Rhapsody (Fantasy)

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Oasis Writer, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Milady

Milady Active Member

Evan's introductions weren't exactly the formal ritual used by the Family, but they got the job done.

Still sitting on Evan's shoulders as the group slowly approached the mass of Bad Ones, Sare was admiring Adelaide's wings and trying her best to keep the name straight. Adelaide. Adelaide. It was a mouthful, but Sare reasoned that Angel names were supposed to be.

Suddenly, something crashed in the woods that crept slowly up on the city's walls. Evan flinched subtly under her, and Naomi cocked her head, listening. Adelaide took a more direct approach; she spread her wings and rocketed off into the air with a quick wave.

"Where is she going?" Sare asked, but nobody answered. "Look, she's seen something!" she said as Adelaide angled down and dove into the scrubby trees only a few yards away.

Leaning forward and almost overbalancing Evan, Sare could make out the Angel accosting what seemed to be yet another child. Looking closer, she could see that it wasn't a kid after all, but some sort of man. Sare was probably already as tall as him, whoever he may be. He had the longest hair, though, and it was white--whiter even than Evan's hair.

Sare didn't like the idea of more strangers, not when she was finally learning people's names. "Leave us alone!" She shouted at it, but was immediately silenced by many pairs of eyes--the scariest of them purple.

Up ahead, the masses rotated slowly in their direction. The storm hadn't yet broken, but it was coming fast.

2. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

"Great." I said under my breath, as i took a deep breath trying to steady my shakeing legs. I had already used more magic than I should have today, but still i looked around quickly for anything that might help the situation. Nothing stood out as helpful. "I guess it's just me and you." I said to Aquarius.

"So somethings never change." He replied in a tense, deeper voice than normal.

I stepped up next to Evan and Sare, and forced my fear deep into the back of my mind. If you learned one thing from magic useage it was control. I widened my stance a bit, hopeing to give my self enough of a base that i wasn't just ran over, and after sapping the smallest amount of magic from my body Aquarius prepared to jump at what ever attacked us.

He was just like all my creations, I had to feed him magic to keep him in his form, or else he'd just be another piece of wood. Thus he stayed by my side, never straying from phisical contact for more than a moment.

Adelaide spread her beutiful wings and shot into the air, a strangly peaceful view in this war zone. I guess it could be called a candle in a dark room.
    I bearly noticed Adelaide dive into the bushes and figured that an angel could easily take care of herself, no matter how fragile she looked. I needed to concentrate or i'd be dead the moment that these things charged, it was like watching the sun go down everynight knowing that i'd soon be greeted by the cold moon, and the silence and lonelyness that the silence brought with it, the cold pain in my core that reminded me that i lived on the street, that i was the only one of my kind around, and that death would come for me if my body ever lost to the cold. I would not lose! I could not lose! Then Sare shouted and the mob slowly shifted as if her voice had broken some unspoken spell that held them still.

"BRING IT ON!" I shouted in a challenge to the demon's without and with in.

3. Darkthought

Darkthought Active Member

A Pounding of Hooves--Adrastus

A pounding of hooves could be heard through the still, silent masses of the creatures aptly named Dark Ones. Adrastus had encountered a few such creatures in his time and all of them were deadly. Strange, bodiless things they were. Like darkness made living. They were the fears of all the people of the world embodied. These monstrosities were creations of the darkness, always present in the world after great tragedies. It was no wonder that so many should appear in one place so soon after the Great War had ended. The mass seemed focused on one area, though Adrastus could not see on what it was they focused. Surely the other side of this mass held at least a clue to the object of his long searching since the end of the war a little more than two months ago.

Suddenly a cry rang out through the horde of Dark Ones. "Leave us alone!" As if the entire world had released the breath it had been holding, the Dark Ones shifted in their ranks and began to move inward, towards the source of the noise.

A pounding of hooves mixed in the air with wispy sound of the Dark Ones movements as Adrastus neared the rear flank of the horde. He dropped the reigns of the massive black warhorse on which he rode just long enough to reach his hands down and grasp the hilt of the weapons at his sides.

"Protect me, dear friends, that I might protect others in turn. Serve me that I might serve when it is asked of me. If it should be your will that I die today, then I am proud to die in the company of friends."

Perhaps it was just a trick of the light, but as Adrastus finished his mantra, the blades seemed to shimmer as if alive. The feathers of the silver-worked hawk on the hilt of the longsword and the dove on the hilt of the dagger seemed to be more pristine, seemed to bristle with anticipation if such a thing were possible.

The horde of Dark Ones rushed forward and Adrastus could hear cries of battle echoing from deep within the might host's folds. Adrastus' horse let out a mighty sound as it collided with the rear line of the enemy. The blades and metal spikes of the horse armor cut and pierced through the folds. Ahead, Adrastus could make out a forest and a small group of people doing their best to fend off the seemingly endless waves of Dark Ones.

Adrastus leaned down and whispered in the horse's ear, "Good luck...find me when it is done." With that, he leaped to his feet in the saddle, so that he was standing at full height on the steed's back holding nothing but the reigns. He neared the small circle that the defending group had managed to hold and, in a mighty display, drew his blades and jumped from the saddle. Adrastus spun through the air, landing finally between the defenders and the Dark Ones.

His stance was perfect. He lofted the beautiful and mighty two-hander effortlessly in one hand over his head, the long bladed dagger going up the length of his lower arm nearer to his waist. The dimming rays flashed off the steel like the fire of war, and an unspeakable fury raged in his stormy blue-gray eyes as he met head on with the first of the Dark Ones. The creature lunged at him and its attack was answered with the fiery steel and stormy rage. The two-hander came down hard, crushing the creature as much as cutting it in two. A second passed and another of the Dark Ones broke rank and lunged at Adrastus. It received a furious slash to the face from the long bladed dagger and then a quick returned slash that lobbed the dark mass where its head should have been completely off.

The waves of Dark Ones seemed to pause for a moment to take in this new threat. In that brief reprieve Adrastus turned his head towards the defenders. "You fools! RUN!" That was when Adrastus saw him. There before him was white haired, red eyed Evan Del Blaine.

4. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

I started and for a moment looked at the girl in front of me. I could not see her face but I heard her scream something at the thugs who were now closing in on her. I could not take it anymore and ran out, putting my wand into my staff as I got closer.

“Leave her alone you villains,” I cried, “Fight with your equal.”

The thugs stiffened and slowly turned around. Surprise shot to their faces, and one of them laughed.

“Get back, kid,” he said, “You ain’t belong around here, get back to you Mumsies, before we hurt ya love.”

“No, she won’t.” Another chided, “I take her with me” They laughed again.

1 person likes this.
  5. Terra Valentine

Terra Valentine New Member

I observed my surroundings the best that I could and found a path that led northeast around the massive army. Although they were staring right at us, I could only assume that their leader had ordered them not to attack. Odd, but I took the advantage. I waved my hand in signal to have the others follow me.

"My name is Evan Amaryllis Del Blaine." The man from the pub said. Evan. Nice name.

"Naomi." I replied quickly.

“Sare.” the little girl said.

From behind me, I heard the boy I hadn't yet met speak. "I'm Aquarious and he's Drake." I looked back to see Drake and his little pal, a dragon.

The angel spoke last. “Adelaide Bequem.” Even her voice carried its own beautiful tune.

“Okay, Naomi. Lead the way.” Evan said. I nodded my approval.

It wasn't far to the forest the path led into. But the forest was dark and cold and everyone seemed to walk hesitantly to get there. It took longer than it ought to, but we were getting away from the Dark Ones and that was okay with me, no matter how long it took.

I took one last look before we entered the forest, and to my suprise the Dark Ones had vanished. Damn hybrids, I thought, my jaw clenching. Damn immortals. The hybrids speed was comparative to my own. How could the rest of the group keep up? And would I be able to keep my speed and still keep Evan safe? I didn't want to think a mortal could make me falter so, but I wasn't sure...

I was sure the hybrids had entered the forest further down the forest's edge, but why they hadn't attacked us yet was unbelievable. I looked back into the trees and gasped.

"What is it?" Evan said stepping to my side and looking into the darkness as well. He squinted.

I merely looked on with fear. There, in the darkness, farther than the others could see, were the thousands of red eyes glowing faintly in the shadows. They had followed us. I looked around us and, sure enough, we were being enclosed by the hooded fiends.

An ambush.

How could I had been so stupid?

I spoke my next words carefully, slowly, as if weighing each one. There was only one way out of this mess. We couldn't take them alone and definitely could not take them right now. "Adelaide, can you carry people and, if so, how many at one time?"

The others exchanged looks of confusion and fear.

6. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Everything was starting to confuse me. My eyes were lying me with events that could be happening and what wasn’t happening at all. The sight of people in the woods, Adelaide finding the elf and then coming back into what was impossible odds against the dark ones. I was discombobulated.

I watched as the dark ones started to surround us, the newest member of our little group that was carrying amazing blades swinging at them; turning many to cinder, Drake and his dragon starting to attack as well, and Naomi turning to battle as many as she could off of us.

I swiftly pulled Sare off me and pushed her to run off into the forest with the elf that Adelaide had found. I figured she would be safe. Most of their kind was very kind and peaceful.

I pulled my blade and turned to attack, seeing the eyes of the new warrior on me, staring me down, as if he were trying to stab me down with knives. It was unexpected, but I dealt with it for the moment. He was familiar, but I didn’t want to play too much into the thought.

Arrows flew through the air, blades swung, and screams surrounded us. I could only see what was in front of me. Surprisingly, I was a natural at this. My swings were effective, and taking down the dark ones, one at a time, though most of them took several swings before they’d turn to cinder. I hadn’t fought in a long time, I thought, since I only remembered the last two months.

Naomi dove into another three, tearing them to shreds.

The girl that had been using magick a few hundred yards away had finally made her way closer to us, though we had made our way towards her. We weren’t making much of a dent in the thousands, but we were doing something.

Blood ran down my face across my eyes. One of them had caught me with their long claws, catching my forehead and eye. I don’t know if it caught me in the eye completely, but I could tell I was bleeding. I didn’t rely on my sight, I relied merely on instinct and formation. They were all the same. They moved side to side first, and then dove forward in a slight sway.

Something then happened. Something I could never explain with words, but I knew the exact feeling, because I had felt it before I had lost my memory.

A flash of silver, before the immediate darkness.

I was blinded by the action, everyone around me, my ‘friends’, the girl with the magic and the new warrior, and the dark ones, all disappeared. I was alone in the darkness. I wasn’t sure if everyone else was in the same darkness, but I knew they weren’t with me. I felt a sting before I was surrounded by immediate light once again. I wasn’t in the field of shadows and trees that I had been in before. I was in a field of white. I looked around and saw nothingness. My head hurt, and I was slightly disoriented, but I was alone.

“Hello?”

Nothing.

“Anyone!?”

Nothing.

“Great…” I said aloud. “I’m dead…”

“Of course you’re not.”

I jumped…who was that? I looked around, seeing nothing.

“Fool, it’s me.”

I looked sharply to the right, and then to the left. I was hearing myself? I didn’t understand why was my own mind talking to me. I wasn’t thinking of anything.

“You’re not dieing fool. You’re right here.”

“Stop.”

“Stop what? Being myself?! How dare you try and control me!”

“Stop…”

“God, you are truly hopeless.”

“Where are you?!”

“I’m you, you imbecile. I’m everything you are, I’m everything you will ever be, and I’m everything you’ll want to be.”

“Stop that.”

“You don’t understand, do you? You are a murdered, you know that right?”

I shut up, biting my lip hard. No blood came, no matter how hard I bit.

“You used to be the best in Malnarcosus. You were the one warrior they could never control. You were the one warrior that could do whatever you wanted to do, and get away with it. You murdered millions. You helped destroy the forests of Leemaxus, where the elfs lived. You were the one that destroyed much of Haven Valley. You were number one until the Great War ended. Until the Minister of Malnarcosus lost all interest in you and tried to eliminate you. You fell into the sea by Potornaums. You were lucky the bartender, that Jennifer saved you as you were still afloat.”

