Role Play 'Kickstarter'

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by losthawken, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

Would anyone be interested in this RP?

losthawken likes this.
  2. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Senior Member

Alright, here is my full idea:

UNNATURAL CAMPUS
    GM: TheApprentice
    Co-GM: KingType

The Unnatural World:
    For longer than records here on Earth will tell, there have always been supernatural creatures hiding among the human race and out of sight. Perhaps there was a time long ago when they showed themselves to the human race, unafraid of punishment or execution, but if there was ever such a time, it has been gone for a long, long time.
    Now, in the modern era, the year 2008 to be exact, humans go about their business, thinking such things as vampires and werewolves to only exist in novel or book ideas, and of magic as being explainable tricks and optical illusions. Most never stop to consider how wrong they may be.
    Vampires, werewolves, demons, goblins, nucklavee, and any mysterious being of ancient legend, was thought up for a reason. They exist, out of sight to most, or hiding as one of us. However, the human race is in little danger of attacks. Aside from in fighting on the part of supernatural beings, there is also the fear of human aggression. Believe it or not, due to the advancements of weapons and tactics, the supernatural are not only afraid of humans much more than humans fear them, but are mostly perfectly content to go about their own business, without any plans to rule above the human race.

Magic:
    Magic is seen in many forms of media, including books, movies, and video games, but it is often depicted inaccurately. There is an endless amount of hidden energy all around the universe, and only requires the proper will to harness. A mage needs no ritual, staff, or wand to throw an explosive ball of fire, though such things might help to amplify the power of a spell. Magic has many forms...too many to actually count. There is elemental, physical buffing, healing, blood magic, psionics, and necromancy, to name a few.
    Unfortunately for non-humans, magic is particularly difficult to do. Humans can most easily aligne themselves with the energy which surrounds them. It is due to this, that the magic schools are almost exclusively human.

The World of Mages:
    Among the many supernatural things which exist without the average humans knowledge is magic. Unlike certain books or movies would have you think, magic is not reserved only for those gifted with the ability. Although there are some who have been reading minds or levitating objects since birth, anyone could learn it through hard study and an open mind. Men and women able to harness magic are known as mages. Though mages have been forced into hiding long, long ago, they still have many academies worldwide for the purpose of learning magic and expanding upon their knowledge of magic. Some are hidden in deep forests, some are deep beneath the sea, some are in flying cities....
    And some are on islands...

Gotha Island
    Far off the coast of California, there is an island the size of a small country, cursed long ago, so that only mages could find it. If you are an average joe and never even praciced magic though, you will not see it, and should you take a boat out into the pacific and run into the island, you will pass right through it. The island is also undetectable by satellites.
    The island is split up into three sections: A mountain area, a jungle area, the city, and the actual school.
    Located along the western edge of the island, the beautiful mountain area is, well, rocky, mostly, with a few plants growing out the side. There are some hiking trails, mines where some of the raw material comes from, and a rock elemental magic class occasionally has classes here. Some of us may appreciate, other features of the mountain area. In some abandon mines, small time gangs run their operations, or even worse, covens attempt rituals which spell bad news...for the whole island.
    Covering most of the island, the lush jungle area is full of trees, and plants, and bugs, animals too, if you couldnt guess by the name. There are also hiking trails, of course, and classes are sometimes held out here. Though it is often hot and humid, the trees above shade anyone walking through the jungle. Ruins can be found all throughout, looking to be of Roman architect. Oh...I forgot to mention, there's drug labs, and other illegal operations hidden within the jungle, and lone mages are often jumped and mugged, if not killed.
    Located at the center of the island, the sprawling metropolis is home to many, many mages, in case you didn't know. There is a beautiful view of the mountains from here, but the towering buildings block the view from the streets, but the green jungle still surrounds the concrete jungle, and there is a bay going inward all the way to the city, allowing for a gorgeous view of the vast, blue ocean, and a boardwalk full of excitement. The rest of the city is marvelous, where magic mixes with modern technology, the air is clean even in the industrial area, and magic is used by most in daily life. The law is rather loose on things such as marijuana and simple fighting, as evil rituals and human sacrifices are a much bigger problem than a few pot heads. Strangely, the crime rate in the city is relatively low, likely due to the powerful magic the law enforcement wields.
    Then there is the academy...

The Merlinus Academy
    These halls of learning are located at the northern tip of the city where the streets pavement meets the forest grass. There are pillars at the front entrance of both of the massive school buildings, and a single dorm building as big as a mansion. The outdoor vegetation surrounding the academy is well kept, and must be constantly taken care of, as the track field, football field, and baseball field are constantly being torn up by the spell flinging students.
    The indoor school is much like any college. The teachers are experienced and give difficult tests, and the students freak out over grades and form cliques all the time. Telepathic and physical buff students are the preps, psionics and elemental magic is practiced by the nerdy/geeky students, and blood magic/necromancy/conjuring is done by the gothy students.
    When first coming, the students are given a schedule and a dorm room number, and are offered a tour of the place. The student may then experience college just like anyone in the "average" world. Go to classes, get good grades, then get a good job on the island, one of the other schools throughout the world, or elsewhere in the hidden supernatural world. There are many more opportunities for a graduate of this place than one would think. If a mage changes their mind, they may have documents forged for a school of their choice, but with the grades they earned here are Merlinus.

