Rejection, rejection, rejection...

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by deadrats, Aug 19, 2016.

1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

This actually helps so much. Thank you. You've just helped the bank robber get away. :)

Krispee likes this.
  2. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

No probs, glad I could do my bit for the local criminal; if I can't do it in real life I'll do it in my imagination.

deadrats likes this.
  3. deadrats

You know you can submit it to just show your active settings. I have mine set that way on Submittable and Duotrope. It's so much better not to see that wall of grey. :)

matwoolf likes this.
  4. deadrats

Just made it through a weekend free of rejection. Yay. I know we were talking about submittable lately and I just wanted to say I really like that it lets you know when a file has been opened. With some places it means they were opened and assigned to a reader or editor, but it can also mean that your story has been opened to be read. How long something stays "in-progress" can kind of let you know which of the two it is. But a long time "in-progress" can also mean it's being held or passed up the food chain. So, today four of my stories were opened. We'll see if I report back four rejections later today, but here's hoping that's not the case. I really want to sell another story before the year ends. And it's been close to a year of rejections for me.

On a positive not and something that is in my control, I have 49 submissions out. I'm one away from my goal. It's probably going to take a trip to the post office to mail some out for me to reach my goal of having 50 active submissions out. I've got a new story that I think will be ready to go out tomorrow. It's the one @Krispee helped me out with when it came to my animal sounds problem. Thanks. I kind of feel good about this one. I think it's at the level of my published stories. I hope. Sometimes it's pretty hard to tell. Do you guys have that problem when it comes to judging the writing and content quality of your work too? I hate it when I submit things too soon so I've been trying to let things sit so I can come back and revise. For this story, I've been working on it for just one two weeks. How long do you guys take with a story before you send it out?

jannert, matwoolf and Krispee like this.
  5. Krispee

Holy crap, yes, I always have trouble judging my own work, I'm the quintessential second guesser. I expect that will change if I get published as it will give me a tiny bit of a benchmark to aim for, but it may be something I will always find difficult.
    Some of my stories have been around forever, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask about that.

jannert, matwoolf and deadrats like this.
  6. deadrats

@Krispee -- You're a good writer so I don't think you're the wrong person to ask about anything. :)

jannert, matwoolf and Krispee like this.
  7. Krispee

Thanks, and you're good too so...and Mat, and others here too that I don't know about.

matwoolf and deadrats like this.
  8. Krispee

No joy with Clarkesworld, will try Strange after next weekend, although I'm not sure they will go for it as it's near the top end of their word count, that's presuming they liked the story.

9. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I have been industrious.

The little magazine with no readers said they wanted my 1500 memoir. I said they - 'you can have it.' But then I wrote to the big magazine and said the little magazine wanted my story, 'do you want it more?' I wrote really nicely. Of course, they sent me the instant FACKAFF auto-response, so never submit to B**the anybody, especially after it was @DR's recommendation...yes @DR...yes...I copied you because they said we like 'non-fiction.' I wrote it and said my story was all true, like I said in my letter.

Also I sent LI**Rs' League two of the greatest shorts in world literature. If they don't take them our relationship is over before it begins. Although it would be pretty boring to read those 3000 words aloud. I know it's a ticket event, they're not really for reading, more like it's art.

G*anta are powerful. I sent them powerful writing but my letter was drunk even though I wrote it in the morning, it reads like I'd be better in surgery or similar, so worried about that.

And the usual Commonwealth Writers' prize and stuff. But everybody knows those are regular no-hopers unless you live in Zambia and it's about a boy fetching water for his mother. I wouldn't do that for her. Probably just a glass half empty possibly, see that?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    jannert, deadrats and Krispee like this.
  10. matwoolf

Thanks @Crusty, I love you :love:

deadrats and Krispee like this.
  11. Krispee

Yes, very good, but I'm shocked, Mat, not for your mother? :ohno:

And here's me thinking that all literature was art, you know, like painting, dancing, filmmaking etc...perhaps even one of the highest of art forms.

12. Krispee

Ahh... :friend:

13. deadrats

A 30-day form rejection from Denver Quarterly.

A 26-day form rejection from Room Magazine.

A 101-day form from Baltimore Review.

Just how I like to start my day... :(

CerebralEcstasy likes this.
  14. Krispee

FRIGG?
    I thought that magazines didn't publish previously published material, unless I'm barking up the wrong tree.

15. matwoolf

Send it to FAP?

Tenderiser, deadrats and Krispee like this.
  16. Krispee

Oh no, not more acronyms...

17. Krispee

The few I've been involved with that's also been the case.

18. matwoolf

I have to admit to being a little stir crazy. About ten out there, a different story for each title. Some even posted 'one day fresh' and when you open them up and take a peek the first paragraph has all the tendencies of a lunatic, the extra clause, defs and indefs all are reversed, some replaced by a pointless 'our.' Nnnng, what happened?

Normally I take those down and send a tidy version.

My whole day yesterday salvaged when I 'delivered.' Effectively, a cold submission arrived in the editorial in-box of a major mag, delete. Although made me very happy 3pm through 7pm. What a moron.

Krispee likes this.
  19. Krispee

Never mind, Mat, there's always another day and another story.

matwoolf likes this.
  20. deadrats

I'm thinking of sending out some poetry. Never had luck with it before, but I've been working on a few I feel I could submit. Going to give this another try.

CerebralEcstasy, Krispee and matwoolf like this.
  21. matwoolf

'Dina' at Pithead Chapel put out a call for prose poetry - with a wide scope. Also see Palette. I used to submit to 'Poetry' but I won't again after subscribing - I didn't really hook into their scene. Maybe in 6 months.

CerebralEcstasy and deadrats like this.
  22. deadrats

A 77-day form rejection from New England Review.

23. deadrats

A 63-day form rejection from Copper Nickel.

24. Krispee

Sorry, don't know much about poetry - what's the difference between prose poetry and plain old poetry poetry?

25. matwoolf

Well, the easy answer is easy to find.: 'a prose poem is...' but I am cruel and heartless, almost a wicked person this morning.

The sub-ed's definition in her call for submissions stated prose-poetry 'in the widest sense.' So that might only be a sparkly piece of prose, or a piece of prose that sparkled not a jot - but nonetheless in this example - would arrive in her in-tray rather than anybody else's. And she might like it, publish 'Prose Posey' and the story-poem might be read by two professors, a janitor and five students on the Nevada Desert campus. Surely that's worth something?

Prose poem is like lazer discs - if you remember them? Or the sensation of steampunk enthusiasts milling in your front garden.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    CerebralEcstasy and Krispee like this.