Rejection, rejection, rejection...

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by deadrats, Aug 19, 2016.

1. HeathBar

HeathBar Active Member

Two day rejection from another agent. I don't feel it's the perfect fit for my list at this time.

I've sent 14 queries out total, all but one sent after late May; 4 rejections and the rest no response. I'm not feeling defeated (yet), but am bummed about all the time I invest to decide who to submit to in the first place. I know it's not totally "lost" time and the query is getting better every single time, but still. So. Much. Time.

Woodstock Writer likes this.
  2. Woodstock Writer

Woodstock Writer Senior Member

I got an Honorable Mention from Writers of the Future this week, my 3rd in a row (and I’ve only entered 3 times). I guess that’s positive as apparently it means I’ve been in the top 10% of many thousands of entries each time, but I was really proud of my 3rd entry and was hoping for more. I sent it to Metaphorosis and got an immediate reject 2 hours later, which made me feel deflated. They’ve stopped offering feedback too.

I got a 75-day form rejection from The London Reader today too.

It’s been ages since my last acceptance and the last things I had accepted I feel won’t actually be published- the contract I signed said if not published by September they would abandon it, and I’ve had nothing from them since early May when they said they hoped to make payments and send out edits ‘soon’.

Wondering why I bother, really. I don’t think I’m that great a writer.

3. HeathBar

HeathBar Active Member

Top 10% is way more than most people can say. I think you must be doing something right. And I think this whole game is about timing - catching folks when your stuff is going to resonate. You can’t win if you don’t play. Carry on...:)

Woodstock Writer and deadrats like this.
  4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

A 59-day form rejection from Barrelhouse.

5. OctagonalPhantasm

OctagonalPhantasm Member

Submitted a short to TQR Stories a month ago. Slush pile liked it. The floor reader liked it. Both termali liked it. The head monkey said no. Personal rejection though, which is always preferable to the generic version. The monkey said it was a good story, well-written, but just too bleak. It's not an invalid complaint, I suppose, but I've never been a fan of happy endings.

6. Medazza

Medazza Active Member

In terms of timings I’m still getting replies from subs sent in February. I think COVID-19 and the political climate has necessarily shaken up publishing, everything is taking longer than normal

7. deadrats

I'm not sure why you are calling the editor who rejected your story a monkey. It comes across a little offensive. That editor most likely works as hard at his job as you do writing if not more. I understand venting, but I surely wouldn't say things like this about a publication I send my work to. It doesn't hurt to show a little respect. Maybe I've jest perfected the art of failing gracefully. I just don't see the need to tear down a publications and its employees just because my work didn't meet their standards.

8. deadrats

Don't get too worried about your story that's supposed to be published in the fall. Most of the contracts I have had have some sort of escape clause like the one you mention. I had a story that was supposed to published in a fall issue last year. It ended up in the issue that came out this spring. I remember worrying about this, but, really, there was nothing to worry about. Most accepted stories make their way into print. They wouldn't have wanted to buy it if they didn't want to publish it. The edits and such didn't come for my story until after the fall issue came out. And let me just say, being in the spring issue landed me in good company. The issue was amazing. For real, I think it worked out better for me in the long run.

HeathBar and Woodstock Writer like this.
  9. Woodstock Writer

I’m worried because I’m April the editor posted saying she had lost her job because of Covid (she was running the publishing business as a side business) but had borrowed money to pay contributors and the payments would be going out soon. She also said that edits on the stories had been done and were going out soon. Ages has passed since then without a peep so it’s a bit ominous. I didn’t get the money or the edits.

10. deadrats

I have always been paid upon publication. Send an email if you're worried. Just ask if everything is on track for the fall or if the editor might be thinking of holding your story longer. In my case that I mentioned it was over a year from acceptance to publication. But I'm not sure what to think about this "side business" and losing her job thing. Hopefully, you did your homework before submitting. But I think it's more likely to work out for you than not.

11. Woodstock Writer

The contract says payment upon acceptance. And it’s a woman who runs the company in her spare time, from what I understand. She lost her regular job so hasn’t got as much money to run the publishing business now.

It’s for an anthology so either they publish everything or nothing. I’ve thought about sending an email but I’m a bit scared in case she says the whole thing is cancelled!

12. OctagonalPhantasm

OctagonalPhantasm Member

He literally refers to himself as the monkey. It's not disrespect; it's using his chosen appellation.

13. deadrats

Well, that's a little strange. My apologies. But maybe it's a good thing they don't want to buy your story. An editor calling himself a monkey in front of potential writers... I fail to see the benefit for him or anyone else, and he doesn't seem like an editor I would want to work with. You don't need to name the publication, but I would think twice about sending them work again. There are plenty of people out there who take this business seriously. Is he basically saying a monkey could do his job? If that's the case, I can't imagine he's very good at it.

