2. Silence

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both

83.3%
  1. Vellanney

Vellanney Member

Reading Your Writing Aloud

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Vellanney, Sep 24, 2019.

Normally I like to read what I've written in silence, and once I have most of it down, or think I'm done, I go back and re-read allowed. Tonight I actually had my word doc read my first 2 chapters to me, and I found that it helped a lot. Does anyone else do this? Do you guys have any friends that you ask to re-read stuff back to you?

2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Aloud, I think you mean.

Cave Troll and OurJud like this.
  3. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

In that I write ‘poetry’ (when I can be arsed) I should really be reading it aloud, but I rarely do.

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Of course you are allowed to read your own work, why wouldn't you be? o_O :p

Nope, I don't read my stuff aloud, cause then it just makes it feel weird.

OurJud likes this.
  5. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Work I'm try to edit I read aloud. It's great practice for finding awkward wording and stumbling points.

OurJud and Cave Troll like this.
  6. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

What @EFMingo said ^
    When there's nought but me and a falling tree in a forest, I'll read my stuff aloud. Matwoolf man encouraged me to do so.
    It helps—save for the timbering wood—I'm a solo thespian with an audience of none.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    OurJud, Cave Troll and EFMingo like this.
  7. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

What I have done before now, is paste a paragraph or two into one of these text-to-speech widget things. There’s a few online ones that vary in quality and how much text it allows you to paste, but if you can find one of the more natural sounding ones it can be quite effective.

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I don't see pictures or scenes when I write, I hear the words in my head. Same when I'm reading my work or someone else's writing. I hear the words. So, most of the time I can just read my work because it feels about the same. If a particular part is giving me trouble, I might read that section aloud. But the results tend to be about the same for me.

Poetry I always read aloud. And I read it aloud many times. With poetry, the sounds and placement of words is more important than in prose. It can take me weeks or months to write a poem to where I will submit it. Still, I have never published any poetry. But I also like to read poetry written by others aloud. It makes for a more beautiful and intense experience.

9. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Mostly I only read aloud during the editing process. Occasionally when I'm trying to achieve a specific effect with pacing, I'll read it aloud during the writing to see if the rhythm is OK.

EFMingo likes this.
  10. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Reading through the entire work aloud is one of my editing steps. Another is to use WORD's read-aloud function. I use the latter if my wife is around, because I can wear headphones doing it. Don't want her to think I'm THAT weird.

11. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I only read out loud to an audience.... and when I say "audience" I mean my dog. She has no idea what I'm saying, but she looks at me so intently and her tail wags, that its really encouraging. Almost like she's really happy and excited that I'm reading to her and only her.
    I also like reading my WIPs out loud to my sister (though she is not as thrilled and excitable as my dog!).
    I tend to catch more mistakes when I am reading to someone rather than just out loud to myself. I'm more conscious of errors when there is an audience.

N.Scott and deadrats like this.
  12. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

I use text to speech software. I found I catch more mistakes then reading out loud.