'Real' Publishing - Beginner's Questions!

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Miss Red, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Miss Red

Miss Red Member

First post is edited, with some answers and new links to posts. I'm really learning a lot.

I'll add some recommendation material later, with wiki articles and helpful blogs.

2. swhibs123

swhibs123 Active Member

First, good for you for asking the questions. Do the research! When someone gives you an answer check it out, double check it, and tripple check it. You received a lot of interesting answers so far. Keep in mind that you're getting opinions, and you are responsible for checking the sources of those opinions to see if they correlate with fact. If I could clarify a couple things, too:

1. It's called TRADE publishing, or COMMERCIAL publishing. It is not called traditional publishing.

2. Sometimes going the trade route is the smart move, and sometimes it's not. Sometimes going the self-publishing route is the smart move, and sometimes it's not. BOTH are totally viable options. No, not 10 years from now, but presently there are countless writers making a living wage self publishing.

3. A "small press" is a publisher which grosses less than 50 million dollars a year. There are some AWESOME small presses, but those are the ones making millions a year. There are many clueless small presses. Avoid those. When you sign with a publisher you should expect an advance.

3(a) First time authors get advances all the time. The "First time authors don't always get an advance" mantra is garbage. See point number 7 for clarification on this.

4. Judging by your answers in your post about what an agent it, I think you still have some research to do: An agent can help you in so many ways - and that's true whether your goal is to self publish or trade publish or a combination of the two. It's not really about you "hiring" them but more of you and them working together. You ask them if they're willing to work with you to sell your books - they look at your work and decide if they want to do that. NOT ALL AGENTS ARE EQUAL. Please understand that. Reputation, experience, and sales history tell the story of an agent. "AGENT" is not an entry level position.

5. If a publisher EVER asks you for money, they are not a publisher. Run. They're a scam. Period.

6. Of course you don't need a degree. There are many bestselling authors who are teenagers, still in high school. Some of the most well known authors don't have college educations: i.e. Neil Gaiman.

7. Getting a publishing contract with a publisher is easy. Anyone and their dog can do it if you lower the bar far enough. Don't lower the bar too far. A publisher should be willing to share numbers with you: i.e. how many copies of their top 10 titles have they sold. In fact, it's usually something they brag about, and put on promotional material. Do not sign a contract without having it looked at by someone who knows what they're talking about: A lawyer specializing in intellectual property (specifically books), an agent, or at the very least, one of the free options like Writer Beware where at least you'll get some feedback.

Look at who the publisher publishes. Do you recognize any of those names? Did an agent do the deal with the publisher? If not, why? If agents don't submit to the publisher, that's something you should look into.

Aim high when you're looking to be published. Aim for publishers with a track-record of awesome sales, of treating authors good, and of paying for your stuff.

... will come back if I have time to address some of your other questions..

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    jannert and Miss Red like this.
  3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think this battle's been fought and lost. Lots of reputable industry folk are using 'traditional' to refer to trade/commercial publishing now. That doesn't mean that everyone has to switch over and stop saying 'trade', but I don't think it makes sense to correct people who say 'traditional'.

And 'commercial' never made sense to me. How is for-profit self-publishing not commercial?

4. swhibs123

swhibs123 Active Member

I don't correct people who use the term "traditional" in the colloquial sense, but I do correct when people who are dishing out advice, and actually teaching someone that the correct term is "traditional."

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

A lot of people, even people in the industry, use the phrase "traditional publishing," so there's absolutely nothing wrong with using it.

6. Miss Red

Miss Red Member

Thanks for all the new information. : D

Keep the discussion going, guys.

I had a few questions to add, but I forgot what they were, but I will definitely get some more research done this weekend.

--

EDIT:
    Great! I can't edit my first post now. /O\

Very irritating. I hope new readers sift through the thread for any new answers.

7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Most people use the term 'traditional publishing' to set it apart from 'self publishing.'

Trade publishing is only one kind of 'traditional publishing.' Trade books are the ones aimed at the mass market, usually found in bookstores and online as paperbacks, hardbacks as well as Kindle and other eBook formats. Most novels, lots of non-fiction, biographies etc will probably be classified as 'Trade' books.

However, traditionally published books can also be textbooks or professional reference books. These are not considered 'Trade' books.

Traditionally published books are bought and paid for by a publishing house. Self published ones are not.

BayView likes this.
  8. Elease Singh

Elease Singh New Member

I don't know if you are questioning or answering the question you have.

Some useful book marketing tips from my blog:
    http://bookmarketinghub.com/