Representation of social groups in stories

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Man in the Box, Feb 8, 2014.

1. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

;););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););)

^ for this comment and all my others, too!

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Isn't the author describing what the character finds attractive? You aren't expected to agree, are you? However, perhaps you will be able to relate to the character's feelings since you've probably been attracted to somebody in your life too, and that's the important thing, to me anyway.

Man in the Box likes this.
  3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I very seldom find that, although I suppose if we were talking about the romance genre that might be more common. But what I typically see is a character being described in detail and included are words to the effect that that character is, indeed, attractive. We could take the opposite tack as well - I've seen characters described and then phrases like "not quite attractive enough to..." - and again, the reader may find someone who looks like that quite attractive.

In short, I don't really care how the author sees their characters, and I resent their trying to impose their vision on me. Will the story change if the character's eyes are blue versus brown? If so, then include it. If not - why put it in at all? The only reason I can think of is that the author is a bit of a control freak - the reader must see the character exactly the way the author does! To which I politely say - bunk.

4. Man in the Box

Man in the Box Active Member

If you ask me, I'm not very good with description... I've seen a description of Daario Naharis (from A Song of Ice and Fire) popping around to point out his differences between the actor who plays it and the character whom GRRM designed, and the description is outrageous, down to the tiniest detail. I find such thing to be pointless.

The way I'm doing it, I'm pointing out general features like hair color and small details, but not facial features for example, so that the appearance of a character is still mostly left to imagination, despite me providing a small guidance.

However, I really think that, when it comes to description (funny how the thread subject changed), the author should do as he pleases, because there are good examples in both camps (too much and too little description). I like being given an outline and, within this outline, I will draw the character as I think he is, with the face and other features I give him/her in my imagination. That's me, though.

5. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

That should be 'actors.' The part of Naharis was recast. If anything, the new actor looks even less like Martin's description. I think he got away with it in paper, but the blue hair, tri-point beard and extravagant clothes just wouldn't work on the telly. When describing Naharis, Martin was aiming to give a bit of local colour. His look was not unique among his people.

But yes... this, is a good point to raise. Some readers embraced the character and his description, other did not. Just goes to show how divisive an issue it can be, even when put to a solid and invested readership.