Resources for finding words?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by EraserLark, Apr 4, 2020.

1. jim onion

jim onion New Member

"The Word-Finder, on the other hand, does not merely yield a substitute word but produces an augmentative word, one to embellish and add to an idea."

So, for Love:

"irretrievably; immortally; fondly; ... debasingly; romantically"

And that's just a few of the adverbs. It also has adjectives and verbs. Literally an entire page of listed words.

At the end it has a "see also" section which reads: "(See like, admire, adore.)" That's as close as it comes to a thesaurus right there.

Good for brainstorming. I tend to flip through it if I feel like I've hit some sort of dead-end when working on my WIP. Whether or not I'll use one of the words is another matter, but it serves its intended purpose well. Gets you thinking, sometimes out of the box which can really free you when you right write yourself into a corner.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  2. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Oh, I see. Fascinating.

3. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Unfortunately I think it's out-of-print. But you can still find used copies on Amazon— along with everything else in the world, it would seem.

EDIT: Also, fascinating.

adverbs - adorably; bewitchingly; charmingly; dangerously

4. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

I use wordhippo.com for a thesaurus. It's really easy to use, and since I'm on my computer anyway when I write, I can find a suitable word quickly.

Stormburn and Cdn Writer like this.
  5. LorelF

LorelF New Member

This is the best one I have found. https://www.onelook.com/reverse-dictionary.shtml. The reason I like it is because you can use it to find a word if you only know the definition.

Cdn Writer and Xoic like this.
  6. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  7. GraceLikePain

GraceLikePain Senior Member

Thesaurus.com is garbage these days. They used to be pretty cool with lots of archaic words, but now it's pretty shallow.

You know what's awesome? A word menu. It's a dictionary, except it's organized by subject matter. Want to find something to call the money in your fantasy world? Go to the denominations section and pick one. Fancy a mushroom? There's a whole list of them. It's just the best for figuring out where you want to go with a general concept.

8. Proficere

Proficere Member

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/thesaurus-category/british/general-words-for-areas-of-water
    I use this for things I don't know of- like different types of land formations, water and so on.

I've lived a very sheltered life so I have to do more research than I would like when it comes to finding the names of certain objects or even condensing a series of complex emotions into one word.
    Google is ma fran. "Anatomy of ___ object" usually gets me results for naming certain parts of objects. I didn't know the name of a baluster until I did.

Probably not what OP was specifically looking for, but just in case anyone else was in a rut like me.

GraceLikePain likes this.
  9. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

https://rhymezone.com/ is the single most useful site I’ve ever come across when it comes to writing. As the name suggests, it’s especially useful for poets, but it’s thesaurus is uncannIly brilliant. It’s almost like it knows what word you’re looking for.

10. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

When I find myself using a cliche I will go to google and type in the complete phrase ..Like ...What is another term for I'll be right back.. and I get ...https://www.powerthesaurus.org/i'll_be_right_back/synonyms

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020