1. DPena

DPena Member

Resource of Choice while writing?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by DPena, Mar 8, 2019.

I usually do my writing with two tabs open, one to Dictionary.com and the other to Thesaurus.com (even though they're both technically the same site, it saves a step bouncing back and forth).

Anyways, ever since I typed "writing" into google ONCE, I'm being bombarded with Grammarly ads. I've never used it, as I've always felt my grip on grammar was fairly competent, but I am curious.

Does anyone use Grammarly? Or any other software for that matter? Are there any other good resources to have open on my browser while I write?

2. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

My favorite softwary thing for checking my writing is my wife. She's both soft and wary.
    She graduated second in her class from HS way back when; her grammar knowledge is top-notch.
    And all it costs me is some red pens and my pride -- and half my day-job income.
    A bargain, all things considered.

In all seriousness, I doubt any software can compare to a skilled and trusted friend.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Earp likes this.
  3. DPena

DPena Member

I concur. Unfortunately, my wife is neither of those things! I still love her though. Her best friend, however, not only writes professionally for regular publications but also reads far more than anyone else I know. Even though she owes me nothing, she's agreed to read over my manuscript and give me her thoughts.

I would, however, prefer to give her something that's not a dumpster fire. The last thing I need is her rubbing her eyes and wondering just what she signed up for!

4. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

I know what you mean. But all I have experience with is Word's grammar checking, which actually got worse when I was forced to upgrade from Office 2013 to Office 2016.

5. DPena

DPena Member

Yeah, Word really hates commas.

6. Reece

Reece Senior Member

I have a bookmark folder full of crap. Some specific to the story I'm working on, and then a lot of just like inspirational stuff. Not like, "you can do it!"
    [​IMG]

Here I'll give a few examples:
    https://www.audenjohnson.com/p/writing-fight-scenes-resources.html
    https://www.dailywritingtips.com/100-words-for-facial-expressions/
    https://www.bryndonovan.com/2015/04/05/master-list-of-facial-expressions/

Like inspirational in that if I am stuck and not sure how to describe something I have a bunch of links with prompts.

ETA: There are actually a lot of articles I have bookmarked from here too that are super helpful. Check out the resources tab.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Shenanigator and Stormburn like this.
  7. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I use this one. :)
    (My laptop sits on top of my old large print Thesaurus) :D

For pretty much everything else I have to research cause
    Sci-Fi. :p

8. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

Good post!

Reece likes this.
  9. Fallow

Fallow Banned

I find Word to be adequate for catching grammar errors. If Word is telling you that there is a problem with a sentence, there probably is. Reading critiques on WF shows me that a lot of people who think they have a handle on grammar do not, and are just frustrated that no version of a badly constructed sentence will make the green underline go away.

I generally just google synonyms. You don't have to click to read the results, and the results are links themselves.

10. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

Right now I have Prowriting Aid software, but I've been through Grammerly, Autocrit, and Whitesmoke they all had good and bad points.

11. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I usually consult The Chicago Manual of Style whenever I get stuck on a grammar issue. Other than that, a dictionary and thesaurus are great to have on hand as well.

I also just remembered Grammar Girl. That site is a great resource for quickly looking up answers to common grammar questions.

Shenanigator likes this.