"Review Room" Upgrade

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Daniel, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The new rules don't prevent newcomers from popping in, posting a couple of insightful reviews like "Agreed", going ahead and posting their works for review, and then vanishing.

Is it worth considering to require a Member status or higher as well? I believe the threshhold from Junior Member to Member is 10 posts, isn't it? That doesn't sound too burdensome if they really are serious about taking part in the forums.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I agree with Cogito. There has been one specific example of that, and Cogito's solution seems to be the best way to deal with it (short of having a mod monitor it specifically).

3. Banzai

I know I've already mentioned this, but it doesn't actually specify the two review requirement anywhere in the Review Room (that I can see, I'm quite happy to be proved wrong). If this could be rectified, it might make things a little clearer for newcomers.

4. Cogito

They do see it as soon as they try to start a thread.

5. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

Umm... Can't say that I'm really understanding this system. I know I'm probably the only one, but... Well, I really don't like it. But mainly because my computer doesn't seem to want to work properly in the "Review Room", and therefore, I can't post any of my pieces.

6. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

You need to post (at least) two reviews of others' work to be allowed to create a thread of your own.

7. Cogito

If you have scripting disabled in your browser, you probably won't see the message box telling you you need to post two revies before you can post each new piece for review.

This post gives some ideas why the review room is set up this way: Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work?

8. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

i'm not sure what you mean.

In order to post your own you must review two other people's first. :D

9. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

I understand that part. But where are we reviewing them? Are we reviewing them on this site or in that "Review Room" link you posted? I tried to go there, and it did not show up right on my computer.

10. adamant

Respond to posts in the area just above where the names of members that are currently on are listed. This includes: Short Stories, Poetry, Song Lyrics, Scripts and Screenplays, Non-Fiction, and Novels.

11. Daniel

All of the sites in "The Review Room" Category. That's where this is taking effect. Thing includes Short Stories, Poetry, Lyrics, and Non-Fiction.

12. adamant

Didn't realize there was an echo in here. Hehe...

13. Daniel

Haha. Sorry Adam.

14. tobefree21

tobefree21 New Member

I'm new here and I want to know how things work.

15. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

If you click on the newbie packet title in my signature I am fairly certain that should hold the information you may require.

If not you can pm one of the moderators who are the purple/pink colour or really any member or one of us reviewers and we would be more than happy to help you out. :)

Hope this helps you.

16. Jerome

Jerome New Member

I love this good idea. In this way we can gain more response.

Thank u.

17. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member

... I really don't get this. I've been commenting on people's pages, and I can no longer make any new threads.

... this review room doesn't seem to make sense to me.

You leave this website for a few months and the whole format changes.

EYE OPENER! lol. :)

18. Raven

Raven Banned

I'm not sure why you can't post a thread. Seems strange since your the first this happened too.

19. Cogito

Hi Laimtoe,

You posted 1 review that I can see, so you need to post one more before you can begin a new Review Room thread.

Only replies in review Room threads are considered reviews, and you need to post two reviews for each new Review Room thread you start.

Also, the review count bedins from the beginning of July, when this was put into place. Prior replies in the Review Room don't count.

I hope this clarifies

20. Cogito

You can, of course, post minimal reviews to allow yourself to post. However, I hope you will take advantage of the opportunity to really dissect the works you review, to gain the maximum benefit from the process.

See the post Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more info.

1 person likes this.
  21. ForsytheTragedy

ForsytheTragedy New Member

New here, but I like this idea.

I'm new here, but I have to say that I like this idea. Not because it gives me the chance to learn by reviewing others' works. Rather, it is a damn fine way to ensure that most people's works get reviewed at some point or another.

I have posted one piece of work in the 'Novels' section of The Review Room, and I am very anxious to see what everyone here thinks of it. I was happy to oblige to the new rules about reviewing before posting, simply because I know what it feels like to want my own work reviewed.

I'm not sure who it was earlier in this thread who said they couldn't stand it when people get discouraged because a reviewer criticizes their work, but I am on the same page with you. I take criticism as helpful rather than hurtful, and use it to better my work.

1 person likes this.
  22. veggie.kid

veggie.kid New Member

good idea

thats a good idea that way no one is left outhttp://writingforums.org/images/skins/cloudskin/smilies/smile.gif

23. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

unfortunately it doesn't always work that way. I am not meaning to bea bummer about this good idea, but I have found that my work is hardly critiqued, and when I post a poem I make sure I do way more than three reviews because I am not very good at them. As I write this I am wondering if other have this problem or if it is just my boring poetry? I do also know that there are reviewers in the forum who will critique if I ask them too but for some reason I feel wierd about that.

24. Cogito

Unfortunately, it's like the old saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." Even with the changes, the volume of material that gets posted in the Review Rooms often exceeds what the reviewers have time to devote time to. And some of that is and always will be that some new joiners only join to post their new masterpiece, so they go through the motions to qualify to put up their story or poem. After that, many of them only return to view the comments, and then vanish.

Please, don't be shy about asking for reviews. Sometimes it's the only way a reviewer will see a new piece before it gets washed out with the flood tides.

Although the Review Team tries to focus on pieces that have gone unanswered, that can mean they also see the new joiner first and assume that the veteran member will have no problems getting a review.

25. Banzai

I personally try to review everything that is posted in the novels forum, simply because that is what I feel I am best with. I do review short stories sometimes, but I'll seldom venture into the poetry forum, since I am not confident in my own poetic abilities to offer people advice on their own. My reviews of poetry tend to be limited to my personal opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.