1. gigantes

gigantes Banned

Riddle- How many milkcrates can I carry in one hand?

Discussion in 'Word games' started by gigantes, Jul 23, 2008.

you know what a milkcrate is, right? the one that comes in the cube-shape?

[​IMG]

so how many can a person carry with one hand without any other tools and materials other than the human body itself? and i don't mean temporarily balancing them on one hand- i mean able to carry them long distances comfortably.

how many? :)

---to see the exciting conclusion and pictures, jump ahead to post 18---

2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

None. Unless you can shrink it down and implant it in your hand, you're pretty much screwed. Gripping it with your fingers and palm is another story, entirely.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Two, with the handles in close contact, and the hand gripping the two handles.

Just don't try to put anything of significant mass in the crates.

4. lessa

lessa New Member

I have carried 4 at a time.
    But I have extremely long skinny fingers that could fit through the little holes.
    that is with one hand.

in one hand I would have to agree with adamant.

5. gigantes

gigantes Banned

then consider the question to be "how many can you carry with one hand?" and one bonus point to adamant for pointing out semantics. :)

that is also how my method starts.

i think i understand- holding four corners together (altho that sounds like a strain on the fingers after awhile).

anyway, four is good. keep going...

6. sfr

sfr New Member

Milkcrates don't come in cube shapes.

7. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Last I checked, mine were. :confused:

Anyway, I'm rather confused by this milk crate carrying business. My answer is who cares? As long as I get milk, I'm happy. :p

8. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Pretty much what was going through my mind.

You could probably do a third create locked in with your thumb (as it would still be free) and hook it through the grap. Wouldnt be to painful to do for tooo long. (im not sure how heavy these things are, but we have them in Aust). This create would also have to be uside down.

I hope when i have to pass judgement that i dont get this for a question ;)
    So i guess id go 3

9. gigantes

gigantes Banned

nice work, speedy! i'd say you've established carrying three crates for those with average fingers (nod to lessa).

can anybody up it to four?

10. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

I can carry four perfectly fine, because my fingers can go through the holes. That said, barely nothing can be in them, if anything at all.

Balancing act wise, I've balanced six, holding onto the bottom of one and stacking them upwards, but they were empty, and they only stayed up there for as long as I was able to walk one block. That's about it.

11. Speedy

I havent seen a milk create for ages, but cant they kind of click in (not just sit on top, but i thought the bottom was some what smaller so it could sit on top of another when if itsin the back of a truck). if that was the case you could balance 4 or 5 easy, but for long distance....maybe. it would have to be flat ground.

I remeber sticking my finger in the sides once and having to suck my fingers later cause they went chaff and sore... and if it would be for long distance id have to stop.

12. adamant

Why are you even asking this?

13. gigantes

gigantes Banned

yep, crates interlock to prevent sliding. but even interlocked, a stack will still fall over if it tips a bit.

NOTE: the milkcrates need to be able to be carried significant distances without superior balance, without smooth ground, without extra long or strong fingers or in general without any remarkable ability or remarkable energy.

so far speedy is tops with three using the 'thumb' technique.

@adamant,
    looking for curiosity and logical capacity, apparently. or maybe just wondering if someone can figure out what i did and whether they can top my mark.

14. adamant

If said crates are of different sizes, you can use the larger one to carry the smaller ones. The person holding the crates would only need to be able to lift the weight and use a single handle.

15. Speedy

I think where talking about the same kind of create though..

I was thinking (as im bored) you could actually carry four (might be slightly difficult, but if you got a good grib, it would be quiet well done)

Carry Create one and two (where handles are placed side by side) with your thumb and index fingers (keeping arm straight/ right angle to your torso) then you could probably have enough angle with your other fingers (middle and ring) the grip between two more (and close around the handle,which are also side by side like the first 2) The last 2 creates would be on a slight angle leaning on the first 2 creates (which would probably take some pressure off the middle and ring finger)

Most certainly possible.

It would probably hurt a little (like plastic bags hurt when you go shopping) but it wouldnt stop you.

lol@myself for such though.

16. FoxyMomma

FoxyMomma New Member

Can these crates fit inside one another by turning them on their side? Meaning, if they aren't perfectly square, one side won't be as long as the other and you can turn it and fit it in the other crate. If this is the case and you are already carrying 4, it doubles to 8. So, I can carry 8.

17. MarcG

MarcG New Member

Theoretically 6 or 8, by hooking two on each finger (allowing for space by not using ring or middle finger.)

