Role Play General Chat

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Raven, Jul 8, 2007.

1. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

I said still thinkin. Regardless, just wanted to check if this place was still active.

2. gibble410

gibble410 Contributor Contributor

Would anyone be interested in a Hunger Games roleplay?

3. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

Can I quickly ask, how active is the thread?

zoupskim likes this.
  4. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

I have a question: How do people feel about NON-original RP? There's a game I love, and the setting lends itself to group RP really well. I'd love to share the story and atmosphere, if this sort of thing allowed.

Specifically, I wouldn't be coming up with anything original for the overall story arc or setting, and original material would stick firmly to the theme and feel of the game. I would literally be quoting narrative of the game for a lot of posts. It would play out like a session of the original game. There's plenty of room for players to RP, and react, and be creative.

However, I, the GM, would just be quoting another source nearly 100%.

5. Azurisy

Azurisy Banned

I have seen this RP section of the forum and it delights me even more to notice it... I have never participated nor been the game master.

I have had for nearly half the last decade thought about engaging my friends alike on my own personal website (anyone curious enough, please PM me for the link) with its forum where creative, role-play co-writing games are set up around themes including my written/published novels'. I've thought for so long about setting up 'Confluence' within my forum's subforum called 'Imaginative Ventures' where writers as well as friends/amateurs can use their own characters or existing fictional ones and convene within the context of predicaments surrounding my imaginary kingdom express in my novels - and each player has limited palette of resources, assets, powers and more than one character and the system by me as game-master is complicated involving exclusive rights to oversee players' secret plot development at times and backdoor interactions.

Is there a way to integrate into my personal website's forum which uses Wix hosting service provider the program that allows players character sheets and complex role-play system? Either way, I'd love to engage on this forum, Writing Forums and the section Role play to unleash one's interactive imagination.

But first, are there prerequisites for getting started here as game master? Do I have to have enough reputation and decent record of posting of my works and critiques yet?

6. mmarage

mmarage The Detective Contributor

Well, not sure about the rest of your question, but to be a game master, you just need to sacrifice your first born to Stan. I kid, I kid, obviously. :p Anyone can be a game master, but it's probably best to try and get into someone else's RP first to try and get to know others and let them get a "taste" of your own writing and personality. I don't know if there are any games that are running right now, but you can always try to start one yourself, you can post your idea here to get a general gauge of how everyone thinks of it before you post it, or you can just go ahead and start a new thread.

7. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Erik-the-Enchanter! Banned Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Love Poems
    Thinking about starting a game cuz I finally got free time. Anyone interested? Its been pretty hush around here.

8. mmarage

Eh, depends on the game.

Erik-the-Enchanter! and halisme like this.
  9. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    OK, I was thinking of a magical land with set laws for magic, an insane king ordering his most elite sorcerers on a suicide mission, religious wizards, weird witches, a talking cat, a demon lord, angelic warriors, and a divine quest to save the universe.

10. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    It would be an epic fantasy adventure with an emphasis on good writing. Everyone doesn't have to be Shakespeare (in fact, I think this story should be more real and not shy from blood or cussing or adult humor), but there should be an effort to flesh out your character and interact with other characters and do collab posts. Continuity is emphasized as well, so if a character breaks a leg and no one has healing powers...that leg might stay broken for a while.

I also have been toying with the idea of leading the story at times as GM and then giving the players more freedom to figure out situations, so if I drop clues and hints about something and everyone misses it and doesn’t act on it, or takes the wrong action, then there could a be an unfortunate outcome that isn’t always reversible. For instance, if you overhear gossip that a princess is abusing belladonna eyedrops, and then learn that a mysterious young female is winning huge amounts of money at a local betting parlour, and later discover from another source that belladonna eyedrops can give you psychic vision...then one could put the clues together, figure out the princess is a running a gambling con, and possibly use that information to their advantage. A more serious situation would be learning via an innocent big-eyed girl that an isolated village is being terrorized by werewolves, being convinced to go on a side mission to save the town by said girl, and discovering that the whole village is made of werewolves and getting ambushed by dozens of bloodthirsty wolf people.

There are the normal battle rules too, but since all the main characters are supposed to be Elite Sorcerers, everyone will start off with four advanced spells and one or two weapons. From there you can create additional spells following each chapter, of which there will be three, short and sweet lol.

I’ve already scribbled out a whole plot spiderweb chart thing...I’ve figured everything out except for the ending, but that usually solidifies in my mind as the story winds down, depending on how the characters influence the story.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  11. halisme

You haven't read much Shakespeare.

Erik-the-Enchanter! likes this.
  12. mmarage

Alright, that sounds interesting.

13. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    @halisme Lol, actually I have, I meant everyone doesn't have to write AS WELL as Shakespeare. (Ya know, because some people think good writing means writing like a famous author, when really it's about cultivating your own unique style.) Just write in your own voice/personality and put some effort and thought into it. It really does show when someone puts effort into their writing or just rapidly typed a few sentences between classes and hit enter. (I have been guilty of this in the past, I'll admit it, ha.)

@mmarage So I got your vote? Hehe. :D Well, I'll message a few people and see if I can generate some more buzz. If not, I'm okay with three or four players, to be quite honest. My friend Bewitched will also most likely join, if he's not too busy.

14. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    I will submit my roleplay tomorrow morning. ;)

15. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Ok...waiting for approval for my RP...I need at least two replies before I decide to go all in on this game though...anyone still alive? @halisme @mmarage

16. halisme

Alive, and had my workload dropped by half. Should be able to join.

17. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    @halisme yayyyy, please check back in on the main roleplay page in a couple hours, maybe less, it should be posted by then. I think @Bewitched will join, but he might join tomorrow, he started spring semester at college today.

18. mmarage

I'm still alive.

19. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Hehe, yay, and Bewitched just confirmed he will join later on today or tomorrow. I guess it all depends on when King approves my RP, anyway. Has he been active recently at all?

20. mmarage

I can go and bug him.

21. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Sounds like a plan he he.

22. obi-sem kenobi

obi-sem kenobi Senior Member

I'm still alive as well. Busy at work, moving and going to be a father in the near future, but alive. I've thinking about getting back in the game for a while now and although I don't think a high fantasy with gods and demons is up my alley it is really nice to see stuff happening here again, so good luck and I hope it works out!

23. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Thanks for the notice, @obi-sem kenobi. It’s not JUST a high fantasy with gods and demons though, when you categorize it that way I feel like it’s a comparison when most high fantasy RPs we’ve done in the past are more action-focused than writing or plot-focused. If you read my summary before I was trying to do something different, focus on characters and give them more decision power, rather than follow in the vein of past RPs. We’d be glad to have you if you changed your mind, dude. Congrats on becoming a father btw!!

@mmarage where you at, lol.

24. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    I’ll post again soon, I was waiting for more players to join but it seems to be taking a while. I also got dental surgery to remove a new wisdom tooth, lol, it hurt like hell.

25. mmarage

Sorry, just having difficulty with writing spells.