1. Lightning

Lightning New Member

Repetative Powers

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Lightning, Apr 13, 2012.

Hello there writing forums, another conudrum has arisen that you could help me with (I've been posting a lot recently...feels like I'm nagging you all, apologies)

To be simple, my worry is that I have too many people in my story with the same powers (exactly the same, just varying degrees of control). It includes a whole host, adding up to at least eight if I cut it down but many more (minor characters, like minions/underlings etc) if I leave them all with the abilities. I suppose that I'm worried this will become a problem in my story. Have no fear about them being the only abilities, there are many more, but this is the most common. There a total of 4 techniques that are used by these 8 mentioned characters.

Thanks again for your help, and sorry for constantly posting, I suppose it's because I'm a novice at writing (but apparently good...)

(I'd rather not tell you the actual abilities to keep it a secret...sorry...)

2. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Who gets powers and why. If there is a common cause to powers then most of the people could be prone to getting the same types of powers. It really depends on the foundation you've established. If you given the readers that power are random or unique per individual because of some external stimulus then you may have a problem. It would unusual for everyone to get bit by a mutant spider that creates spider men (or spider pigs), unless of course there is a large epidemic of mutant spiders.

3. Lightning

Lightning New Member

Oh, in my novel it's common place for powers to exist and there are a set and well known number (among the people who have the powers at least). It's not a situation where this is a hundred spider men (or spider pigs for that matter) for no reason. They basically take powers from other fantasy beings, for example (not in the novel, but just as an example) a phoenix. With a phoenix they would take its flame affinity and utilise it. There is a good reason for these many powers, I was just wondering if it would need to be a VERY good reason...

thanks again!

4. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Then it's the tone and environment you've established that makes the difference. If you're questioning that foundation you most think it's thin. If so, fill in the holes a little.

5. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Well, as humans, we all have knees and quads--we all can hop. Some hop better than others.

But look at the spectrum. At one end of bravery we have Audie Murphy. At the other end we have Superpsycho, who has his mom drop by to kill spiders.

And both of those guys can hop. The key is telling the story.

(BTW, 'Psycho told me that if they ever invent a hopping spider, he's moving to Antarctica.)

6. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Actually North America has several species of hopping spider. Fortunately the largest is only about 30mm long. Now I'm going to go have a beer with my best friend Norm.

7. thecoopertempleclause

thecoopertempleclause New Member

I'd make them into classes of power if I were you. Find your base for the power, let's say for example 'fire manipulation'. Then have it so the powers manifest in different ways the more skilful the user is. Hence a novice has to touch an object to superheat it and start combustion, then after a while he could take existing flames and redirect then, then later still he could form a fireball in his hand and use it as a projectile, then he could turn his own body into a torch. Next could be the ability to create fire domes around objects or self. Later he could cause spontaneous human combustion. Higher tiers could see the ability to pull flaming meteorites from space down to earth, and then finally the ability to breathe searing hot magma or something.

Then go back and repeat the process for each class of superpower, these abilities need to be earned through practice, training and determination. That way you can have similar powers, but each character can have slightly different levels of ability.

Using this model, the question of whether inter-breeding between classes can produce people who can harness two separate classes might arise. Also you could have some pretty cool opportunities for teamwork between classes.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Time to cull the herd.

9. Kio

Kio New Member

What you've got here reminds me a lot of Avatar: the Last Airbender (and the sort-of sequel that is Legend of Korra) when it comes to four different techniques with varying degrees of control. It really doesn't matter how repetitive the powers are, just as long as you know what to do with them. You can have two types of powers and ten main characters and still manage to make it interesting. Immediately, you've got some division here based on powers and control. In the end, it's the way you handle the powers and how this can fit into your main story.

You know what, I don't know what you're trying to ask, to be honest. So if this doesn't make sense, just ignore me.