Rejection, rejection, rejection...

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by deadrats, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

Well, that's very nice of you to say so. I guess, in these days it not as much of a moral dilemma, perhaps I'm just old fashioned like that. I suppose if I was offered the deal I might be tempted anyway, if I'm honest. It's a bit like having family in a company and getting a job because they work there.

deadrats likes this.
  2. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I am NEVER linking to Neil Gaiman.

Fgs I had zero hits on the blog today, and I never liked his [pedestrian] stuff, & he appeared limited in his early days, & probably gained leverage from networks. As I said before...or put another way...some kind of ‘salesperson’ ...like @DR ....;) xx

mat l’artist

deadrats and Krispee like this.
  3. Krispee

Ok, fair enough, it was just that you mentioned...I'll find it another way.
    But isn't being a salesperson part of whole schtick of modern writing, or am I just opening a whole can of words?

Anyway, I'm off to bed, catch you guys another day...:sleepy:

deadrats likes this.
  4. matwoolf

I was just kidding around.

Only...ambition should not triumph over beauty...[yawn]...it’s really difficult...on the other hand the more people gaining exposure to...more people...the better..

like you said it’s late...

Krispee likes this.
  5. matwoolf

I’m a ball of frustration after exposure to some talentless radio excerpts/productions ...and journals that read like school mags...

Krispee likes this.
  6. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Hmm.. I still want to think it will come down to my story. I want to believe they wouldn't publish me without really believing in my work. I just know how quick slush readers can be to ditch a story. And even then it takes forever to climb through the editorial process. Maybe all this will do is get me a quicker rejection.

I have in the past gone through connections. Those were people who knew editors but were not working there. Those attempts still didn't work out for me. I was given more insight on why my work was being rejected by those places but also what they thought of the stories in general which wasn't all bad.

I just realized my friend can tell me what they really think. Like she might have a conversation with someone or be in an editorial meeting where it's discussed. That's assuming I get that far. But would you want to know the whole truth about what these editors think of your writing?

I guess it could be seen as a little like getting a job because a family member works somewhere, but is that wrong if the person is qualified for the job? The literary world is brutal. IDK If I have access to any shortcuts, I think I'll take them. Or maybe it's just a little help from a friend who knows my writing and thinks it's something her boss or whoever should look at.

AnnGG, Krispee and matwoolf like this.
  7. matwoolf

Oh shuss @DR. You can’t be a writer if you say ‘believing in your work,’ can you.

Back of the class.

Krispee and deadrats like this.
  8. Funerary

Funerary Member

Yeah. Definitely call her if you can. I wouldn't do it over text. Texts are too impersonal and too easy to evade. Call her for five or ten minutes and just mention it casually in an offhand way, how your friend mentioned something could be done, and just say the story has been submitted and it's titled ___. Don't be pushy, don't leave a thousand voicemails, don't send more than one text, don't do more than one phone call. Once you make the request, it's out of your hands.

Is it ethically the wrong thing to do? I think it's a bit of a redundant question, consider how many slush piles are operated by journals who 99.9% of the time only publish solicited material from authors who have a new book forthcoming and their respective publishing house just wants to hype them up. There would only be something wrong with it if no one else ever used their connections. Let me tell you now the world - especially the separate world I'm trying to become qualified in - is run on connections and nepotism. You use the connection to get your foot in the door; you use your natural talent, intelligence and hard work ethic to be permitted to stay inside the house. No one is obliged to invite you in for any longer than they have to. You'll bypass the slush pile but your story will still be judged for its individual merits and may not end up being published. That's nothing different then having your best friend's dad get you an interview at an auditing firm, or having a client add one of your paintings to the art exhibition he is curating.

Just be cool about it and try not to think too hard about it, don't assume it will get you anywhere.

deadrats likes this.
  9. deadrats

@Funerary -- Haven't been so cool. I called more then once. This is my friend I'm calling so it's not like they don't know I'm a little crazy anyway. And it's hard not to call again. I have to assume nothing will come of it, but I'm fulling embracing the short-lived excitement of thinking some big-time editor is reading my story. Maybe right now.

The fiction I have sold has been through the slush. And I've made it to the top. So, it can happen. That happens more for me than any help from people I know. It's just I've got someone on the inside here. Part of me will always live in slush piles. We all want to get our work in the right editors hands and there's always going to be the possibility that it still won't work out. But just the idea of publication at this place is bliss. I really want it.

