Religion Is It Mankinds Ultimate Weakness.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Night Haunter, Dec 1, 2007.

1. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Indeed!

2. Raven

Raven Banned

Just a note to all forum members if you beleive in God and take your beleif seriously please bare in mind this is light hearted humour.

3. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

If Adam and Eve were perfect beings, I don't believe they would have been so easily corrupted by temptation.

4. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

They weren't perfet. Just without sin. They had free will and were tricked into doing the wrong thing (Adam probably should of told Eve about the tree if you ask me. That way the mess would have never happened. Then again Adam probably should have asked where the fruit came from.).

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

hey, loh!... i guess my reply mighta been a tad cranky, too, so let's call it a draw and be glad we're still friends, despite our at-odds pov re religion/gods, ok?

love and hugs, maia

6. Raven

Raven Banned

I so bloody hate these threads. Religeon sparks all kinds of bad feeling right down to war.

7. Gunslinger

Gunslinger New Member

No hard feelings on this end. I hope I caused no hard feelings, if I did I am sorry.

8. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Agreed maia. The last thing I want is any sore feelings for anyone.

9. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

The last one of these ended up as a flame war...

10. Raven

Raven Banned

Thats my point. Thats why I hate these threads. But I too have to respect the freedom of posting as long as it remains in the guildlines and rules. But these threads there trouble always have been and always end with bad feeling. Remember Max Vantage

11. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Do I have to? That was a bloody nightmare. And the worst part was the collateral which hung around the thread like a bad smell, for days after the thread itself was closed.

12. Raven

Raven Banned

Yeah it sparked a hell of a lot of bad feeling infact if memory serves me well I think a few bans were also enforced. Religion is always such a dodgy subject and really does spark some nasty flaming and bad and ill feeling across the place.

Just to say if anyone notices and bad feeling flame syle posts ignore them and report post do not reply to argumentative flame posts. Keep this thread civil lets priove we can have a religion thread remain civil.

13. trailer trash

trailer trash New Member

For me the traditional concept of religion falls apart ....

Perhaps we are all God(s). That is to say, maybe God simply exist to experience all that is an ever will be. I don’t think that this would diminish the idea that he/she/it is the creator of all things. Good and Evil could just be an illusion in the traditional sense of the definition of each, yet exist in a real plane of reality and therefore we would as Gods and as individuals make up a multidimensional existence that has no boundaries or end; simply because there can always be the slightest variation in something, which would then make it new and unique. And endless circle perhaps, on a progressive scale that has only one polarity—forward (positive) and exist without regression.

Then this might explain the idea of fate as the different manifestations of what we perceive as God to co-exist and are so close to one another as having the appearance of overlapping. This would explain the conceptual idea of uniqueness, yet make us all God(s) and allow us to commit the atrocities that we do toward one another all in the sickest of games to satisfy the Almightiest need to know, feel, and experience the whole enchilada.

For me the traditional concept of religion falls apart at the seams when I walk into a burn unit and see a child whose body has become a grotesquely deformed piece of flesh that bares no resemblance to it original state, or take into consideration the most hideous acts perpetuated by each of us against one another.

I will say that the golden rules of all religions form the bulk of what we term as humanity, however loosely bonded as they are and with the ability to disintegrate into a useless nonfunctional and chaotic mess in the twinkle of an eye they are still worth mentioning as a postive aspect of organized religion. In my opinion the idea of a harmonious existence between the diverse manifestations of man is unachievable and a completely unrealistic goal. Even if we voluntarily chose collectively to use science to manipulate the gene pool to achieve the elimination of all aberrant behavior and social and ethical differences man(God) would still cease to achieve any noteworthy goal.

Man was never meant to unravel the most well kept secret of existence, and for anyone group of social order to claim that they have a lock on the purpose and existence of humankind is absolute fallacy. And for all the crap I just said who gives a big **** anyway?

Although, you may find this statement somewhat sweepingly broad and at times sarcastically put, it is not my intention for that to be. I believe at this point in my existence I am neither cynical nor optimistic about the future of man’s existence in the true sense of the definition of each term, but rather a realist. At least that is what I would like to believe. Who knows, we live in a state of constant flux and I am subject to be a holly roller tomorrow.

My answer to the original question of the thread:

Religion Is It Mankind’s Ultimate Weakness.”

I would have to answer yes.

Please Note: Nothing said by me here was intended to offend anyone in anyway, and if I have done so then I apologize now.

14. Frost

Frost Active Member

Then you're wrong.

Religion is not mankinds ultimate weakness.
    Man is.

15. Raven

Raven Banned

Or the power of suggestion and thought.
    The chances are Religion is an excuse.

16. Frost

Frost Active Member

The chances are good, to.

17. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

No-One is wrong and No-one is right either. We are all entitled to our opinions.

18. Raven

Raven Banned

Indeed we are DoZ.

Sadly on a global thought Opinions become excuses which lead to war. Then they blame the good old....

19. adamant

I worship Norse Paganism :) in the Æsir we trust.

20. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I'm more intrested in wicca but to be honest, my religeon is about trying to be a good person. Trying not to hate.

21. Raven

Raven Banned

I have no religion I believe we'll find out when we die if there is more or nothingness.

22. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Yup! We all find out in the end!

23. trailer trash

trailer trash New Member

My previous post ....

My previous post was simply my pondering and response to the question as it was asked in the thread. However, I would go on to add that in questions of “good” and “evil” and/or “wrong” and “right” I can only say the I do not believe that I have ever done anything evil or wrong that I was not immediately aware of what I had done and felt some degree of remorse at what I had done.

I have done some things that others might declare evil or monstrous, which I did in self defense. And I can tell you that even to this day; I feel no remorse for those acts that I committed in self defense.

I do not believe that man is inherently brought into this world with any sense of consciousness of good and evil or right and wrong. I personally believe that it is a matter of nurture and socioeconomic factors which mold and determine ones conscious. I don’t believe in being born evil not-with-standing and extra Y chromosome or two. And then there are the possibilities of other birth defects or deficiencies that might predispose one to lack the ability to develop a conscious.

Since religion is based on ones morality and belief in, most often, the existence of a superior being which exist outside our own ability to perceive that existence beyond what is called faith; then I would have to say that I am an agnostic at best.

And when I see a child who in my opinion is innocent destroyed in the most inhumane ways imaginable then I am very upset with the concept of an all loving God, and sickened by the concept that God has a reason or purpose behind such torturous acts.

So if I believe in a God it would have to be the God of Benedict de Spinoza (1632-77) His theories and believes on the subject of religion I can swallow to some degree.

24. Frost

Frost Active Member

I'm getting a tatt of Thor on me. Seriously.

25. adamant

I'm going to use a symbol that Odin has for something, though I'm not exactly sure what it is.