1. MrPiano

MrPiano New Member

Resource for english words of different language origins?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by MrPiano, Feb 14, 2013.

Hey everyone!
    I was hoping someone would be able to help me with a rather odd task— I'm looking for some type of dictionary/online list of words separated into sections based on their derivations [for example, all English words derived from germanic languages, latin, french, greek, etc.]. So far I've only been able to find a few short Wikipedia articles about it, and I'm not educated enough on languages to be able to classify them myself.
    Thanks for any and all help!

2. popsprocket

popsprocket Member

A quick google search for 'etymology dictionary' turned this up:

http://www.etymonline.com/

It has a wikipedia entry, so it has some notoriety at least. Not exactly what you are looking for, but you can still look up any word and read about its etymology.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I doubt you'll find anything very comprehensive. Word origins (etymology) include a great deal of guesswork. The more languages you know, the better your chances of making a good guess about a particular word, but there are a lot of words that are coincidentally similar. Also, migrations of conquerors and refugees have spread words across major language centers, also making the true origins obscure.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you can find what you want in 'sections' and create your own comprehensive etymological dictionary if you want... simply google for 'english words with german roots' then do the same for the other root languages and you'll find good lists... the first hit on the german page is a good alphabetical list and i'm sure there are many other ones... shouldn't be hard to find good ones for the other tongues, as well...

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=Tw#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=english+words+with+german+origin&oq=english+words+with+germ&gs_l=hp.1.1.0l2.1650.6714.0.9874.23.23.0.0.0.0.330.3615.2j18j1j2.23.0.les%3Bcrnk_timediscountc..0.0...1.1.3.psy-ab.VJBbNSqQiiI&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42553238,d.cGE&fp=1f35b907ecade008&biw=602&bih=346

http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/word-lists/list-of-english-words-of-german-origin.html

5. BitPoet

BitPoet New Member