"Review Room" Upgrade

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Daniel, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

I forgot to mention (since I got lost in my negativity) that I like your idea on how to solve the "no reviews for me" problem Lp :D
    and yes cogito I will have to gather up my nerves and ask a reviewer to look at my stuff.

2. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

It's not a flaw-proof system but it certainly helps. We currently have additional reviewing features in development that will hopefully increase the details in a review and it's length. So keep an eye out. :p

3. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

wordwizard I do apologise that I have missed your work and I will make more of an effort to review your work in the near future as with everyone's work as well.

I look forward to the changes Lp.

4. Raven

Raven Banned

Don't worry Tor we umderstand and hey with current events i think large exceptions will be made. ;)

5. storygirl

storygirl New Member

Seems that we all walk as ourselves and as someone we want to portray to others, so add one more person to that walk and there's the third.

6. absis minas

absis minas New Member

I'll agree with everyone on this in that I like the system. And I'll agree with you, Forsyth and Cogito, on that criticism note. My problem comes when people don't have the patience to adequately "get" something, and so then move on to something that's easier to review. Or they respond negatively without saying why.

7. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Absolutely, too many people review what they find "easy".

I try to always find something positive to say about what i'm reviewing, and if I can't... (which is rare) then i'll give a reason and advice on improvement.

8. Endeavour

Endeavour New Member

How many more reviews do I have to make in order to grant me the right to submit a short story? I have made two reviews already.

Also, is the process of allowing a member to post a piece of writing automated or manual?

9. Torana

Once you make 2 reviews you are able to post a submission to the review room, it is an automated process.

10. Endeavour

Endeavour New Member

Under the "Short Stories" subforum?

11. Torana

You can make your reviews anywhere in the review forum and be able to post wherever you like in there.

You can review a poem and lyric and then post in short stories.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Reviews are only counted in the Review Room forums. Reviewing something posted in a contest thread is good practice, but doesn't count toward the requirements for posting your own piece in the Review Rooms. And it is an automated process, but the quality of the reviews you received may reflect the effort you put into the reviews you post.

13. Scooter

Scooter New Member

Despite the fact that I really don't like reading, I do think this is a good idea. I generally listen to audiobooks.
    I am a bit confused though. How do I review? I clicked the link and it forwarded me to a different, confusing site. If the reviews are on another site, how can you link them to this. I doubt you would look at every review and manually add a point to the account on the other site. Even if you did, how would you link one account to another? I couldn't even register on that site as Scooter so what do I do?

14. Torana

To review a poem, short story, lyric, novel, etc... you simply go into those areas and click on the title of a piece you wish to review and post a reply.

The area to do reviews is in the review room at the bottom of the forum. That link takes you to an area to discuss reviewing in general, techniques and so forth.

What you review is further down in the areas in which you post your own work.

I hope that this helps you to understand a little better. Again sorry for confusions.

15. Torana

The Review Room - Writing Forums - to the reviewing area of the forum also the posting area.

(hope this helps)

16. phurst

phurst New Member

The stores up for review should be taken down after 2-3 weeks or say 5-10 reviews to allow new ones to be posted and to keep the area clean. IMHO

17. Torana

Yes but in doing so people can't go back to a piece to look over a review that they had received.

Reviews often help not just the writers of the pieces but the future readers as well. I think that it is good to be able to look back on past submissions myself and past reviews as it is interesting to see how far writers hve come and often you will find some helpful tips in older submission threads.

I don't see removing peoples work would benefit the forum at all unless the threads contained offensive, discriminative or derogative contents that go against the rules of the forum.

Torana

18. Scooter

Scooter New Member

I actually do see what you mean. Rather than remove them however, I think it would be better to archive them in another forum. If you were to remove them, then it might be a good idea to just send an e-mail to the author with all the reviews so that they can file it themselves and save space on the website.

By the way, thank you for your explanation Torana, it is much more clear now.

19. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

I don't think removal is the way to do it. Just let them drop off the first few pages.(as I assume they do already, lol)

20. Cogito

The default view sorts the threads in reverse order of the newest post of the thread, so the pieces most recently added or commented on appear first.

But as Torana pointed out, reviews are not only for the benefit of the author. Reviewers learn by writing reviews, and all members can learn by looking over pieces alongside their reviews. There is also value in looking over the reviews you have written over time, because reviews are also an area people learn to do better with practice.

21. Etan Isar

Exactly, why remove them?

22. Etan Isar

Sorry, to do two posts in a row, but I am concerned as to how often I should post something in the review room. I tend to do a lot more reviewing than posting, so I pretty much always have pleanty of reviews stored up. How do I know when just because I can post a new submission, it doesn't mean it's been long enough since the last one to do so?

23. phurst

phurst New Member

My feeling is that after a few weeks, they gotten all the reviews they're going to get. I like the suggestion of returning them to the author and then taking them down. I, for one, will take mine off after a week or two. No sense in cluttering up things. The fewer works available, the more reviews they get and if the author has 'moved on' as it has been suggested, why waste my time reviewing something that the author will never see. I want to work with the anxious? Keep it fresh.

24. Cogito

phurst: Please do not remove works from the Review Rooms. You may have gotten all the benefit from thame you were looking for, but the entire forum benefits from seeing other work and its reviews.

The freshest threads always appear first in the forums, unless you specifically change your view settings. There is no need to "reduce clutter".

Etan Isar, reviews don't expire. You need to have two reviews later than July 2007 (when the new requirements began) for every new piece you post for review, but there is no "freshness" requirement. Hopefully, the strongest incentive will be that the more you review, the better you will become at going over your own work critically, and the better the quality you will deliver.

25. phurst

phurst New Member

At what point does a piece change from being posted for critique to being published. It's a fine line after a period and once the reviews stop coming and others have had a chance to look, I would prefer that by posting be deleted. Take a look and see when the last time was that some of the threads were even visited. I'll bet you have plenty abandoned postings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.