It pained me but I knew it was true. I looked up at what I thought was the sky and started to cry. My eyes were burning.

“What about her.

I opened my eyes when my mind didn’t answer. I looked around frantically until…

I really opened my eyes…

I was laying down in a bed. I was still alone, or I thought I was. I tried to stand, but I couldn’t pull myself up in the bed. It hurt to move, to breathe, to do anything. I laid back down and sighed.

“Good, you’re up.”

My eyes opened immediately at the sound of a second voice that wasn’t my own. I looked off to my left, but saw someone I was not familiar with. She was in the shadows, but she was someone I had never met before. I could barely see.

“Who are you?”

“You lost your right eye, dear. You were really wounded. I was surprised to find you still alive. You have a strong soul.”

“What?!” I reached for my eye, finding cloth wrapped around it. I pulled my hand away slowly. “What else has happened?”

“Your leg is gashed really badly. It will be difficult to walk for a while, but I think you’ll heal. I don’t know white magic, or I’d be more help.”

I could feel the pain in more places than my leg.

“Your chest was crushed inward.” She said quietly. “Almost as if a boulder landed on you. What were you doing?”

I didn’t want to fill her in on the horror. I waited for her to speak.

“You’ll have a hard time breathing for a while, but otherwise, you should be okay. We’re safe here.”

I sighed, laying back down. “Where am I?”

“Noempla.”

I shot up, the pain my body tightening around my lungs. “How?!”

“You were in the streets. I found you…I’m so sorry.” She was afraid. I knew she was. I settled down.

“Where’s everyone else?”

She was still scared, but this time with confusion. “There was no one else.”

Where did they go? Had everyone made it out alive? What had happened? I laid back down and closed my eyes. This was too much for me. I would think more about after I awoke. I was able to force out a last thought before I left the girl alone.

“Thank you…for saving me.”

She giggled.

If you have posted before this post, you have a mission:

1) Fight the Dark Ones.

2) You must eliminate at least five Dark Ones in your post.

3) You must see a silver flash, then be surrounded by darkness, before coming into a world of complete white, surrounding you completely in every direction. You may reword it however you decide to, but it must be the same for everyone to the least. Silver, darkness, then white.

4) Have a mental breakdown. You have to talk to yourself for at least one dialogued line. This is to expand your character. Have a revelation, find something cool out about yourself, or maybe make us want to know more about your character. Find something, and use it. But you must talk to yourself for at least one line, and get a response.

5) Be revived if you desire to continue through the story.

6) Since there are only…what? – Eight or so characters before this post, you must pick a town that has not been occupied by ANYONE else, excluding Greava.

7) Do not explain how you got there. No explainations, that will be left to me at a later date.

8) Explain any wounds you may or may not of gotten, but you do not have to explain how you got them. That is optional.

9) End with a nap. Any kind of sleep. I don’t care if it’s a coma. But you gotta fall asleep in the end of the post. That way, we can start off being all refreshed the next post. :)

___

Rules:

Everyone before this post:

Evan A. Del Blaine - Oasis Writer
    Naomi Kaiser - Terra Valentine
    Lucida – Leaka
    Sare – Milady
    Drake - chad.sims2
    Adelaide Bequem – Bick
    Adrastus Aleksandr – Darkthought
    Maeith - Dropbear_OZ
    Ramela Freelae – Neha

1)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]You all have posted before this post. If you want to continue on, you must use each of the above guidelines. They are honestly not that hard, and can be broken down in to a few steps. Go fight, disappear, talk to yourself, wake up in a cool new town by yourself. It’s simple. Do it like that, please.
    2)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]I will post after each post so everyone knows.
    3)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]I will post the lands that are used when you awake in them.
    4)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]You may wake up in your hometown.
    5)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]You may be found by people you know
    6)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Have fun, be creative, and show your imagination and writing skills.

If there are any questions, refer them to the Discussion thread, or to myself in the Discussion thread. There is a map up in the beginning of the Discussion thread, as well as an overview of the whole map in the beginning of the RP itself.

7. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

They where upon us. I reacted as well as I could. Clumsily dodging and striking back at their barley real bodies. I felt the thin nicks of steel cutting my flesh but refused to give ground against them. I struck, time and time again, but still I could not manage to down one of them with my small knife.

Aquarius let out a sound halfway between a lion’s roar and an eagles call, and for a moment his nails dug into me and I risked a glance over at him to see that the ear on my side had been carved off by the monster’s claw. Then he leapt with a ferocity I hadn’t known he possessed into the cloak where the face should have been, then back out of the blackness as the creature crumbled to ashes.

Their face? I thought and as the one fell I took advantage of catching the next off guard and leap with all my might burying my knife into it’s head. It to crumbled but the next one was ready and I leapt back running into someone or something as I did and I felt the claws dig into my chest. Aquarius leapt again and again the creature fell to his razor teeth tearing at it’s face. It followed the first two into hell. But now two came at me at once, I knew I would soon be mashed and choose to take at least one of them with me. I leapt with all my might and ignored as I felt a set of claws ripe away at my left shoulder and plunged my knife into this one’s face. The other one I turned to see Aquarius dealing with. He finished, leapt, and was cut in half as he neared his resting place on my shoulder. Two wooden haves landed heavily on the ground.

I turned to continue, putting Aquarius out of my mind for the moment and was blinded by a brilliant flash of silver. It lasted only a moment as darkness deeper than any night replaced it. A cold empty darkness, that lasted a moment before being replaced by an endless field of White.

“What happened?” I asked the emptiness, only to find my own voice replying.

“You were weak.”

“No, that can’t be true. If I die then there’s no one left!” I said shaking, falling to my knees, tears running down my cheek.

“What does it matter? Would anyone miss us? No, they wouldn’t, you live alone, you live hatefully at the world who hunted down your kind due to their own pride!”

“No that can’t be true.” I argued. “It was not our fault, they where scared of us, they where greedy, they where evil.”

“Really? That’s just the story that you’ve convinced yourself of over the years.” My voice said to myself cruelly and calculated. “This is how things truly went, The Darkling king in his folly declared that all other races where worthless, forbid them entry into his lands, and then declared war on the world, foolishly thinking that he could beat them all. Everyone has told you that the Darklings where powerful but there power couldn’t over power the armies of man, and so they where rightfully removed from the face of the earth for their Pride and Prejudice.”

“How can you take there side?” I screamed and the voice laughed.

“Who said that? Their where woman and children killed, their war was one to eliminate us for our kings crimes, but they where not at fault for it, it was the king!” I buried my face against the ground hands covering it catching my tears.

“We’re finally extinct then?” I asked through shaking breaths.

“Not quite.” Came a harsh voice in reply. I opened my eyes slowly and looked upon a rough looking man clad in hard leather, and smelling of rotten eggs. “So you’ll live.” He said softly and the pain of my wounds rushed back to me.

“Where am I?” I asked softly against the pain in my ribs.

“HavenValley, in the camp of the great bandit lord Rufio the heartless.” He said as if that should impress me. I still felt my moist eyes, and tried to deny what my dream had told me but couldn’t, but even so managed a quizzical look at the bandit, which I now realized that was what he was. “You’re not from around hear.” He said to himself as if confirming some suspicion. “Well it doesn’t matter because you’re being sold as a slave within the week.” He said and stood to leave the small tent I was in. It was simple unadorned and had only a small flap for a door. He opened the flap and sand blew in from outside. I had no doubt now that the man had told me the truth, why lie to a prisoner anyways. The flap closed and I attempted to move, knowing that I would have to disappear before I was sold. I found only tight rope binding my arms and legs and even tighter pain in my many small cuts, my chest and my left shoulder.

I soon found myself falling back to sleep, thankful for the break from the world, and from myself. Hoping that when I awoke I’d be in better shape to escape.

8. Darkthought

Darkthought Active Member

We are you, and you are us.--Adrastus

Adrastus had only a brief second to look into Del Blaine's eyes before the tide of the enemy crashed once more against all of them. They were everywhere, Dark Ones on his left, his right, behind him, in front of him. He had been cut off from the group, cut of from his prize of Del Blaine's head. The thought enraged him.

The Dark Ones had him completely encircled. He began to realize there was absolutely no hope of survival for him if he tried to fight, yet Adrastus was calm. He had faced death many times before in places darker and colder than this. Adrastus smirked and gripped the hilts of his weapons tight.

"I am proud to die in the company of friends." The blades seemed to shimmer again, both ready for death and glory. The Dark Ones began moving in on all sides, closing the distance between them rapidly. In a sudden flash, Adrastus charged straight ahead and dove into the ranks of Dark Ones. He did not give them the chance to come to him. In a fluid motion he swung a wide arc in front of him with the two-hander. His enemies jumped back, but two were not so lucky. A pair of the shadow creatures fell in half and burst into cinders. From behind him, two more leaped into the air and dove onto his back. The monsters had no faces to speak of, but Adrastus could feel their razor-like fangs tear into the tender flesh of his neck. He cried out, but he did not fall or falter. He kept lashing out ahead. Another of the dark ones fell, this one to the dagger. Its head had been split down the middle. Another of the creatures latched onto his right leg and bit in. Adrastus fell to his knees. As he was about to lash out with the two-hander once more, a fourth Dark One dug its stiletto claws into the muscle of his arm. The weapon fell from his grasp, his tendons cut. Adrastus called his last bit of strength to him and stood, letting out a cry to shake the bones of any man, a battle cry. In the distance there was a sound of hooves. The mighty warhorse charged through the ranks toward its master. A pair of Dark Ones attempted to impede it, but met untimely ends as they were impaled on the spike battle armor and burst into cinders. Just as the mighty beast was nearing Adrastus, a Dark One leaped from the mass and jammed its claws through the unarmored section of the horse's neck. Adrastus cried out in despair. Suddenly, not far off, a magnificent silver light erupted upwards. It was so bright, even when Adrastus shut his eyes he could still feel it searing them out. Then there was darkness.

Adrastus' eyes snapped open. A vast expanse of pristine whiteness greeted him. He became acutely aware of the lack of anything at all. A man could go mad in a place like this.

Slowly, he sat up. His wounds appeared to be healed, or more precisely, appeared to have never happened.

No hurt can come to you in this place Adrastus.

The voice was strong and imposing. Even without seeing the person it belonged to, he could tell the man was powerful warrior. Adrastus jumped to his feet and reached for his weapons. They were gone. The voice laughed, a deep and thunderous rumble.

Adrastus, have you become so dependent on such things? That was not your way once.

Adrastus spun around wildly and shouted, "Who are you?! Show yourself demon! I am not afraid to face you!"

A soothing voice answered him this time. It was like a warm wind.

We are you, and you are us. The dove to your hawk, the hawk to your dove.

This didn't make any sense at all. Adrastus felt himself getting dizzy.

Adrastus, came the strong voice. What has become of you? Are you so given over to revenge that you have forgotten everything you were taught?

"Del Blaine had nothing to do with this!"

Oh poor child, came the gentle voice. Del Blaine is but one of the many masks you put on your own flaws. You are no different from hi-

"Shut up!" cried Adrastus frantically. "Shut up! Del Blaine is nothing! NOTHING!"

Adrastus sputtered and choked as the water tried to fill his lungs. He made himself roll over, every part of his body crying out in pain. Above him, gray clouds rolled on their way. A chill wind buffeted him. He was back in the mountains, back in Lootah.

The shallow stream made little eddies and whirlpools around his body as he lay there. He felt as though every bone in his body had broken. He thought he could hear the splash of several feet coming up the stream. Then he saw his reflection. No, not his reflection, but much the same. It was younger, and beardless.

"He lives, but he is badly hurt," said the reflection as it looked off to the side. "Help me carry him."