14. OctagonalPhantasm

OctagonalPhantasm Member

Nah, I appreciate you calling me out when you thought I was being an asshole. Sometimes I am so there's that. It's actually just the way that mag functions. Their submissions process is all very public. They don't post your work on their boards or anything but each reader does post their thoughts about it, and they each have their personas. I actually thought it was pretty refreshing to see something different in the stuffy world of publishing. Plus they pay $50 per story, so that's nice too (even though they ultimately passed on mine).

15. deadrats

Sometimes things get pushed back rather than cancelled. I've never written for an anthology. I think a lot of them can be unpredictable like you're experiencing. I'm sure I've submitted to a few in the past, but I tend to send my work to places I think are solid. However, even that can change quickly. Remember when Tin House closed? I didn't see that one coming. I had a submission with them for over a year when that happened. I tried emailing about it and got no response. A month later I got the form that the journal was calling it quits. I know I was never accepted there. That really would have sucked. Just keep in mind, you checking in by email isn't going to make or break this anthology. You obviously have a good story. If this place doesn't work out, maybe a better one will.

16. deadrats

***** HELP! Stop me from being stupid.

I'm thinking about pitching agents (well, just one agent in particular) about working with me to publish a short story collection. I guess just to see if she has any interest in that sort of thing. It's been ten years since our last communication, but that's on me. We never had any problems. I just couldn't finish the book I was trying to write. I wasn't a short story writer back then. I can't even say I was much of a writer back then. But now I have an MFA and some really decent credits. And we got along well. This agent is very hands on, and I like that.

I'm looking for advice on how to approach this. Do I try and explain the long story behind my flaking out? I'm pretty sure she would remember me. I guess I'm just not sure how to go about that. So much time has gone by. I just think she could sell my collection and also might be able to help me avoid certain slush piles. I want a good agent and she is one for sure.

I know short story collections can be a hard sell and the whole idea might just be too small for her to be interested. I'm also somewhat hesitant because I don't want to contact her too soon. That's mostly fear talking, right? And maybe the whole idea is stupid. It's just for the first time I actually feel like I have enough good stories for a collection. What do you guys think?

17. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

I say put together a proposal for the collection you want to sell. Include your credentials. Leave out excuses and explanations, you can give them if she seems interested enough to reach out to you in response. You are going to propose a business deal and the collection has to have merit on its own. If it has, you two can take it from there. You've ample time to reacquaint when you talk later.

deadrats likes this.
  18. HeathBar

HeathBar Active Member

Totally agree with all of this. Good luck, DR!

deadrats likes this.
  19. Medazza

Medazza Active Member

Standard rejection received today. Boo!

deadrats likes this.
  20. Woodstock Writer

No harm in asking. And I wouldn’t mention the time gap unless she specifically asks.

deadrats likes this.
  21. deadrats

Thanks, guys. The thing is I want to remind her that we have worked together. I guess that's where things get a little tricky, but if I just pitch something (especially a short story collection), I don't really think it will make it past her assistant or slush pile. She is a big time agent. I've read over our past email exchanges and now I'm wondering if I blew it because I was so lucky to work with her in the past. I think the only way I have a chance at revamping this relationship is to mention the past. I don't want to formally send a query. I was thinking more of a casual (but still professional) email, mentioning I'm a short story writer these days and where I have been published. If she doesn't remember me or thinks I'm too flaky, there's no real shot at this. I think most agents shy away from short story collections. However, this is an agent who I believe can sell almost anything. She saw something in me and my writing before. I want her to feel that way again. This might be a stupid idea. Would it be better to call her? We have spoken on the phone in the past. Maybe I could send a brief email with my new number and tell her to give me a call if she's interested. No, that just takes me back to the email where I'm not sure what to say. Again, my only shot at this, really, is because she was my agent many years ago. Remember, I'm asking her to sell a short story collection, not a novel. That does make things more difficult.

22. deadrats

So, how do I say you used to be my agent without also saying sorry for ghosting you?

23. Woodstock Writer

Just say it like that- ‘Hey, you may remember we used to work together. Now I’d like to ask you ...’. Except a bit more formal.

24. deadrats

You're right. And I'm totally overthinking this. I'm pretty nervous.

25. HeathBar

HeathBar Active Member

My two cents - I wouldn't call - feels instrusive and awkward. I think the casual email is the way to go - but still professional and substantive. I don't think you need to explain the ghosting - but what you suggest - nice greeting saying you've been focusing on short stories since you last spoke [this tells the assistant you know eachother], have been published here, here, here and here, and have idea about a short story collection and then add some substance about what you're thinking...

deadrats and Medazza like this.