Funerary likes this.
  10. Funerary

Funerary Member

Then trust me - take it easy, don't overwhelm your friend. You don't want them feeling pressured, then they will be less likely to help you. I know the tension is probably killing you but just hang in there, keep it cool. That's my advice anyway.

matwoolf, Krispee and deadrats like this.
  11. deadrats

A 174-day form rejection from Willow Springs.

matwoolf likes this.
  12. Krispee

Kidding aside, it's a problem if you are a full time writer, having to sell your work in very real terms. Not something I will have to face but I was never very good at that side of things anyway. Of course if I got totally frustrated and decided to publish my shorts digitally and wanted actual sales. I know, shocking, I said the D word :eek:

PS - Editing my replies this early in the morning, not a good idea...

deadrats and matwoolf like this.
  13. Krispee

I agree with F, be cool :cool:

deadrats and HeathBar like this.
  14. cpena

cpena New Member

As someone who is new to writing I love reading stories about your life as a writer. I'm half way through my first novel but Im not expecting a lot from it. Although I did pour my all my love and time to every page but if I do get rejected I hope Ill learn a lot from it. Thanks for sharing!

deadrats, matwoolf and Krispee like this.
  15. Krispee

As long as you put all your love and time into it you never know what might happen.
    And welcome. :superhello:

deadrats likes this.
  16. matwoolf

Sorry for saying horrid things about Neil Gaiman. I don't know a lot about Neil Gaiman. I tried a google for the story...something about living in a cottage and the devil coming to visit. I've been worrying about Neil Gaiman, that maybe he might read our thread, come for me, weaponised.

As for other theme of nepotism. I, for one, 100% support @DR.

Also, my novel in progress - embittered, wizened, former member of a thread - he tracks down the famous author in the cabin - and just as the famous author is sparking the cigarette, annual cigarette, and e-publishing yet another blockbuster, @MatW busts down the cabin door with his axe.

'I know your secret, Dead Rat, with the telephone call to the assistant sub-editor secret. I want my pound of flesh.!'

He swipes and takes a leg, Dead Rat chases him through the snow to re-claim the leg, in progress.

deadrats, Krispee and Funerary like this.
  17. Krispee

I think you're safe, Mat, I don't think Mr Gaiman strolls through the lofty halls of these forums, long gone in the heady atmosphere of fame and fortune.

Your discourse reminded me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. "...'Tis but a scratch...just a flesh wound..." Could be a comedy short.

AnnGG, deadrats and matwoolf like this.
  18. deadrats

A 76-day form rejection from The Masters Review.

matwoolf likes this.
  19. Woodstock Writer

Woodstock Writer Senior Member

Deadrats, how many stories do you submit per week?

deadrats likes this.
  20. Funerary

Funerary Member

Deadrats' insane work ethic and relentless submission rate is literally the best thing about this thread. It's probably what's motivated me most to do any writing over the last few years.

21. deadrats

I force myself to send out at least one new submission each week, but I usually end up sending a few out since sending four or so isn't much more work than sending one. When I have a new story I usually send it to a good five or ten places to start, assuming they're places that take simultaneous submissions. I try to maintain having fifty submissions out at all times. This can be tricky. Sometimes a bunch of rejections come at once and just cut that number down. Also, when a story is accepted and I have to withdraw it from other places the number goes down. I think selling stories is more than a numbers game, but I also can see on duotrope that my acceptance rate is about 2 percent. If I need to get fifty or a hundred rejections to make a sale, then I will get those rejections.

I also aim pretty high. It's not unrealistic. It's just really hard to get into a lot of these places. But I have done it. It does happen. I read these publications and know pretty much when they are open to submissions. I try to write stories that would fit and I usually have a good idea where to send the things I write. And I'm always writing a new story. Something is always in the works. Continuing to produce new work is key. I'm not looking to sell everything I write, though, that would be nice. I know where I want to publish. When I get rejected I want to have a new a better story to send these places and try again. As you can see, there is a lot of trying...

AnnGG and Woodstock Writer like this.
  22. deadrats

That's really nice to hear. And I'm glad you're here with us writing and submitting. :)

Funerary likes this.
  23. HeathBar

HeathBar Active Member

Agree 100%. I revisit this thread when I'm lacking motivation.

24. Woodstock Writer

Woodstock Writer Senior Member

Really interesting, thanks. I have a full-time job and am also in therapy but do a small amount of writing each day. I’ve decided now to do most of the actual writing during the week and submit things like crazy at the weekend. I submitted 9 pieces this weekend but many of them were the same story in multiple places and others had been rejected from other places before. But currently if something gets rejected I don’t do much with it afterwards so figured I could try other markets for them. I realise you don’t work in quite the same way though.

25. deadrats

I'm not one to quickly give up on a story. I'll pull something I realize is flawed and needs work. Some of those are worth going back to. Others I just move on from. Not too long ago I sold a story that was first written the first year I started to seriously write stories. I wrote that one before I had an MFA, before much of anything. I would say I gave it a few updates throughout the years, but it really didn't change all that much. It was rejected over 50 times I'm guessing. And now it's coming out in a place I'm excited to publish. Sometimes there are stories we know not to give up on regardless of how many rejections they get on the way to publications.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020