Real Names

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Nicoel, Jan 31, 2015.

1. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

I know that if there's product placement on TV, they have to show this with a little blue P at the start of the program but not sure how this works with books. I don't think anyone can stop you naming a product in a book unless you are slagging it off, then the manufacturer can sue you for defamation. (Unless, of course, you are writing an expose and have the scientific proof to back-up whatever bad stuff it is that you are saying about a particular product.)

Besides, Audi - after featuring heavily in the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy (without their knowledge or permission) - saw their sales increase by 28% in one particular month just because their cars were a prominent feature of the books.

And just like most publishers and agents, no one really knows which author or which book is going to be the next biggest thing so any book a manufacturer get the thumbs up in, should and would, see it positive publicity for them and who, in their right minds, is going to take offense at positive, free advertising?

2. TheWingedFox

TheWingedFox Banned

Audi and S&M.

Now there's a combination you don't see too often.

cutecat22 likes this.
  3. Lemon flavoured

Lemon flavoured Active Member

That's the case in the UK, although I don't know about anywhere else.

cutecat22 likes this.