1. Sundowner

Sundowner Active Member

Red Sun

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sundowner, Feb 27, 2015.

I stumbled upon this forum by chance and really liked what I saw. I was in the midst of writing my first book and felt I simply did not have the required tools to finish it. Primarily, I need to learn about life in 1930-1940 America, I just can't get our modern society out of my mind it seems. It's just too convenient! I'm currently writing a psychological vampire story mildly inspired by several works of vampire fiction including Shadow of the Vampire and the Shiki novel/manga, which focuses on the morality of killing to survive and the mental breakdown that follows an unending life. I worry I won't be able to make the story work. Writing is no problem, I adore writing, I can write all day. But sometimes I just wonder if I'm the only person who can really enjoy this story (as in, it's nothing but an escapist fantasy that appeals only to me). But I guess I really won't be able to tell until I make it!

I wouldn't call myself a writer, but I would call myself an artist. Everything I do has to be executed perfectly without fault, so I have to be totally prepared before I start anything. Besides writing, I enjoy programming and spriting. I've never made a game with those two talents, but some day I might. I love writing, but I've never written an entire book before, merely short stories. Very personal ones, that I'm afraid I can't share here.

I'm looking forward to finding all sorts of wonderful tips on constructing a good story here!

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Welcome to it, Sundowner. The more you join in, the more you get it out of it. :)

Here's the starter manual. It covers the basics. ;)

Wrey

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That perfectionism can kill your creativity. Accept that there is a learning curve you will never ascend until you can tolerate appreciate your mistakes. Mistakes are the most brilliant teachers you will ever find!

Permit yourself to fail, and resolve to make every failure a learning opportunity.

Welcome to the site.

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome.