pick up some YA:
    RL Stine is good for this, its out of the ordinary and well done in my opinion. ;)

5. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I now and then have periods where I just can't read for some reason, most often because something in my life is happening so I can't focus. For me, all I can do is wait until the want comes back. Sometimes I go months without reading a book, then suddenly I want to read again and I devour 3 or 4 in a couple of weeks. It's pretty typical of me. Anyway, in a bit of a reading slump myself right now, so I'm gonna take some advice from here as well.

6. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Agreed. And a good way to do that is to join a local reading group. You'll end up reading some stuff you wouldn't usually consider, and the discussion will help you to get more out of it.

7. InkwellC

InkwellC New Member

I go back and forth. Most of my day is spent reading or scanning through research for the next article I'm writing up so it gets to be hard to pick up a book for enjoyment. For me lately it seems to be more of self help books and things to help me move forward in life. One of my favorites has and always will be the Bible.

Good luck in finding the interesting read!

8. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I feel like that sometimes. I usually ask friends for book recs or look up lists of books that are classics and read those.

9. Darran

Darran New Member

Well, if the book isn't out there that you want to read...write it :)

10. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Eventually that is my plan :p And quite honestly, sometimes i get more out of reading my own stories than anything that I could find atm in the bookstore. But you know, sometimes you just wanna relax with a nice book, and reading and writing serves two different purposes.
    Right now I have both Margaret Mitchells "Gone with the wind" and Jane Austens "Emma" to read, and I'm looking forward to them. I think old classics is the way to go. :)

11. SerialCerealKiller

SerialCerealKiller New Member

You need a book to read? Something different, inspiring, perhaps even bizarre?
    John Dies at the End by David Wong. The scariest, funniest ride of my life. A book I would happily (and have happily) re-read over and over again (and I, too, am usually an avid non-re-reader!!!!)!