Adrastus vision faded as he was once more engulfed in darkness. There was no white expanse this time, only nightmares of his past. He saw the faces of those he had killed during the great war, a countless number. He had served every nation, every lord. He saw Del Blaine standing over him, the man's blade pressed hard against Adrastus's neck. Then there was nothing at all, only quiet darkness and the sound of rain on the mountains.

9. Bick

Bick New Member

The Dark ones upon me in a sudden rush. In a split second I took flight, the skies being the best place for me. I was feet from the ground when the first dark one struck me, I yelled out in pain, struggling to get into the air. I flapped as hard as I could, kicking the beast from me.

I took to the air, ignoring the pain in my ankle. I quickly grabbed my bow from its resting-place, and put the arrow in place, pulling the string back. I aimed for the nearest dark one. The arrow shot forward at tremendous speed hitting it where it’s heart should have been. I watched in amazement as the creature fell to it’s death, turning into a mass of ashes.

I hovered just above the trees, making sure I could see dark ones. I pulled out another arrow, aimed, and shot another of the dark ones just below me. A gust of wind changed the path of the projectile by inches, making the arrow miss the heart area. I cursed under my breath, sending another arrow its way. It fell to the ground, turning to ash. I flew higher, grabbing another arrow and shooting another in the heart.

Suddenly a pain emitted from my wing, and I screamed in agony and I plummeted to the ground. I fell to the ground with a bone-crunching sound, and sharp pain went throughout my body. I quickly got up, clenching my teeth as more pain shot through my ankle. I quickly thrust my bow back onto my shoulder, and pulled out my dagger as the dark men took notice of me. I thrust my wings out, clearing the ones surrounding me from behind. I limped forward, jumping onto the nearest dark man. I screamed, plunging my dagger into his heart. I fell to the ground; it’s burnt remains surrounding me. I thrust my wings back again, as more came from behind. I struggled to get up, as a blade just barely missed my head. I stood up, as a dark man flung at me, and I fell to the side as he barely missed me. I got up, fling my arm around with the blade in front in quick intervals.

I attempted to flap my wings, but to no avail. I screamed in pain, as it shot through my wings furiously. I yelled, as a blade sliced my arm. I lunged forward, taking the dark man responsible for my new wound with me. The creature’s strength was immense as it threw me from atop it. I fell to it’s side, quickly rolling near the creature, thrusting my sword at the creature. It yelled as my blade pierced its neck, but that only angered it as it grabbed my wrist, twisting the blade from my hand. I screamed in pain, trying to struggle free from it’s grip. Suddenly it let go, only to get up. It grabbed it’s sword and thrust the blade down upon me.

I yelled, and caught his blade with my dagger. My wrists shook from the pressure, and I rolled to the side, getting up unsteadily. I yelled defiantly, running at the beast and knocking it down once more. This time, I didn’t miss as I lunged my sword into the creatures black heart. The ash flew around me, as something stuck my head.

There was a quick, illuminated flash of silver light. Suddenly everything went into a thick, seemingly palpable darkness. Then as suddenly as it came, it left me onto pure nothingness. I was surrounded by white, as if on a clean slate of paper. I gasped, and it echoed.

I was standing, or if that’s what you could consider it. It’s a feeling one can’t really explain. For, how do you stand on nothing? My ankle was no longer in pain, and my wing was in perfect condition.

“Hello!” I said, and my voice echoed as if I was on a canyon-side.

“You know, no one can hear you.” I heard a very familiar voice say. I quickly looked around, seeing nothing.

“Who’s there?” I asked, reaching for my dagger, but to my amazement it was nowhere to be seen.

“You don’t need weapons here.” The voice stated.

“Who.. are you?” I asked.

Suddenly the entirety of the nothingness was filled with the sound of pure, honest laughter.
    I shivered.

“I’m you, of course.”

“Have I finally gone insane?” I asked.

“No. I’m still in you, I’m just the truth. The truth you deemed insufferable, and left in the back of your mind. You can’t hide from the truth love.”

I wrung my hands, and screamed “Go away!” My voice echoed once more, causing me to fall to my knees; my hands shaking.

“You knew. You knew that bastard killed your parents. He enslaved you! For all those years, but he grew to love you as daughter. He adopted you, making you forget what a monster he really was! He murdered them Addy!” the voiced screamed, and tears fell down my eyes.

“That was the old him! He-“ I was quickly interrupted.

“No. You know he was never an honest man. Do you think he made a living by cooking? Heavens no! He was a thief and murderer and you just let that slide! You’re no better then Thomas, you’re a coward! I filthy coward! The blood of the innocent people he murdered. All for what? A few dollars and food on your table! You filthy coward!” The nothingness shook with fury, and the tears fell down my face in sheets.

“Look, I think she’s awake!” said a child’s voice said. My eyes slowly opened. My body ached in every area, my ankle throbbing the most. I lifted my arm and yelled in pain. My wrist black with bruises in the shape of a gripping hand.

“Good to see you’re awake.” Said an older, female voice.

I struggled to sit up, wincing as my wings came from the earth.

“Where am I?” I yelled, recollecting myself.

“Why, you’re in the Celot Forest.” Said a grey haired old woman. Behind her peaked a young boy. I smiled and gave him a little wave with my healthy hand.

“Where are the others?” I asked, looking around the general area.

“What others young lady?” said the woman.

My heart skipped with panic. Where were they? Where they okay? What about the children?
    “You should really rest, you got beat up pretty badly. I’ve already dressed your wounds.” Said the old woman, handing me a blanket.

“Yes, rest would be good.” I said yawning, and laying my head down on a rock. I placed the blanket over my throbbing body.

“Thank you so much.” I said, as I closed my eyes. Sleep found me fast, and I smiled, falling into a dreamless sleep.

10. Sugar N. Spice

Sugar N. Spice New Member

Name: Corin Garou
    Notable Aliases: 'The Young Wolf'
    Race: Werewolf
    Birthplace: The northern forests of Freaval
    Eyes: Brown
    Hair: Brown
    Height: 4'9 ft.
    Weight: 90 lbs.

Family: Older Brother
    Parents: Both Deceased
    Siblings: Older Brother
    Genealogical Descendants (Same DNA): None
    Wife: None
    Descendants: None
    Attire: Fleece-lined jacket, boots, pants (remember, he's from Freaval!)
    Weapon of Choice (Max of two): Transformation, knife
    Weapon Description: His knife is large, with the inscription of the name of his lost older brother, Fenris
    Notable Powers (Max of two): Transformation
    Description: Corin is carefree, playful and a bit of a prankster, though he can be a brat when he wants to be.

I laughed as I ran along the shore of the beach. I loved to run- it gave me an unspeakable sensation in my heart. I could chase the sun- I could kick a hole in the sky. When I thought of that, I stopped running. Memories unwanted pushed and pushed until they were there. A deep, dark feeling crept into my solar plexus and I sighed. I was thinking of him again.

"Brother," I thought like a child.

After Fenris left, I didn't have a place to live- I'd burned every single memory of him. Though the ashes, the remains of that fire, were still in my mind.

I walked along the beach some more, and I realized that I haven't had a place to live for ages now. I'd been traveling and making money here and there as a chef at various inns.

"That's not living," I thought bitterly.

I sighed, my energy drained.

I hated thinking about my brother. It made me weak, vulnerable. It was one of the few things that made my life miserable, the memory of him.

My way of dealing with things is that I tried not to think of them. I try not to reminise.

I shrugged it off, but then I thought about something else.

Did I miss anyone when I leave a place?

Usually what kids do when they leave their home is they feel sad, or maybe even cry. I'm not in the usual category. I never clinged or cried to my brother. Though I loved him then, I merely said goodbye to him and left it at that. But I am stronger than that. Much stronger.

I am on my way to becoming a man, and I don't need anything like my memories of Fenris keeping me from reaching my goal of becoming stronger.

*****************************************************************************

I came upon a door to a house on the beach. Though, when I tried to open the door, my hand kept going back to where it was. It kept going forward, then back, forward, then back again. I didn't know why I was so afraid of the door, or what was inside. Not even my fiery pride could find the strength to make me open the door. And that's saying something.

Though, when I tried opening the door again, I heard a voice.

2 people like this.
  11. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    Name: Laramy Swift
    Notable Aliases: Larry
    Race: Human(? Or as close to the basic race as you can get.)
    Birthplace: Malnarcosus
    Eyes: Grey
    Hair: Red with streaks of black
    Height: Six foot Flat
    Weight: 170

Family: One brother, who died long ago.
    Parents: Owned a small bakery, but both died long ago.
    Siblings: One brother, who died long ago.
    Genealogical Descendants (Same DNA): None. Abstinent in the name of Hesh.
    Wife: None. Abstinent in the name of hesh.
    Descendants: None.
    Attire: Folds of robes. Dark green and brown, with layers of lighter shades of bath. Simple boots, and a massive belt used to hold the terric' rom.
    Weapon of Choice (Max of two): Carries a staff.
    Weapon Description: Old, wooden, looks like it's barely able to support its user.
    Notable Powers (Max of two): Religious abilities and a gift of tongues.
    Description: Looks a bit like a drunk, but carries himself like he has an Eire of nobility about him. Though recently cast out of the order, he is, none the less, an ordained priest and subjects to the all the powers pertaining to. Larry was top of his class in seminary, doing well and looking like he was in store for a brilliant future in the church, until something dark returned from his past: something he thought he done away with long ago.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

I'll post tonight. It's looking like it'll go into two pages, maybe three. Sorry. Most of if, though, takes place before the story.

1 person likes this.
  12. Oasis Writer

If you have posted before this post, you have a mission:

1) Fight the Dark Ones.

2) You must eliminate at least five Dark Ones in your post.

3) You must see a silver flash, then be surrounded by darkness, before coming into a world of complete white, surrounding you completely in every direction. You may reword it however you decide to, but it must be the same for everyone to the least. Silver, darkness, then white.

4) Have a mental breakdown. You have to talk to yourself for at least one dialogued line. This is to expand your character. Have a revelation, find something cool out about yourself, or maybe make us want to know more about your character. Find something, and use it. But you must talk to yourself for at least one line, and get a response.

5) Be revived if you desire to continue through the story.

6) Since there are only…what? – Eight or so characters before this post, you must pick a town that has not been occupied by ANYONE else, excluding Greava.

7) Do not explain how you got there. No explainations, that will be left to me at a later date.

8) Explain any wounds you may or may not of gotten, but you do not have to explain how you got them. That is optional.

9) End with a nap. Any kind of sleep. I don’t care if it’s a coma. But you gotta fall asleep in the end of the post. That way, we can start off being all refreshed the next post. :)

___

Rules:

Still has to complete the mission.

Lucida – Leaka
    Sare – Milady
    Ramela Freelae – Neha

1)You all have posted before this post. If you want to continue on, you must use each of the above guidelines. They are honestly not that hard, and can be broken down in to a few steps. Go fight, disappear, talk to yourself, wake up in a cool new town by yourself. It’s simple. Do it like that, please.
    2)I will post after each post so everyone knows.
    3)I will post the lands that are used when you awake in them.
    4)You may wake up in your hometown.
    5)You may be found by people you know
    6)Have fun, be creative, and show your imagination and writing skills.

If there are any questions, refer them to the Discussion thread, or to myself in the Discussion thread. There is a map up in the beginning of the Discussion thread, as well as an overview of the whole map in the beginning of the RP itself.

Cannot use Lootah, Ghjiet, Haven Valley, or Noempla.

13. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

A creature with wings had spotted me, but he flew quickly off because of the dark ones. I was curious and followed their flight with my eyes. I ran as they fell. But they were no longer there. I watched as a man carried him away. I ent back into the forest and bumped into ragged armor.
    The smell of vanquishing darkness and the abyss. A dark one. It growled at me and I backed away.
    I was no fighter even though I knew magic great magic I was no fighter. I was not good at dodging and combat.
    What did I do now? There were more and more coming. I lifted my staff up and the skies turned dark. Magma balls came down from the dark clouds. the dark ones burned, but it still wasn't enough.
    I realized in the forest was a tent.
    I knew what people thought of elves spies. that is why the dark ones viewed me as a threat. I was going to die.
    I was going to die here and now.
    Then I saw a familiar hand in white world. A world where time doesn't exist, but exist. An illusion of life and illusion of reality.
    It was my fathers hand. I hadn't seen that hand in so many years.
    Then the illussion disappeared and darkness befowled me. My eyes twittered for a moment and I smelt something familiar.
    The burned hometown of mine. The hometown no existed. I was back at square one. I was unharmed, but i was so tired.
    I closed my eyes once again not really dreaming, but drifting.

14. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Suddenly everything started happening all at once. The dark girl who had been fighting the thugs, or the DarkOnes as they were called, jumped at them from the back. And all mayhem broke loose. I lost track of all that was happening and soon found myself being attacked by the man who’d earlier called me kid. I looked down at my staff, the wand, I realised it was missing. My pulse quickened and my heart began slamming hard against my rib cage. I looked around frantically while trying to locate the wand. I found it lying at the far end of the field. I fended off the thug who had now pinned me to the ground and took off towards the wand. However I came across a dead stop as five thugs suddenly appeared in front of me. I started panicking and murmuring something. Then i realised what i was saying.

‘Oh. My. God. “ I said, cursing myself for having forgotten. I started singing the phrase.

‘live long my darling angel,
    May you have all those things..
    Live long granny’s angel,
    And i hand my wand to you.
    Live long my darling angel,
    When you sing your granny’s song,
    You call myself to you.”

One of the thugs laughed.

“Look at the ba-by,” he taunted, “ singing a lullaby”

The next moment he wasn’t. In fact next moment he lay flat on the ground as my wand flew across the distance and came to me knocking him in the process. I caught the wand and fixed it into my staff.

“Thank You Nani, “ I looked to the sky, knowing my grandmother would be there somewhere. Then looked back at the task at hand. I was suddenly angry. Very angry. Angry at them and all the people who’d taken away my elven-parents from me. So I killed.

I lashed out at the man who’d fallen on the ground with my staff and with one red flash I took his body into my possession. I reached out for his dagger and staff in one hand and dagger in the other, looked at the four thugs left.

I looked at them and saw my elven-mother’s plea as the DarkOnes closed on her when she shielded me. I looked at them and I saw them kill her ruthlessly because she was weak. And I killed. I saw them and remembered they’d killed my elven father because he had kept and raised a human childed. Namely Me...So I killed for that. I looked at them and thought of my sister somewhere and the thugs back in India who’d separated me from her, and I killed for her. I thought of revenge, revenge and revenge. For the first time in my life I killed and I killed for revenge. I slathered them, butchered all five of them to pieces, just as they done to her elven-parents. Suddenly, I stumbled as a silver flash cut through the daylight and I moved into darkness before complete white surrounded me as I entered a completely different world.

Memories started flooding back......I could not stop the tears, Momma, Papa, I worked hard on keeping my composure. It was becoming harder. The memories looked like replays. I fiercy wiped a tear that had managed to drop. Tears held no place now. Only the ache was left.

“You can cry you know,” I looked up and was shocked to see a younger me, about 2-3 years younger , coming towards the present me.

“No, I can’t.” I said, fiercly, “Crying makes me weak.”

“It does?” she said, “or does it make you even more determined?”

I looked to her, wanting to know how, she knew what had been in my mind all along, but before I could say anything, I found myself falling into the same darkness. And then there was silence.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up with a start, but to my surprise found soft covers below me, instead of the hard ground I’d expected. I looked around and then suddenly understood everything. Standing around the bed was an elf family. I looked at them and dreaded what was to come.

“Where am I?”

“Brystal,” the elf-child replied looking curiously at my charred hands.

I tried to lift my head but fell back on the pillow. The word had shocked me. I was back to where I had started. I was back.....home? And I blacked out.

15. Oasis Writer

Mission Two: The Awakening

Participants Allowed: (As of 4/23/08 | 3:10 Pacific Mountain Time)

Evan A. Del Blaine - Oasis Writer
    Drake - chad.sims2
    Adelaide Bequem – Bick
    Adrastus Aleksandr – Darkthought
    Maeith – Dropbear_OZ
    Corin Garou - Sugar N. Spice
    Laramy Swift - Ferret
    Kiva Caerygin – Titania
    Ramela Freelae – Neha
    Lucida – Leaka
    Sare – Milady

Rules:

1) You all have posted before this post. If you want to continue on, you must use each of the below guidelines. They are honestly not that hard. It’s simple. Do it like it will say below, please.

2) I will remind everyone of the post.

3) You must stay there in the town for at least three days (story time). Do not leave the town until Mission Three.

4) Complete all of the requirements. Those that fail to do so will be reminded. Those that fail to comply, post will be deleted.

5) Have fun, be creative, and show your imagination and writing skills.

If there are any questions, refer them to the Discussion thread, or to myself.

Complete all of the objectives for the TERRITORY you are currently located in. Do not stray off into other objectives in other towns.

There are five for each.

Freaval
    • There are Malnarcosus Troops everywhere. An invasion is occurring. You must find a place to hide.
    • Must have at least five lines of dialogue
    • Lose something
    • Turn and fight - Troops
    • Find hiding spot

Bystral
    • There is a mystery in the town.
    • Create a mystery (Murder, assault, something missing, finding something)
    • Create clues
    • Deduct how to solve it
    • At least ten lines of dialogue

Quelo
    • Dark Ones have returned. There are only 30 in the town. Destroy all thirty
    • Realize how effective the Military of Malnarcosus is.
    • You must find reasons to be supportive of the Miltary of Malnarcosus. (Reasons why you should not be apart of the rebellion.)
    • Have a flashback of the past
    • Include thoughts about your training (Fighting, magic, etcetera.)

Lootah
    • There are rebels that are going against the Military of Malnarcosus. You must join their ranks
    • You must find a reason to be against the Military. (Five Dialogue Lines back and forth)
    • Find familiar faces from your past (You create the character, they will not follow you through the story)
    • Find your weapon broken
    • Buy a new weapon

Malnarcosus
    • Join the Military of Malnarcosus
    • Training with other members (No named members)
    • Realize Magic doesn’t work right now (No exceptions.)
    • Murder someone (Must be innocent)
    • Explain some of your strengths (Five dialogued lines)

Jubanumo
    • Dark Ones are present (Eliminate ten of them)
    • Find weapon broken
    • Repair it in a shop
    • Make a friend (You create, does not follow you)
    • Explain some weaknesses (Five dialogued lines)

Leemaxus
    • Flashback (Fifteen dialogued lines or two paragraphs of description)
    • Train (Physically, Mentally, Emotionally, or Spiritually)
    • Realize Magic does not work right now
    • Run away from a fight
    • Pick a side to be on – Against or With the Military of Malnarcosus

Jevoo
    • Ten lines of dialogue
    • Invasion is going on from the Military of Malnarcosus
    • Turn and fight
    • Join the rebellion against the Military of Malnarcosus
    • Find family

Potornamus
    • Find dead family
    • Dark ones are present (Eliminate 5 of the 20)
    • Find a wound that you hadn’t realized before
    • Hide from the remaining dark ones
    • Lament for fallen family members

Ghjiet
    • You awake to a murder happening.
    • Battle murderer (Do not kill him)
    • Contain him until Military of Malnarcosus shows up
    • Experience an execution, committed by the Military of Malnarcosus
    • Join the rebellion.

Noempla
    • Fifteen or more dialogued lines
    • Make a friend
    • Explain past – give five strengths and three weaknesses
    • Invasion is happening. Military of Malnarcosus is eliminating threats
    • Run and hide from a fight (Joining rebellion

Haven Valley
    • Run from any immediate danger
    • Realize magic doesn’t work right now (No exceptions)
    • Acquire new weapon
    • Complete ten lines of dialogue
    • Train (Physically, Mentally, Emotionally, or Spiritually)

Kunookuo
    • Military of Malnarcosus has saved you. Show your loyalty to the Military.
    • Battle someone (Win, do not kill them)
    • Explain some of your strengths (Five dialogued lines)
    • Gain a new weapon
    Kuon Island
    • Paradise. Buy a weapon. Explain it's features
    • Battle something (Kill)
    • Explain some of your desires
    • Look for a way off the island to the mainland (No leaving yet)
    • You've been invited to join the rebellion. Neutral Area - choose if you want to be a rebel or loyalist

16. Titania

Titania New Member

------ Char Bio -------

Name: Kiva Caerygin
    Race: Human
    Birthplace: Noempla
    Eyes: green (peridot)
    Hair: straight and black, bangs which slant – longer on the right than on the left (from her perspective). Fairly long in the back.
    Height: 5 feet (1.524 meters)
    Weight: average
    Family:
    * Parents: her mother died shortly after giving birth, and her father is the town drunk. She was raised by a local couple.
    * Siblings: none
    * Genealogical Descendants (Same DNA): none
    * Spouse: none
    * Descendants: none

Attire: long, light green pleated skirt, a short-sleeved, cream cotton shirt, and a black bodice with a large peridot at the center. Lots of jewelry.
    Weapon of Choice (Max of two): If the occasion called for it, she’d use whatever blunt object was nearby, or her fists (despite her seeming obsession with jewelry, she was quite the tomboy when she was younger). She doesn’t carry a specific weapon.
    Weapon Description: n/a, see above
    Notable Powers (Max of two): She uses the jewels in the array of jewelry she wears to do various small magics – moving small objects without touching them, etc. As far as non-magic abilities, she has learned some useful first aid skills (enough to know how to help stabilize and bandage Evan, for instance).
    Description: Grew up in a fairly small town in Noempla, where she has spent her whole life. Although her knowledge is limited by this upbringing, she is very bright and inquisitive about the outside world. She is, however, prone to bouts of shyness, though she combats / disguises this with the eccentric nature of her dress (ie the jewelry and pretty clothes) and often by acting far more outgoing than she is.

------ First Post --------

A hysterical giggle escaped my lips before I could stop it. The whole situation had been so surreal. I had been walking in the street on a day like any other. It had happened so fast: seeing a body lying in the street, rushing over to see what had happened, finding the strange warrior, his body twisted at odd angles and his right eye a bloody mess. No one else had been nearby. I had carried him as well as I could to the tavern, where Anna had helped me put him upstairs in an extra room. I had hoped that when he awoke he could explain who he was and how he had come to our town in such a state; but he had seemed almost as confused as I was.

He stirred, moaning slightly. He looked in such pain. My hand went to the sapphire at my throat. No. I had used that stone already, helping Thom Hansen down at the general store with his garden. It wouldn’t be ready for two more days, when the full moon came round again. I steadied myself with the thought, trying to relax. I was no use to him panicked. I didn’t know how the sapphire would work on a human anyway, only that it seemed to calm and nourish other living things. Maybe the peridot? No. I couldn’t risk it. I pushed my mind away from that memory. That wouldn’t happen again.

I watched him from the shadows, letting the warmth of the candlelight flicker over me in its soothing dance. I had dreamed of adventure, once. Now that it seemed to have landed, literally, in my life, I wasn’t sure what to do. The man was strange in more ways than one. I had never seen a man with long hair before, and his was an odd color, unnervingly white. I had never seen a man who carried a sword up close before. I glanced over at where his sword rested, leaning against a bookcase next to the strange man’s bed. The metal had been so cold in my hands when I had taken it from him. Common sense told me I should be afraid. And yet – he had seemed kind.

I stepped closer to him again. He had fallen asleep, which was for the best. His body, which had once obviously possessed the strength and toned precision of a warrior, was badly beaten. I grimaced, remembering the complicated network of cuts and bruises criss-crossing his chest, visible to me when I had brought him in and covered now by all the bandages I could find. How could he have received such wounds?

I wondered if he had a family. He had asked about ‘everyone else’ with such fear and concern in his one remaining eye. Should I have checked the rest of the town for other strangers fallen from the sky? What if they were even more seriously injured than he?

A crashing sound from downstairs startled me out of my reverie and I jumped, turning around to face the doorway just as Anna ran in. The older woman’s hair was in even more disarray than usual, her eyes more frightened than I had ever seen them. “Kiva, what do you know about this man? You brought him into our home. What do you know about him?”

“Nothing. I just found him. He was wounded, Anna, I couldn’t leave him in the street-“

“Do you trust him?” She demanded.

More noise was coming from downstairs. I thought I heard a scream. “Anna, what’s happening?”

“The military is here,” she said. I stared at her, my mind working quickly. Did they know something about him? Would we have to fight? A bit dreamily, I turned, picking up his sword. Anna touched my arm. “They’re tearing the tavern apart. I’ve asked them why, but they won’t say. If they’re after him…” her gaze flickered to him, then back to me again.

“Yes.” I looked at his face, expressionless in sleep. “Yes, I trust him.” My arm ached from trying to hold onto his sword. I had played with wooden swords occasionally as a child, but I stood no chance against someone who really knew what they were doing, and I was weak from a lack of sleep. I wasn’t sure if he could even stand, but we needed his help. If nothing else, we needed to get him out of here. I almost shook him awake, but hesitated, uncertain if that would aggravate his wounds. The sounds from below grew louder and louder, matching the cacophony of my terrified heart.

Biting my lip and hoping he would forgive me, I slapped him in the face.

1 person likes this.
  17. Milady

Milady Active Member

The Bad Ones got her. That's all Sare knew. The air was thick with them again. Evan, Adelaide, and the others were all fighting, and Sare unsheathed her dagger again, still atop Evan's shoulders.

Evan seemed to notice her at last, and set her on the ground, shoving her roughly toward the forest and the strange elf-man. The Bad Ones closed in on him, covering him like a blanket or an evil maelstrom.

The elf was immobile, and Sare didn't feel like learning his name. She held out her dagger, nicked blade flashing in the dim light, and charged the nearest mass of Bad Ones.

Amazingly she made contact. She tugged the blade up, slicing through the ethereal matter that counted as flesh for the demonic monsters. Hands ripped at her hair, claws tore her skin and yet she seemed almost as intangible as her opponents. Nothing hurt her so much that she could not fight. And fight she did.

She no longer cared what happened to the monsters she cut. Whether they lived or died, fell to the ground injured or went on to hurt one of her friends, she no longer stopped to see. All she was conscious of was the need, the overwhelming urge, to kill.

Even if her prey were already undead.

There was a momentary pause. An eye to the storm. Sare took a deep breath and turned to look for any of the others.

Instead, she saw a silver flash. Something akin to black light ebbed out of nowhere and everywhere, clouding her vision and eventually enveloping her. And then it all went white.

Sare found herself as whole and corporeal as possible, but she couldn't be alive because she was standing on nothing. In fact, that was all she could see. Nothing.

"Hello?" she said into the light-ness, listening to the echo of her own voice, "Anybody there?"

Yes.

Sare jumped at the voice. It seemed to a whisper coming from over her shoulder, but when she turned around, no one was there. "Who are you?"

There was nothingness silence for another eternity, then the voice whispered again, You are a child, Sare. A silly, stupid child.

"Hey!" Sare reached hostilely for her dagger, but discovered it missing.

Miss it? How could you dare to use it, you ingrate? Did you ever thank your father for giving his ancestor's blade to you?

It was Sare's turn to be silent.

Say, where are your parents? You left them, didn't you. Left them to become snacks for the Bad Ones. They weren't even your parents, you know that? And yet they treated you like their only child. You abandoned them.

Tears glistened on Sare's cheek. "I'm only human."

A cold laughter filled the nothingness, making it expand and contract simultaneously. You're no more human than the Dark Ones, Sare. In fact, you have more in common with them than you know.

Something shifted, and suddenly the nothingness spiraled out of view. Things grew dark and light, heavier and lighter, and in the midst of it all Sare could still hear the voice: See you around, Sare-child. I'll be close.

Sare woke to the smudged, grinning face of a strange young man.

"Lookee here, then, Karell! The Poppet's awake!"

Nearby, another voice answered, "I don't think she's feeling too well. Perhaps she should sleep. Meanwhile, I'll go ask around. Maybe somebody lost her."

Sleep. That sounded good to Sare. She stretched a little under the sack cloth someone had put over her and closed her eyes.

Then opened them. She realized she was Elsewhere. Else-when. For one thing, it was daylight. And she was in the middle of a field, far from either the forest or the city of Greava.

"Where'm I?" she slurred.

The first speaker looked at her oddly, and, still grinning, replied, "Kunookuo, Poppet. In the middle of a war."

She nodded amicably, then lay back again. She slept.

18. Oasis Writer

I was falling in my dreams. My past was lies. I had killed men that were guilty, men that were innocent, and women and children because I was told to. I had done things that were unforgivable by every law made up in Malnarcosus and gotten away with it because they were the ones that told me. What had happened?

I knew in my heart.

My defection.

The first time I killed a child, I was permanently stained with the image of those blue eyes staring into my red ones. The pain of seeing those eyes search my soul as I stabbed him through his tiny chest made me feel like I was a devil, himself. I probably was. I had decapitated little girls with long blonde and brown hair. I had torn through orphanages looking for someone the Military had wanted, just to burn it down with living children on the inside.

Until I left.

I left the army, knowing all of their secrets, all of their weaknesses, and all of their plans. I left as the best, and was attacked by the second bests, just to be found in Greava, without my memory. I had too many strengths for them to just overpass me. I was impeccable with my swordsmanship, I had qualities of a leader, was a great strategist, perfect form for espionage and used to be emotionally hardened with killing. I was the perfect assassin.

I had flaws though. Flaws only the Military had known. I could not perform any magic. I was utterly useless when it came down to fighting a mage’s fight. I could not shoot, at all. Bows and arrows never associated themselves with me, because I had a tendency to break them. I was shy. I was quiet. I was not much of a team person.

One on one, I was almost unbeatable. One on one hundred, I hadn’t a chance in the world.

I could remember almost all of it.

I was aware of it now. Something felt different, being in this place. I didn’t know where it was, but it brought back memories. Memories of something I had once lost.

I could hear noise from below me, though I had no idea what was going on. I couldn’t care. I was tired. I needed rest. I needed….

A smack across the face?

The immediate pain on my check brought me out of my slumber. I shifted up in bed, breathless, pain-filled, and disoriented like crazy. I looked to my left to see two girls in the room, both scared. Not exactly the fantasy you want to wake up to.

For some reason, I felt as if I was supposed to like it. It was awkward, and I was still very tired, so I quickly forgot that thought.

The girl nearest me was wearing a lot of jewelry. She had a facial tone of complete fright. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I knew something was happening that would probably make me have to fight. My body ached at the thought.

"Wha...." I started, reaching for my cheek, just to have a sharp pain in my arm stop me. "What's going-"

She was trying to act calm, but any simpleton could see she was extremely frightened. She put her hand on my arm.

“I’m sorry for waking you up this way.” She stopped, looking back at the door towards the other girl and then back at me. “The military is here. Is there any reason they might be after you?”

It didn’t feel like she was asking me a question, but I treated it like one. I sighed, nodded, and tried to stand. The pain in my body was immense. As I sat up, I noticed how crushed in my chest really felt, and I noticed how many bandages were really on. I had a bandage across my stomach, and parts of my chest, as well as my thigh and calf. I then began to blush.

Where were my pants?!

This wasn’t the time to argue with her about saving my life, but I couldn’t be caught by them right now. They would kill me on sight, and probably these women as well.

“Where is my attire?”

I noticed she was holding my sword, but now she was blushing, and giggling. It was rather cute, but I could hit on her later. I had to put on my clothes. She reached for the bed stand quickly where they had been neatly folded on the table, and pulled them to me.

“I washed them,” her expression was guilty, as if she felt she shouldn’t have taken off my clothing. “I have your sword also, though I’m not certain you’re strong enough yet to...”

I stopped listening. My pants were perfectly folded. No bulges. I didn’t have a lot of breath, but I did have enough anger to snap at her.

“My pendants! My book! My photo! Where are they!” I wasn’t asking. I needed them more than I needed clothing .I could run away from the military nude if I wanted, but I needed those items.

I went to pull myself up, but she stood faster than I could, quickly answering me.

“We really don’t have time for this. You need to calm down. Please.” She gave me a pleading look. “I’m sorry if I upset you by taking your things. They’re right here.” She walked to the bookshelf and grabbed my belongings.

She moved quickly back to hand them to me. I looked at each with a quick glance and then moved for my pants. She was kind enough to help me. As she worked, I felt obligated to apologize. She didn’t know what they meant to me. She merely was helping.

“I’m sorry…” I said quietly as I grabbed my shirt and set it on my shoulders. I would put it on later. “I didn’t mean to snap.”

She smiled. “It’s alright.” She turned backwards to look nervously at the door again. “We need to find a way out of here.”

She got to where my pants were at my thighs. Her head was rather close to my legs, too close for a first time meeting her. I coughed, seeing that she had been blushing. She looked away several times. Her friend by the door merely snickered before looking out the door to make sure they weren’t coming this way yet. For some reason, we were getting a lot more time than usual.

They should have been up here by now.

“What’s your name, by the way?” I asked as she handed me my sword. I used it as a crutch on my bad leg and had her help me with the other side.

“Kiva Caerygin,” she said with a sweet tone in her voice.

It was a beautiful name. Her last name sounded like carry-gan. I smiled. For some reason, I couldn’t hold it in.

“Sounds like a sexy kiwi.”

That may have been a bad response. She blushed, or made a face of anger...to be honest, I couldn't quiet tell. I quickly added, "My name is Evan Del Blaine.”

She responded with, “Nice to meet you,” quickly looking elsewhere for an exit.

I did the same. I found a window by the eastern wall. It was a long shot, since we were two stories up, but it was the only way out without being caught.

I started pulling her towards the window with all my strength, confusing her at first. I don’t think she was expecting me to have that much strength left in me.

“Well, I see an exit right here. Think it will work, you two?”

Her friend sighed, making her way to the window faster than Kiva and I were. Once we made it to the window, I looked at Kiva.

“Friends?”

She smiled at me. “Friends.” I moved towards the window and stopped.

“Wait.” She said. “If we’re going to do this, at least let me soften the landing.” She gripped an amethyst bracelet on her left hand and closed her eyes for a moment, then opened them again, holding onto me for support. She was almost weaker than I was.

Kiva looked up at me. “Okay. I’m ready if you are.”

I looked at the other girl. She shook her head and stepped back. “They already saw me. I’m not going anywhere. It’ll be suspicious if I’m gone. Go. I’ll say you were never here.”

“Okay,” I said.

Kiva looked as if about to protest. “Anna…” She gave the other woman a hug. “Goodbye.”

Kiva’s friend gave me a boost over the ledge, and then helped Kiva over as well. “Be safe, you two.” She said to us, shutting the window as we turned and made our way to the ledge of the roof.

19. Terra Valentine

Again, sorry for my absence.

They were all around us; snarling, grinning. It all happened at once. The Dark Ones charged us and our...team, I guess, charged back. It was all a blur (that was saying a lot for me). I didn't think, I just responded. Three Dark Ones targetted me at once. I leapt into them, easily ripping them to pieces and throwing their limbs from me. They quickly turned to ash. Another Dark One sprung from behind a tree. My muscular, pale arm gripped its throat, halting it inches from me, and squeezed. It dissolved to ash in my hand.

I saw Evan out of the corner of my eye. He didn't seem to be struggling, but I still felt like I needed to protect him somehow. I turned for him, when another Dark One appeared in my path. I reached out to take it by the throat as well. The flash of silver caught me off guard. I blinked and immeidately it dissolved into a black abyss. I seemed to be falling, no! swirling into the nothingness. I wanted to open my eyes. I wanted to see that Evan had survived. I forced my eyes open.

