Tags:
  1. mariaMonleon

mariaMonleon Member

Revenge

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by mariaMonleon, Sep 27, 2019.

Hi there. I am planning a novella/short story about a revenge. A mother does not get justice for her child's death and therefor she will revenge it. It does not end happily for anyone.

I have concerns that the most important part for her is the child's death. That means that the climax of the story comes early on. One possible solution could be to not reveal the death early but then her actions seems weird.

I really want to start early with the child's birth and show how much she loves him and after the death how her mental helth deteriorates until she gets a new son who she feels she has to protect.

What say you?

2. Mary Elise

Mary Elise Senior Member

Have you read After Anna? It's the first that came to mind. It might help with your structure.

Plot is important and presentation can inhibit plot's effectiveness. Write it as it comes to you, then go back and see if rearranging time helps.

3. Mary Elise

Mary Elise Senior Member

4. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Grammatical point - revenge is a noun, not a verb. "She will avenge it", I think you want.

As for the plot - I think it would put me off to spend a long time reading about how much she loves the child. The climax for the reader is not the child's death, even if it is for the character. If the story is about revenge, that's what you need to focus on.

Personally, I would start the story after the child's death.

LazyBear and Mary Elise like this.
  5. mariaMonleon

mariaMonleon Member

Have not. Will check it out. Yes I will write but I dont like to write without n outline. But will also do extensive editing.

About your quote: was it really the first thing you said to your hubby?

Mary Elise likes this.
  6. Mary Elise

Mary Elise Senior Member

Yes it was. I was working one of my two jobs, thinking about a paper I had to write and my then-three year old daughter's sitter. ...The last thing I wanted was a man in my life.

ETA: That line usually made guys leave me alone. Not my husband, which probably explains why we'll celebrate 25 years soon.

7. mariaMonleon

mariaMonleon Member

My mouther tounge is not English. Correction is good.

Thanks for clearing out the difference between climax and climax.

It is not according to my taste to start with a bang. But I don't enjoy boredom either. A matter of taste or judgement how much getting-to-know-the-characters one should write.

8. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

But you can get to know the character through her actions after the child's death. After all, she's going to be a very different person before and after.

Mary Elise likes this.
  9. AnimalAsLeader

AnimalAsLeader Active Member

The climax is usually the turning point in the characters development, the scene in which the fate of your protagonist is sealed. Therefore, your question should be: What is my character arc? Is it: A peaceful mother is disilusioned with the lack of justice for her child, goes on a violent rampage to avenge it and turns evil? Then the climax is the point when she finally gets her revenge and becomes the evil person.

also, @Mary Elise : My answer to "what's up" is usually "your time". I think that can work in some day-2-day situations between wife and husband?

hexxdemon and Mary Elise like this.
  10. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I agree with @Naomasa298. Start after the child's death. If this is a story about revenge, make it a story about revenge. Develop the mother character as needed for this story. If you want to writ about a loving mother losing her child, I think you're talking about two separate stories.

Naomasa298 and Mary Elise like this.
  11. Mary Elise

Mary Elise Senior Member

:superlaugh: My inner smartass is giving you a 9.9! I like it. Not so much for hubs but I can definitely use that on a couple of people at the office.

Thanks!!!

12. Mary Elise

Mary Elise Senior Member

Now that I think of it, starting from planning to kill the individual who hurt one's child is the midpoint of a shift from parent to avenger. That could be very interesting.

13. Mary Elise

Mary Elise Senior Member

Oops, duplicate.