18. gigantes

gigantes Banned

the pics are in, so here we go-

THE CHALLENGE: how many milkcrates can a person carry long distances comfortably with one hand without any other tools and materials other than the human body itself?

SPECS: a standard milkcrate measures about 11"x13"x13", weighs about 2-3 pounds and is made of impact-resistant plastic.

[​IMG]

2x2 SETUP: people suggested carrying a 2x2 matrix of crates with the fingers, with some even carrying a fifth loose crate on top. first of all this is only possible with certain kinds of crates based on the weave underneath. if the weave is square then it's possible; if it's diagonal then you're probably out of luck based on the scarcity of usable finger holes (see circles).
    http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/nicolasb1966/P1010002-3cropfingeredmerge.jpg

2x2 IN PRACTICE: simply put it's not easy, even with the right weave. there's both strain on the fingers and strain on the arm because the configuration forces you to keep your arm extended. certainly some people can carry the crates a city block or two this way but that's about it. as a comfortable, long-distance solution this method fails. my lovely assistant don will demonstrate this and later examples. thank you, don!
    http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/nicolasb1966/P1010016crop.jpg

2x2x2 MATRIX: a couple people suggested it would be possible to carry eight crates this way. inasmuch as 2x2 wasn't practical, the best way to describe this method is "impractical squared." theoretically the idea is to extend your hand into the middle of eight crates and somehow grab onto all of them while holding the bundle away from your body. we figure either mister fantastic or an octopus would be able to pull it off.
    http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/nicolasb1966/P1010027cropfingered.jpg

2-CRATES COMFORTABLY METHOD: here's an easy way to carry two crates comfortably. one simply lines up two of the handles and grabs ahold. since the whole hand is involved in one hold and since the crates can be carried at one's side (no arm extension), it's possible to carry the crates for miles without strain:
    http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/nicolasb1966/P1010012crop.jpg

THE JOHN FREEBORN 4-CRATE TECHNIQUE: starting with the above method and taking two more crates, rotating them a bit and placing them into the first two crates. carrying four this way is little more inconvenience than carrying the two above.
    http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/nicolasb1966/P1010013crop.jpg

THE NICOLAS BENDEZU 6-CRATE TECHNIQUE: starting with the above and placing two more upside-down crates on top of the pile. this method is slightly precarious because the two new crates are only held in place by friction, but in practice this method is workable and about as comfortable as the '2-crate comfortably' technique.
    http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/nicolasb1966/P1010017crop.jpg

TOTAL CRATES CARRYABLE: with the above method and two hands, one can comfortably carry 13 crates- 12 in the hands and one upside down on the head like a helmet. since "13" is also the number that represents transcendence, i call that a good bargain.
    http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/nicolasb1966/P1010020crop.jpg

STACK TECHNIQUE: we found that eight crates can be balanced on one hand. not that these are comfortable or easy to carry long distances, but as nothing more than an exhibit it's possible.
    http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/nicolasb1966/P1010023crop.jpg

10-CRATES IN ONE HAND: so far testing has proven inconclusive.
    http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/nicolasb1966/P1010025crop.jpg

OTHER CRATE USES: here's just one example of what crates can be used for in the home- my combination bed stand and organisation system.
    http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/nicolasb1966/P1010030crop.jpg

MORE: to see even more milkcrate uses, such as furniture and vehicles, have a look at "milkcrate digest."
    http://milkcratedigest.com/

THE WINNER AT WRITING FORUMS: speedy with three! ...i think.

feel free to make any further suggestions if you can top six in one hand. bonus points for sketches- so i can fully understand and test with pictures.

thanks for playing, folks!

19. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Tsk, tsk. The correct answer is a variable, limited only by time. Consider the original question:

". . . so how many can a person carry in one hand without any other tools and materials other than the human body itself? and i don't mean temporarily balancing them on one hand- i mean able to carry them long distances comfortably."

Reasoning: Select a "long distance" such as one mile. Walking at a sustainable pace, the mile can be traversed in fifteen minutes. You could plan to compete for six hours and carry only one milk crate from a starting point to an ending point where it would be left, so you can return for the next one. Over the six hours, you could easily carry 12 different milk crates the distance of the mile . . . AND you transported ALL of them with one hand. More time = more milk cartons, although your odor eaters might wear out. The original question fails to specify simultaneity!

(I love fly specks in the pepper! LOL)

20. gigantes

gigantes Banned

nope; sorry. we're talking per trip.