Rejection, rejection, rejection...

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by deadrats, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

Perhaps if you knew which story you sent.

deadrats likes this.
  2. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

A 161-day rejection from The Collagist. I honestly thought I had this one since it was taking so long. The editor said it was close and they would like to see more from me. I have a feeling I could get close again, just not sure I'll make the cut. Story of my submitting life.

matwoolf likes this.
  3. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Did you post him to go fuck himself? Sometimes that works, y'know...

Personally, I'm sulking until tomorrow.

4. deadrats

I actually like the editor over there. That's why I submit to them even though they don't pay. I was familiar with his work before he was editor there. I believe he's talented and smart. And I really want him to think the same of me. I will submit again when they reopen this fall. It's a good publication. It's just really hard to get into good publications sometimes. I've got new stories, and I feel like I'm stepping up my game. I already know which story I plan to send him next. If he liked the one that was rejected (just not enough to publish it), I'll give him something better. This is a place I would like to break into. And 'tis the season for new submissions.

Krispee likes this.
  5. Krispee

What's happening tomorrow?

6. matwoolf

Nothing, I just dedicated a few hours to sulking. In fact, twice I tried to narrate that bloody 'Ye Olde Xmas' story to my phone - to 'prove' to myself [despite myself] that the transition from fantasy to reality sequence could work - and then I sulked some more about failing to google any literary/open spoken word nights in my area :/, actually :)

proper first world problems...

also I read some of somebody's story, aye x

7. deadrats

Damn. I just tried making a submission where there is a $3 reading fee. It wouldn't go through. It says I have insufficient funds. I've really got this starving artist thing down. ;)

8. matwoolf

Try sending it to the wrong section?

9. deadrats

Still can't afford it. Reading fees suck. Am I really to poor to send my work to places where some of them don't even pay? Well, yes. My credit card was declined. This sucks.

matwoolf likes this.
  10. matwoolf

Well, if you're feeling hyper - send it all funnies - to the chief-sub editor, all haw haw, haw haw...I've done that once or twice, sometimes you might even receive the... 'nevertheless, my dear Mr Rats...'

Krispee and deadrats like this.
  11. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

$3? That's a weird number. Seems like they're trying to charge the absolute minimum required to cover whatever the expense is, but it's so small it's almost like why bother? $5 I could understand.

12. deadrats

For most of the places that charge a fee, it's $3. I don't know why. It seems like it was free to submit everywhere and then all of a sudden everyone started charging $3. Stupid $3 that I don't even have.

13. Krispee

Ploughshares charge $3, didn't know that until it came to the end and I had to pay. I mean I get it, don't suppose they have much money to throw around.

@deadrats - Sorry to hear of your monetary problems. Perhaps there is a part-time something you could do.

deadrats likes this.
  14. Krispee

I laughed at this, then realized I wasn't sure what it meant lol.

You narrated a story to your phone? Oh, so you could play it back to yourself? Well, I guess that could work, it might help you see where the problem lies perhaps, maybe. Dissociating yourself from your own voice kind of thing...
    I could never brave enough to stand up and read like that.

Well wouldn't want to stop you reading something, of course not, carry right on my friend.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    deadrats likes this.
  15. deadrats

Just finished the edits on a new story and submitted it. I've got several things that aren't out because I knew I needed more time with them. This one I really tried my hardest and sent it to an editor where we have somewhat of a dialog going when he rejects my stories and I send him new ones.

I want to have at least 50 submissions out and maintain that through the fall. A trip to the post office should bring me close. I've got something worked out so I can send hard mail, but I don't believe I'll have a working credit card until next month. That cancels out a lot of places for now I would like to submit due to the reading fees that some places charge. I did get a few in before it was declined.

How's everyone else doing? I hope you guys are putting your work out there. I've seen some good stuff from some of you. Me, it takes hundreds of rejections until someone wants my work. If I can sell at least two stories a year, I think that's pretty good. We'll see how the fall goes. I'm really, really trying.

Krispee likes this.
  16. Krispee

I've only sent to one so far but plan to send to a few more over the next few days. See how it goes.

deadrats likes this.
  17. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

Rejection letter from Notre Dame Review.. I don't know what it is with me and Submittable. It's like my archenemy.

deadrats likes this.
  18. deadrats

Don't worry. Everywhere pretty much is open or will open soon. That gives you tons more places to try. Get something in at Tin House before the end of the month if you can. Ah, but they use Submittable. Maybe you can break the curse.

Do you like Moksha better than Submittable? Submittable makes it easy to withdraw and you can see when a document has been opened, though, sometimes that really is no indication of when your submission will actually be read. Moksha tells you where you are in line. I like that about it. I've only had luck with Submittable submissions.

19. Krispee

I have submitted to One Story and Glimmer Train, only to realize after that the Glimmer Train one was a competition. Um, will that be a problem?

deadrats likes this.
  20. deadrats

It's no problem. Good luck with the competition and other submissions. I've entered the Glimmer Train comps before. If your story is accepted elsewhere, you just withdraw it. It looks like you're on a roll.

Krispee likes this.
  21. Krispee

Not sure about a roll but I'm getting a bit more used to the process.
    The Glimmer Train seems to be shutting its doors next year for good. A shame as they seems to be nice people there.

deadrats likes this.
  22. deadrats

I hadn't heard that about Glimmer Train. That's really too bad. I have been reading them since the '90s. Hopefully your story makes it into one of their final issues. Do you know why they're closing?

23. Krispee

I think they are just wanting to do something else. Not sure how old the sisters are but maybe that's the reason. They don't say specifically why.

24. Krispee

Right, my last submission is to Tin House. I'm going to leave it at that and see what happens. Good luck to everyone.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    deadrats likes this.
  25. deadrats

Does anyone know if it's okay to submit to Tin House Magazine and Tin House Online at the same time? I would submit different things to each, but I'm not sure if this would be a problem or not. If you have any insight, please share.