There was a liquid wall of white surrounding me on all sides. I sat up...I think. I wasn't sure if I was really moving.

Good work back there... A voice said. I turned calmly to see who was also in my presence. There was no one.

"Who's there?" I asked. Maybe I was blinded, though I imagined it would have been black, not white.

Does it matter? I'm here because you want me to be.

"I don't recall asking for an audience." I growled. I could feel the grimace in the next words the voice spoke.

This is just like you. Always pushing everyone away. Why do you think Ideaya left you? I was pissed now.

"Don't speak of Ideaya to me." I snarled. I felt a trickle of blood escape my eye.

And why not? It's just like you. She loved you, and still you left. Still you told her to turn away.

"It wasn't safe!" I snapped. "She was always in constant danger around me!"

She loved you. That didn't matter to her. The voice faded away to be replaced with the battle scene. The sky was a dark red, like the sky had been filled with ashes. I saw the Dark Ones fighting with my teammates. Good against evil. White against black. But... if my teammates were white, why was I in black? I wasn't a Dark One. Not anymore... My teammates eyes were wide in fear as they fought to keep their eyes. I tried to help, offering my aid to them, but when I got close they would swing at me rage reflecting into me. Even Evan. His beautiful red eyes that were like mine when I was thirsty. Even those eyes who I admired were filled with obvious hate for me. I moaned.

"I think she's waking up." Someone said. I felt a lump on my back. My eyes flickered opened to what looked like an inn. Perhaps a room above the bar. I leaned up cautiously.

"Where am I?" I asked slowly, my words slurred. The barkeep laughed a full, hearty laugh.

"You're on Kuon Island, m'dear." He came to my side and sat. "We was wonderin' when you were gonna come to. You was moanin' in yer sleep, you was. I was 'bout half-tempted to slap you awake with the things you was sayin'." He smiled a friendly smile. I groaned. My stomach hurt and my throat ached, but I had no injuries. Quick healing was a beautiful vampire art. I yawned. "You should get some sleep, you should." The barkeep said and he gently pushed me back onto the bed. I nodded lightly and fell back against the hard cot. I drifted easily into a dreamless sleep.

I sat at the bar, a cool glass in my hand. I used it only for a prop. I didn't drink anything else. I didn't know how much time had passed; days, weeks, months. Hell, maybe even years. The time passed faster for me what with having eternity and all.

(I'll post more later!)

20. Bick

Bick New Member

Challenge 2 Part1

I yelled in pain as I was jostled awake by a kick to the face. I quickly rolled over, grabbing my dagger from its place. I got into a fighting stance, one foot in front of the other, wings slightly out, hands just in front of my face. The man’s face was covered by a black scarf, that was also wrapped around his head. He wore a thin, loosely fitted black top and bottom.

“Get the other two!” He yelled, not taking his eyes from me. His eyes narrowed, and he pulled out a long curved sword. It glinted in the sun, causing me to flinch. My eyes closed only for a second but he took this to his advantage. He jumped at me, bringing his sword down with immense strength. My eyes opened just in time for me to react. I dropped to the left and rolled over, lunging myself back onto my feet. I kicked onto his side, only to have him grab my foot, thrusting me back onto the ground. I yelled out in pain, as I fell upon a thorny bush; My wings taking most of the impact. I painfully rolled out the bush, dropping my dagger in the process, as his sword came down on the spot I had been at seconds earlier.

It was then that I heard a distant scream of a child. I yelled in frustration, and leaped onto the man’s back. My nails dug into his eyes and he screamed in agony, shoving me off his back. The man fell blindly on the ground whimpering to himself, his hands over his bleeding eyes. I quickly picked up a large stick, knocking the man in the head with all my strength. Abruptly his whimpering stopped and he became motionless, his chest still rising with every breath.

I quickly scavenged my dagger from the thorn bush, my heart racing. I quickly took flight, ignoring the pang in my wings. I could hear crying and the shouting of a man as I flew northwest. It was then that I spotted a man that looked much like the one I had just dealt with. I quickly grabbed my bow, placing an arrow in it’s proper place, and took aim at the man’s heart. It shot with a twang at mach speed, hitting him right where the heart belonged. He fell without a chance to even make a sound. I quickly flew down, landing silently.

“Kid! Lady!” I screamed, my heart racing. It was then that I heard a gulping cry. I ran towards the noise, peaking through a small shrub. My heart sank as I saw the boy with his head laying on the bloody body of the old woman. I sprinted around the bush with my heart pounding faster then it should have been. I kneeled down on the old woman’s other side. Her chest rose slowly, and her hand twitched. Her stomach was red with blood, and just below her heart was a dagger. She had no chance of survival.

“Ma!” the boy cried, lifting his head and placing his tiny hand in hers.

The woman’s eyes opened, and she forced out a smile.

“Nathaniel.” She said, placing her other hand shakily onto his face. The woman began to sob. I could feel the tears trickle down my own face. She pulled Nathaniel into a hug, and stayed like that for quite a few minutes. She kissed him on the head, and finally let him go.

“Young lady.” She said, turning her head in my direction, “I saved your life. Now I need you to save my boys.” I grabbed her hand, rubbing the back of it. I paused.

“Of course.” I said, not knowing what exactly she meant.

“I can’t expect you to take care of him,” She said, her voice slowly weakening, “But could you look in your heart, and find him a home?” She lay her head down, and closed her eyes, the tears still falling freely.

“My name is Odell.” She said, a small smile slipping from her tired face. “This is Nathaniel. He has nobody but me.” My hands trembled, as I wrapped both my hands around hers.

“I’ll take care of him.” I cried, “I promise you Odell. I’ll never leave him.” I rested my head on our connecting hands, tears rushing down my face.

“Nathaniel.” Said Odell in barely a whisper, “I love you darling.”
    Suddenly her hand went limp, and her chest stopped rising. I sobbed, and looked up at the motionless face of the old woman. I gently placed her hand on the ground, and closed her eyelids.

The boy lay on her body, crying in huge gulps. My heart became heavy at the site, and I walked over to him. I lifted him up, and held him in my arms. He snuggled into my chest, holding tight onto my shirt. He cried, and I gently rocked him back and forth. I rested my chin on his head, and hummed a gentle tune.

It was then that I heard ruffling in the bushes from behind. I reached for my dagger, only to feel a sharp, deep cut as a blade sunk into my shoulder. I screamed, dropping the boy and falling to the side. I quickly grabbed my dagger, my hand shaking. I looked up, the man staring at me with hate. I gasped as I saw the arrow sticking from his chest.

“You may have wounded me, but you certainly didn’t kill me.” The man growled, lunging at me with his sword. I quickly moved, as the blade barely missed me. The anger in me grew immensely as I stumbled over Odell’s corpse. He had murdered her. I would avenge her, but I wouldn’t kill him. I would give him and his little buddy to the authorities, the best vengeance I could think of.

I quickly shot up, using my wings to give me altitude, and came upon him at full force. He fell with a thud, yelling in pain as I dug the arrow deeper into his chest. I quickly took advantage of his fall, and kicked him with all my strength on the chin. He yelped, and fell unconscious. I lay next to his body, breathing heavily, my shoulder throbbing painfully.

The boy quickly ran to me, hugging my neck. I lifted him up into my arms, and took flight.
    “Lets get you to safety.” I said, as he nuzzled into my hurt shoulder, and I winced. He looked at me with his huge blue eyes, and my heart became like butter. I patted him on the head, and headed in the direction of camp.

------------------------------​

The fire burned, emitting a homely light around the camp. The sunrise came as I strung the wild potatoes over the fire. The smell was wonderful, as the various wild herbs cooked into the scorching potato. I shivered, the morning still cool from the night. I folded my wings, and placed my cloak back on

I smiled as I looked at Nathaniel. His beautiful blue eyes beaming as he stared into the sky. He had finally stopped crying, but his silence meant nothing good. His hair was light brown and messy, and his pale skin dirty from the previous days troubles. He turned his gaze to me, those blue eyes showing their sadness.

“Addy,” he said, getting up for a stretch, “When will the breakfast be done?”

I got up and ruffled his hair, “Soon enough.”

He went to the pile of wood, tossing more kindle in the blaze. I pitied him, but at the same time I admired him. It had been less then 9 hours since he had lost his mother, yet here he was being so strong. I sighed. To remember how it felt to be a child, so versatile.

My mind went to the hours after his mother had died. I had first gotten rope, tying the two bandits to a tree not too close, but not too far away from the camp. Next, I had brought the body of Odell closer to camp, placing her blanket over her. I hadn’t let the boy see what I had done, of course. It had been difficult calming him down enough to get him to rest, but he eventually fell into a slumber. He really was a strong willed kid.

Suddenly I heard a small pop, and the escape of steam. I looked over at the fire. A chunk of one of the potatoes had blown off. Nathaniel walked over, reaching for the potato.
    “Natty, no!” I yelled, quickly running over. His eyes became watery, and h
    is head hung low.

“No.” I said, lifting up his chin with my hand, “I just didn’t want you to burn yourself you silly!” I smiled, and aimed for his ticklish spot. He laughed, and dodged me. Ifrowned as I saw the sadness reach his eyes once more.

I turned away, not wanting him to see my watery eyes. I grabbed the stick holding the potatoes, and slid the biggest one onto a small piece of leather, handing it to him.

“Let it cool off first.” I said, as I sliced it up for him.

I pulled the last potato onto another piece of leather, when I suddenly heard the crack of a twig. My head shot in the direction of the noise, and I quickly dropped the potato, grabbing my bow and arming it.

“Who’s there?” I growled. Nathan quickly clung to my shirt, hiding behind me.

Suddenly many faces came into view, surrounding us on every side. I gasped.
    “We are soldiers in the Military of Malnarcosus.” Said a deep, authoritative voice. I turned around and came face to face with a very tall, dark-skinned man.

“Uhm, did I do something wrong?” I asked, backing away from the man just slightly.

“We had reports of bandits in this area.” The man said, looking at the struggling men that I had tied to the tree, “It seems you’ve caught them for us.” He gave a weak smile, and motioned for his men to get the bandits.

“Yes, but they killed one of our party… before I could do anything.” I said looking down in shame, “There were only two, sir. No more. I wasn’t fast enough.” The man frowned, and snapped his fingers getting my attention back. I quickly looked up.

“Young lady, these men killed hundreds of innocent travelers all around Malnarcosus, you did a great deed today.” He turned around, looking at the men that were now chained by the soldiers.

“Come with us to town. We’ll see to it that these men are hung by the end of this week. You can be there, if you’d like.” The men started marching forward, but the man stayed back.

“Get your things, we’ll get you a room in the local tavern.” He said, stepping out of my way. I quickly grabbed Nathaniel’s hand, pulling him in front of me.

“Grab your things.” I whispered into his ear, letting go of hand. I walked over to my satchel, placing a few of Odell’s pans into it, making it much heavier then usual. I placed the various herbs I had collected in the front pocket.

“Sir,” I said looking in the mans direction, “Odell, the woman that was killed, what will you do with her body?”

“I’ve already got my men taking care of that, do you want to say goodbye?” he said, stepping towards me.

“No, I think we did enough of that last night.”

I turned around, placing my satchel back on my shoulder, and my bow on the other. My dagger hung limply from my belt.

“Are you ready?” I smiled, looking over at Nathaniel.
    “Yes Addy.” He said, pulling his pack onto his back. In his hand was his potato, and he slowly munched on it.

“Ready to go then?” asked the Soldier, kicking dirty onto the fire, and stomping it out.

“Yes, we are.” I said, grabbing onto Nathaniel’s hand, “Let’s go to town.”

21. Milady

Milady Active Member

First part of Mission Two

Sare was awake, but she didn’t feel like getting up. The sun streamed through the rips in the sackcloth that covered her. It was a stronger daylight than before. Sare assumed she’d slept through the night.

“Should we wake her up?” Sare recognized the tentative voice of the man who’d been identified as Karell. She realized she didn’t know what he looked like. And since he was the only one she knew by name, it might be a good place to start.

