1. Marivian

Marivian New Member

Robert Jordan, Wheel Of Time, And Notes

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Marivian, Aug 14, 2014.

http://www.dragonmount.com/index.php/News/book-news/a-look-at-robert-jordans-notes-r751

As a writer I always wondered if my notes are written properly. I figured it doesn't matter as long as I can read them but I just stumbled across this and I'm relieved to see that his aren't very in depth either. For some reason I pictured Robert Jordan's notes to be very in depth detailing every single plot twist and turn but I see that isn't the case at all.

Anyone have any advice for writing notes? Is there any specific way to write them or is it kinda like I figured, every person does it differently?

2. archerfenris

archerfenris Active Member

This is very interesting. Books two through six on one page. Certainly a pantser. But this isn't really all that odd. All he needs is to get down the idea. So many things change between beginning to end.

Your notes are what you want them to be. Hell, when an idea for a new novel pops into my head it starts as a one sentence synopsis. I'm currently 40,000 some words into something that started as a sentence. Some people make detailed notes. When I write, however, the novel takes unexpected twists that I didn't even anticipate.

NanashiNoProfile and Marivian like this.
  3. Jaro

Jaro Active Member

I started working the way Robert McCammon does, after meeting him a few years back. He explains that he creates 'signpost' moments that he wants his story to achieve. For example the meeting of two characters, tragedy, etc. Then he just begins to write. Not planning anything out other than those various points. He says usually he doesn't even know how the story will get to that point until it does. Almost like he is reading a story that has already been written.

4. Beloved of Assur

Beloved of Assur Active Member

My advice would to try a few different ways and see what works for you. Maybe short notes works best, or maybe long ones? Do what you feel best with.

5. NanashiNoProfile

NanashiNoProfile New Member

My first "notes" were a world I built in Minecraft :) But since then I made notes all over the place and collated them on my laptop. Some chapters are just a sentence of notes, some are way more. A lot of notes are simply prompts that get me thinking, or a specific plot point that I want to happen in a particular chapter. When I reach a particular chapter I often find that the journey of my MC has changed slightly to my initial idea, which means the basic notes on the chapter don't lock me in to trying to do something that doesn't seem realistic in the situation.

I like notes. On the days I procrastinate (like now) I make notes so that I involve myself in the world I created at least a little bit.

6. DromedaryLights

DromedaryLights Active Member

I prefer the "Just fuckin' go for it" method. Then again, I rarely actually finish things. Could there be a connection? Perhaps!

Anyway, more seriously, I feel there is no right or wrong way to do notes. The right way is whatever you find helpful. Granted, I have a near pathological belief that there is no one right way to do most things -- something that many teachers in many subjects have fought me on over the years. So, maybe I'm doing notes the wrong way and making excuses for myself? Who knows.

7. the Sídhe's Writer

the Sídhe's Writer New Member

I think George R. R. Martin said there were two kinds of writers, the gardner, who plans their seeds and watches it grows (tending here and there when necessary) or the Architect who knows where every pieces belongs and where it goes and what's going to happen, etc.

I think it all depends on what works for you, really. My notes and plotting is more gardner wise. I know where I want my characters to go, but everyone now and again, a new seed finds it's way into my garden and I just let it grow and see where it's headed.

Jaro likes this.
  8. LeighAnn

LeighAnn Member

I try to make a plan, but I inevitably forget what the plan was. I try to make notes, then lose the notecards or reformat my computer. So I abandoned the planning altogether and just wing it. Works for me.