Sare sat up. Karell turned out to be a gangly man with a clumsy face, bordered by sandy straw hair. The Grinning Man from before sat beside him. “Ah, there’s our Poppet. You know, I’m thinking of keeping her.”

“I don’t believe the officers would like that, Darren,” Karell said.

“Why? Do you think she’s the daughter of some Rebel swine?”

“I don’t know. Look at her. Doesn’t she look like a little vagabond?”

Darren turned his smiling eyes on Sare and scrutinized her. “She does look a little rough. How old are you, Poppet?”

“Sixteen,” she lied. Darren’s lips twitched. “Fourteen?” she said, weaker. Something in Darren’s eyes said he didn’t believe her, but he let it pass.

“Well, my dear, are you a little rebel?”

She was beginning to get a grasp on the situation. She coughed a little and said, “M’loyal.”

“Uh-huh,” Darren said. “Well, if you’re loyal to the Military, that must mean you’re loyal to your commanding officers. Now if I told you to waste the big lug over there—” he gestured at Karell’s brooding countenance, “Would you do it?”

Sare examined the tall man. He was kneeling just inside the ragged tent Sare had awakened by, his arms at his sides. He looked clumsy. Sare figured she’d be quicker than he.

She pulled herself to her knees and reached for her dagger. It wasn’t there. The stupid voice had really taken it! She gave the area near the tent a once-over. Her eyes found a quiver of arrows. Grabbing one, she bunched herself up into a crouch and charged towards Karell, holding it like a spear in front of her.

“Whoa there!” Darren said, catching her wrist. “Good enough, Poppet. Well, Karell? Isn’t she just the regular little trooper? Aw, c’mon. Even if she is a rebel, there’s not much she could do alone, eh?” Then, taking a comical stance like that of a beseeching child, he said, “So can I keep her? Pleeease?”

Karell broke into a grin. “I guess. But she can’t come with us to training. And this ol’ tent is nowhere near enough fun for a youngling like her.”

“She can wander around the camp, can’t she?”

“I suppose… but she’ll need to keep away from the pleasure tent. Guys might get the wrong idea around there. Here, Poppet,” he said, using Darren’s term, “I’ve got something for you.”

He reached into the tent behind him and produced a spear, almost as tall as Sare herself. The end seemed to be some sort of iridescent metal. “This is a traveler’s spear. It has a bit of magic to it, see?” He held it out, balanced on one of his long hands, and it pivoted til its point aimed to the left of the rising sun. North. “Now watch,” Karell said. He stood up and walked several yards away so that he stood pointing north, his back to them. “To the tent.” The spear jerked around, still barely balanced, and pointed directly back to the tent.

“If you can visualize where you want to go, it will point you toward it. Figure it might come in useful around camp. Plus, you’ll be armed.” Karell strode back to the tent and handed it to Sare, before making motions to go.

“Thanks,” Sare said.

“It’s nothing. Just a bit of show-magic. I’ve got a sharper one somewhere,” Karell said offhand. “Come on, Darren.”

“But before we go, Poppet,” Darren said, “Where are you from?”

Sare thought about it. Should she answer Haven Valley? She remembered what the Voice had said. Did she really come from anywhere?

“I don’t know where I come from,” she said, “but the last place I was…was Greava.”

Karell blinked. “How’d you get across the Valley by yourself?”

So was that where she was? Across the valley? How was she supposed to get back to Evan and the others if she didn’t dare step foot where the Bad Ones now dwelled? “I’m just lucky, I guess.”

“Lucky? That doesn’t begin to cover it, wonder girl.”

“Come on, Darren,” Karell said impatiently, but his companion didn’t budge.

“Hey, you want to go back there, don’t you? I hear we’re moving out in three days, headed that way.” Karell had him by the arm now. “Just stay out of trouble, Poppet. You hear?”

Sare did. Three days, eh? She might not have that long. As soon as her rescuers were out of sight, she held up the spear and visualized the little town in Greava. The forest. The pub. The smoldering pile of bodies.

“To Greava,” she whispered. “To Evan and Adelaide and Drake and—”

The shaft of the spear twisted and whirled, back and forth. The point couldn’t seem to make up its mind. Which way to turn? Suddenly the whole weapon pitched forward, the metal tip burying itself in the dirt.

No magic.

It was going to be a long three days.

---

• Military of Malnarcosus has saved you. Show your loyalty to the Military.
    • Battle someone (Win, do not kill them)
    • Gain a new weapon

22. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

I was awoken by a swift kick to the side, and curled up grasping my side hardly even noticing that my hands had been unbound. “Get up ya lazy mutt.” Said a man I had never seen before. “It’s off to the market for you.”

I slowly got up, my left shoulder still throbbing and my chest burning with fresh and old pain. “Good to see you keep all your merchandise in such fine condition.” I groaned and I only noticed the hard medal rod in his hands when it struck my on the back. “AHHHH”

“Shut up.” He said nonchalantly as if this was a regular part of his life, and I assumed it was. He shoved me out the tent and I was greeted by the strong wind and sharp sand. My eyes half closed he pushed me on towards the out skirts of the small camp and into the even smaller town that it was next to. The walk to the center from the tent only took a minute at most. The houses where light tan colored, made from mud bricks, and most lacked windows of any kind.

When I got there I noticed that there where only five of us, all below the age of 14, and older than 8. He walked me up to the rest of them who where being watched by what I could best label as their handlers, and shoved me in line next to a taller boy. The boy glanced over at me and gave me a weak smile, I ignored him and quickly glanced around the small towns central square. No statues to me seen. I was about to give up and wait for a better chance to escape when I noticed a small gargoyle that sat near the big house. It was only about a foot tall but it’d do for a distraction.

My handler stood behind me and waited, but I didn’t, I swung backwards straight between his legs catching him right in the soft spot and took off running just in time to hear the swish of the rod missing my head by inches. I aimed for the gargoyle, legs pumping, concentrating on forcing my magic out of my center and into my right arm as I stretched it out. My chest throbbing, my mind faintly registered that something was wrong with the magic, it felt think, to me, tainted. I pushed the thought from my mind and touched the statue…. Nothing happened.

“Why you little worthless piece of trash!” I heard and turned to see the man standing their, one hand on his groin, the other with the rod raised high. I was trapped between him and the wall, nothing to do but to survive this beating and hope that next time my escape worked. The rod descended towards like a flash but I felt no pain, only registered a resounding SLAP, and glanced up to see a powerful hand hold the top of the rod.

“That’ll be quiet enough.” Said the new man to my handler, he pushed the rod and the man back up and away from me and then announced when my handler opened his mouth. “I’ll take this one.”

“But sir, let me punish him for his acts before you take him, it’ll make him more inclined to obey your wishes.”

“I said that I’ll take this one.” He said softly but his hand moved to the katana strapped to his side to insure that the argument was over, the handler closed his mouth and walked away. That was when the man finally turned to me and I got my first look at him. 6ft tall, probably around 190 lbs. He was wearing a silk shirt and pants, that appeared to be worth more than the house. His face was angular and strong, his nose a bit to large but seemed to add to his authority. His hair was brown, cut vary short, and his eyes a deep blue.

“I’m… I’m no one’s slave!” I said defiantly and to my surprise he gave me a small grin.

“Of course not, if you where a slave I would have let that man beat you,” He said gently, “the moment you made the attempt to escape you where free form that moment, your refusal to be a slave is what makes you free, weather chained or bound, you are your own.” He said and motioned for me to head towards the house as a different man came up to him. I headed for the house and glanced back to see some coins exchanged for me and then disappeared though the thin door.

The inside was surprisingly big, and clean, compared to the dusty outside, but I don’t think any amount of cleaning could make a building look good out there. The floors where tile, the walls where smooth and looked white instead of the yellowish color it had seemed outside. The walls, adorned with paintings, lanterns, and weapons. I walked slowly to a rake of weapons he had set up against the inner wall and marveled at the quality of the weapons.

“Pick one.” Came the man’s voice from behind me. I couldn’t wait I reached out carefully for a Katana. It had a black sheath, and handle, with little pearls up the handle. I picked it up and was surprised by the weight.

“You’re going to want to take the Wakisashi too, it’s a set and they get upset when apart.” He said and I leaned the weapon on the ground and against my chest as I grabbed for the Short sword, it looked the same as the Katana but felt more comfortable in my hands.

“Get upset?” I asked and he nodded.

“I got that set a long time ago, legend has it that two lovers both killed themselves with though swords while casting a spell to seal their souls into the blades for eternity so that they would never be apart.” He said and I marveled at how an old sword could look so young. He grinned at me as I smiled at the swords. “We start training tomorrow morning.” He said and then answered my question before I could ask it. “Your payment for the swords and being saved will be to allow me to give you some training. We start at dawn, I’ll wake you.” He said and motioned for me to follow him down a short hallway to a door. “This is your room while you’re here, If you need anything I’m two doors further down on the left.” He said and then left.

I opened the door slowly and gasped at the beautiful silk sheets, and huge blanket that where on the bed, and the painting of some knight hung over it. Besides from that it just had a bland dresser but the bed was plenty. I ran to it and jumped on, and was asleep before I knew what happened, my new swords grasped tight against me, and a smile on my face.

23. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    Enter the Priest

My head was about to fall off my shoulders. I coughed violently for a moment before raising my head to face the dawn. It was everything that dawn should be: bright, shiny, full of color—in other words, everything that you shouldn’t mix a hangover with. It took a few minutes, but I eventually figured out I was lying in a gutter. Great; my back was going to set my sternum on fire when I stood up, assuming I was able to right myself In the first place. I wasn’t known for my motor skills to begin with, coupled with what was fast becoming the hang-over of God… I didn’t even want to think about at the time.

“Whoa—crap. You felling okay there, Father?”

I looked up to see a very confused, very young, face looking down at me in utter bewilderment that a man with a title such as myself was to be found in such a tawdry location.

“Never been better,” I remarked, taking his extended hand. Once firmly righted on the ground, I took a closer look at the young man—‘Young Man,’ I thought. ‘You’re barely a day passed 27.’

I guess my face in some way betrayed that musing, because the young man again asked, “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Yeah. Just had a bit of a mishap last. I was, ahh--“ My words fell flat as my head and body swooned in two different directions: an obvious enough sign in itself. The fact that I landed on the hand I was using only moments before to massage my aching skull did little to aide in my excuse, I was sure. He again extended his hand, and I grudgingly again used it to right myself.

We stood for a moment, looking at each other. His eyes seemed to convey the most human mixtures of pity and honest anger. Perhaps he thought I was mocking his god. He opened his mouth, intent on commenting on my sorry state, and I was made keenly aware that we were in the middle of one of the busiest streets in all of the capital city, and thus, one of the most populous of all the word. It would only make sense that he would’ve said something while I was pondering the faces of those in the street, not particularly caring if any of them thought one way about me or the other. It was the familiar faces that I came to fear: the ones that knew my name, and my shame. There was something entirely viral about being judged by some one who knew your soul that made it so much more unbearable than the split-second, all most eternal opinions that were formed so often by complete strangers.

A funny sin for a priest, I wagered. Pride could be more damaging to a man of God then it could be for a king or general, that much I knew for certain.

I was brought back violently to the present, my thoughts left to wither and die in the wastes of my mind, as the “young man” threw a glass of ice cold water into my face. And by “a glass”, I meant the whole apparatus: water and holder alike. At that point in my life, it was abundantly clear that the physical pain of such events was a mere shade when compared to the emotional stab that came with an expression of just such a nature.

“Bastard,” was his only caustic remark before setting off into the wilderness of the street. It took a few moments more before the crowd dispersed and I left in the company of those who knew no more than my face.

There then came a bludgeoning crescendo of sound, bouncing in and out every inlet marker shop and protruding. Damned church bells. I was a little more than surprised to feel a friendly hand on my shoulder; I could recognize a ring that big and obnoxious anywhere.
    “Bastard? You haven’t changed a bit, have you?”

Turning to face my old friend, I replied, “Ever the jackass.” I even went so far as to add a hand motion.
    “Not a bit,” he commented, trying to hold back his laughter.

“And you’re still easier to read than this thing, Daniel,” I shot, padding the leather case on hip.
    “For you maybe. The rest of us had a helluva time trying to figure that thing out, back in the seminary. God blessed you greatly when he gave you a gift for scripture on top of that way with tongues you have. Speaking of, what have you been up to lately?” He stopped to inspect some fruit on a nearby cart, and waited for me to answer.

I was loathed to tell the truth, but he was a fellow member of the clergy; I couldn’t lie to somebody like that. And there could be no doubt, by “up to lately” was referring to my clerical duties. I took a deep breathe and prepared for the worst. “I’m, uhh, a little inactive at the moment.” I watched, totally without shock, as the apple fell from his hand and made the loudest squelching noise the city had ever heard. I’m sure people one floor up most have heard it. I suppose the power of those words are lost on those not wearing the robe. Suffice to say, I may as well as got a girl pregnant.
    ----

The trip to “His Imminence, Deacon Daniel Roth’s” office took a little over five minutes. His office, sparse as it was, showed signs of honesty and genuine interest, as opposed to the lavish offices some church officials chose to occupy. A few books of higher order theology, a rugged carving of Mount Hirest as most of the order still called it, and a smattering of chairs opposite his massive desk. The chairs themselves also showed signs of good intent. Each one was probably worth more than his whole office, and if Dan was the same man he was seven years ago, he never had any intent of sitting in them. All in all, it looked like I told the right guy I was falling apart.

In the ensuing moments after I let the cat out of the bag, Dan paid for the apple he dropped, grabbed me without saying a word, took me to his office, and let me alone with instructions “to sit there a minute, ‘till I come back” while he went and talked to his aide. Undoubtedly, he would try and use his influence to get me into some kind of recovery program where I’d be able to help some count with his pride or some duchess with eating disorder.

“Larry,” A voice emanated form behind me, followed shortly by the sound of a door closing, “before you tell me what happened—and you will tell me what happened—I’m going to tell you what’s going to happen.”

“Uhh—“ I was silenced by a stern stare. I’d forgotten just how close the nine of us where in Seminary. “We’re not going to tell anybody. You’re not some schlub, who’s fallen away from the faith. The way you were humming on the way up the stairs told me that much.” I’d been humming hymns on the way here to try and fill the dead silence I was then a constant witness to. “There’s no need to get those bastards from the interior involved.” I sat up a little more in my seat, intrigued with what he had to say. “But before we can’t start to ignore this whole mess, I need you to tell me something.”

“Okay?”

“When was the last time you served at ritual?”

I didn’t say anything. I couldn’t remember. Probably a year or two after graduation.

“Gave last rights?” he asked, as if hoping for an answer. I again stayed silent. “Mortal admission,” he asked even more expectant.

“ Prayed?” he seemed to cry.

“Last night,” I remembered out loud. ‘Please, God, I swear I won’t drink anymore.’

The next few minutes seemed to bleed together. He asked, I answered. After a half hour of what became our established norm, he said one sentence that would change my life forever. “Larry, I need a favor, and you’re all I’ve got: there’s this small town the military’s heading to next week—they need some one to administer last rights.”

Even though I’d fallen away from the church, and I couldn’t care less about what they wanted me to do, I couldn’t ignore this. A call for aide from an old friend, and more importantly, somebody’s soul was hanging in the balance. If I didn’t go, if someone didn’t intercede for him. And it wasn’t like they had people to spare in that neck of the woods.

“I’m sorry, but I have to ask,” Dan prodded, “but my secretary said you left on a mission four years ago. That was about the same time—“

“Dan, I love you,” I interrupted. “And I appreciate all that you’ve done, but God and me, we aren’t in the best of places right now.”

“So? We’re talking about someone’s place in eternity here?”

“I know. That’s why I’m gonna do you this favor. But after this, that’s it. Don’t expect me to come back to the church.”

“Alright. Head downstairs and talk to the stable boy; he’ll get you heading in the right direction.” He stopped and scribbled something on a piece of paper. “Here. To give to the soldiers to let them now you’re on assignment. And Larry?”

“Yeah?”

“Remember the covenant for last rights—“

“No drinking and fast for a day before hand. Relax, I’m not doing this one for me.”
    ---
    Horses are cumbersome beasts. I’d much rather just walk to the villiage, but soldiers have to have things their way. I supposed we had to do that in some way or another. I was on the way out of the massive eastern gate, the Chapel to Hesh falling away fast behind me, when a messenger materialized out of the air next to me.

“Message, Father. It’s from Bishop Roth,” He said, repeating Dan’s secretary’s exact words.

Larry,
    I talked to John, he might be able to pull some strings and get you a job as a temporary pastor while working in Ghjiet. Check in with the officer in charge to see if his message made it through.
    Much Love,
    Dan

P.S.
    Yes, John was right about you.

“I’m sure he was. The bastard becomes the Prophet and all he can do is give me a church.” I trotted my horse a little harder to get away from the estranged looks of the soldiers. “Well, it’s not like I don’t love the son of a bitch.”

With that, I was well on my way to meet a dyeing soul, or two? I dunno; the officer wasn’t all that interested in telling me what was going on. Come to think of it, Dan didn’t really tell me much either. Gee, I really should’ve thought this out a little more.

I turned to try and look back at the city, only to be met with a wall of plate armor.

“Problem, Father?” The mountain replied, with a hint of menace.

Man, that one was going to come back to bite me.

1 person likes this.
  24. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

The smell of burning brought me back to another time. When Leemaxus was a heavily densed and populated forest.
    A many as mighty as the trees watched me as I played.
    "Lucida here the forest it sings," the man told me.
    I was just a small elflin at the time. I was still small no one would be as might as this man. I remember looking at his wise eyes.
    "The trees are happy papa," I replied with a wide smile.
    "Yes they are...happy as ever," Papa said with a heavy sigh.
    "What's wrong papa?"
    "I fear the abyss is coming closer though...I feel our heaven will be ruined soon,"
    "But the trees are happy,"
    "The trees old roots,"
    I remeber one day looking out the window of our tree temples and seeing fire from the sky. The trees let out a horrible scream as if they were being murder. The first tree to scream in pain from the fire was grandmother treee. Then grandfather tree. Our wooden froest burning. Elf woman and children scrambling to safety.
    I saw mama's hair catch on fire as if it had been doused in gasoline. She was crying and screaming.
    "Lucida now isn't the time to be amazed," papa said behind me.
    "Papa mama is..."
    I remember holding the hand of my mighty father tightly not wanting to let go. Then the mightiest person of them all fell as his hair caught ablaze. He began to turn into elfin ash. What was left of him looked at me.
    "Live Lucida...live,"
    He flew away from in elfin ash and I cried for him. I remember my tears following his ahses as if calling for him to come back.

I opened my eyes. I hated the bad memories. I got up and dusted my white robe. i heard the sharp snap of a twig.
    "Well what do we have here?" said a voice.
    I saw humans. The filthy humans who took over my home. Who destroyed the roots of the ancient trees.
    "Well...well..well isn't it an elf," said another human.
    They all smiled at me heavily. I lifted up my staff. I wasn't going to hurt them. I might just freexe them.
    "I call forth from the ancient springs bring me ice," I chanted.
    Nothing happened and the man all laughed. They were going to come at me. I dashed for it. I ran as fast I could. Elf creatures were much faste then humans. I stopped and saw that the only thing the humans kept were the springs.
    Yet our elf springs had been dirtied the water no longer clear, but blue. They used the springs for baths. the elf people would have cried this day. I wondered for a while why my magic didn't work.
    "You're not emotionally fufilling Lucida," the voice of my Papa said in my head.
    And then an idea came in my head. My magic only works with my emotions. Generally I was calm, but right now I feared.
    I could not fear. I had to become stronger then what I was. I was going to have to make a decision a strong decision.
    I had to become stronger.
    I knew what I ahd to do. I had to become a soldier so that I no longer feared.

25. Terra Valentine

Mission 2: Weapon and Murder

The inn was quiet. There were a few stragglers sitting a couple tables down from me. They kept their eyes on their drinks fearing my wild eyes. I swivled around at the bar to face the Keep.

"Slow day, today, was it not?" He asked, cleaning out a beer mug with a sodden rag. He didn't look up at me.

"Yeah." I mused. "Slow day." I stared into the little bit of ale at the bottom of my mug. I swished it around a little bit.

"You been feelin' okay?" He asked. There was little concern in his eyes. The weeks hadn't been kind to me. My face was sallow and the already present dark circles under my eyes had deepened in shade. I was paler than usual and my eyes had turned a deep blood red. I hadn't fed in the passing weeks and I knew that if I didn't 'eat' something soon, the townspeople would soon succumb to certain danger.

"I'm fine," I lied. I pushed the glass away from me and the Barkeep took it.

"You know Laura came by. Wanted to see how you was." Laura was a regular at the pub. She even worked there sometimes. Out of the entire town, she seemed to be the most understanding.

"Really, now?" Just something subtle to keep the conversation flowing.

"Yeah. Seems real stressed out that you haven' been eatin'. Wha's it been, now? Three? Four weeks?"

"I don't know," And truly, I didn't. Time to a vampire differed from a mortal's. It was faster. We had eternity to outlast. "I just haven't been hungry, I suppose." Another lie. But how could I tell him what I really was without the Militia coming to subdue me? Or worse, the Dark Ones to make me join their coven. Again.

"You should have a little somethin'." He said pushing a meat pie under my nose that he had produced from under the bar. I made a face in disgust. "Well, suit yourself." He put it back under the counter. I pushed my self up from the bar. "Where you goin'?" He asked lightly.

"I don't know." I turned and walked out of the pub. A small line of merchants' kiosks lined the road, along with small houses a hundred yards down. There wasn't much here to see. Kuon Island wasn't big enough to hold a lot. The lanterns in the houses were burning lower. It was almost daybreak. Merchants would be returning to their daily work of retail. The horizon was turning a soft shade of white and blue.

An old man stumbled out of the shadows behind a kiosk. He seemed to be in ill health. His face was hollow almost and many wrinkles lined his aged face. His hair was wispy and white.

He caught sight of me and his eyes widened. I looked around, but no one else was around. I'm sure no one would miss this man. I was to him within a half second.

"Please ma'am," He pleaded in a tiny, hoarse voice. "Please." I listened. What did this old man want?

"Please what?" I asked. He tripped and fell into my marble-like arms. He looked up at me with eyes that had long since lost their twinkle. His words were barely audible.

"I have been traveling for days, searching... Searching for the one who calls herself Naomi. She is a vampire who wanders, looking for what she has not lost. Have you heard of such a woman?" I was bewildered. How did this man know of vampires? The confusion was evident on my face as I answered.

"That is I." His eyes were kind.

"So I have found her. I have found her at last. Here..." He produced a short silver chain with a Hybrid fang tied to the center from somewhere. A necklace. "This belongs to you now. It brings certain powers to those who wear it. Take it and may you be safe in your travels. I have found her. I have found her..." He repeated.

"Who sent you?" I asked. He continued to mutter, I found her, I found her. "Who sent you?" I asked with more force. People would be waking now and coming out of their homes. I was thirsty and I wasn't getting an answer. What would it hurt? One human in over a hundred years? I'd be fine. I leaned to his neck, smelling the warm blood pulse through his artery. I bit down and felt the blood flow over my teeth, my lips, and down the back of my throat. It was so warm and the bitterness of it made me drove me crazy.

"It was Ide...." He managed a whisper before the final drop of life was sucked from him. I dropped him quickly.

"Who?? Who sent you?" But there was no more of the old man's mystisism. I looked at the fang in my palm. A Hybrid tooth. How could someone have managed to get this. I put it on and returned to the pub to sleep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.