Now that we should all have an idea of the setting, lets talk about...
    The Character Creation System:
    So I made this system to prevent overpowered characters from being made. There are three different types of skills: Magic, Non-Magic Combat, and Support Skills. These are the useful abilities of your characters. You get 10 points to spend with Magic skills, 10 points to spend on Non-Magic Combat, and 10 to spend on Support Skills. Magic skill points effect how skilled you are with certain forms of magic, so say you have 1 point in blood magic, then you know very little and cant boil enemies blood, control people, or make people bleed out of all their orifices. The most you can do at 1 point here is slow blood clotting slightly or give someone a nose bleed. With Non-Magic Combat and Support Skills, its the same as far as skill points. Non-Magical Combat is how proficient you are with your fists or certain weapons. Support Skills are skills that are not combat related and might help the party during the rp in ways like getting into a locked up building, getting confidential info, making money, or otherwise. Let me give an example of what your characters starting skills might look like:
    Magic:
    Telepathy: 1
    Psionics (Pyrokinesis): 5
    Healing: 4
    Non-Magic Combat:
    Hand to Hand (MMA): 3
    Clubs: 4
    Guns (Rifles): 3
    Support Skills:
    Infiltration: 2
    Guitar: 5
    Hacking: 3
    Notice how with certain skills I put another word parenthesese. This is because there are different variants of these skills. For psionics, there is pyrokinesis, telekinesis, cyrokinesis, hydrokinesis, and others. For hand to hand there are various different fighting styles and martial arts. For guns, there are rifles, shotguns, handguns, and machine guns. These are only examples of skills, and are not the only skills you may have. After you create your character, your character will need to train, study, or get experience with a skill to earn more points for it. Lets say you get into a lot of fist fights. Eventually your hand to hand will rise by one point. You may put any skills for each you can think of, so long as they match the description I gave for each in the first paragraph. The skill cap at the beginning is 30, but will raise as the plot advances.

Cash:
    The island city, despite its differences from the US, uses the US dollar as its currency. In this game, you need the right amount of cash to purchase from shops. You get this pretty easily, from looting the passed out/dead bodies of enemies you defeat, robbing or stealing it, selling things, performing for it, or from payment from some of the missions we will do. The prices from the shops for certain things will vary. You can buy things off of ShopWarlock.com for cheaper, though it is an illegal website and your items will take one to five days in game to arrive.

Now that we have gone over the general idea of the game, here are
    The Rules:
    1. I am gm, my word is law. Kingtype is the co-gm, and his word is also law, unless I say otherwise.
    2. No overpowered characters. The character creation system pretty much prevents that, but if you find some loophole and your character winds up being too powerful, I will have you edit your post. Also, no controlling other characters.
    3. The combat is written out by the players, and there is no hp system, but dont use this as an excuse to make your character unbeatable. I made the game without hp or anyone having to roll dice because I trusted everyone would know when their character was hit or defeated.
    4. No time skips without my permission.
    5. No arguing or flame wars in the game or discussion.
    6. If you are leaving, post that you are leaving first so we dont have hold ups. If you want to come back after a long absence, tell me via pm so I can work your character back into the story.
    7. No killing others characters. You can only defeat player characters, with NPC's, have fun.
    8. Cursing is fine, gore description is fine, and other adult themes are fine. If two characters are having a love scene, however, keep it PG-13.
    9. Being that my word is law, if I catch you doing something that is not posted here in the rules that I dont think should be allowed, I will either tell you to edit, or never do it again.

CS Template:
    Name:
    Appearance:
    Personality: (Please dont write TBA. At least put something down so we have a general idea what your character is like.)
    Magic:
    Non-Magical Combat:
    Support Skills:
    History:
    Notable Items: (Any items your character has that are significant)

3. TheApprentice

Anyone else want to join the game above? It's already started but we can fit more people right now.

I can give anyone who joins a quick recap.

losthawken likes this.
  4. Dras

Dras Active Member

*sings*
    Got a Secret,
    Can you keep it?
    Swear this one you'll save.
    Better lock it in your pocket,
    Taking this one to the Grave.
    If I show you,
    Then I know you,
    Won't tell what I said.
    Cause two can keep a secret if
    One of them is dead.

Has anyone tried a pure horror RPG? Say something like Corpse Party meets Future Diary? I got an idea but I don't know if anybody else would be interested in that sort of thing :/

The basic idea is each character would be human trying to survive a hellish world. Death is a very possible thing but depending on the manor of death you can turn into one of the 'ghosts/demons' trying to kill everyone else or a benevolent spirit trying to help everyone survive. You would encounter 'tests' of a sort and your survival would be determined by a random number generator.

To win the game you must be able to escape alive...hopefully all in piece. Mentally and physically.

Possible?

5. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

Gonna make a game.
    Setting is a MMORPG.
    Writing the sheet right now

6. TheApprentice

I'll join your game, lix

7. lixAxil

Vortex's Crusaders

“Hey… what if I were to tell you, that the game is as much alive as the real world?”…

Games are a window to a new world, they can become colorful plays and even living books. As the technology advanced, games had also become a portal for social relationship, these are the called online games and eventually the creation of the Massive Multiplayer Online games. Many spawned drawing the attention of thousands and each day they evolved more and more until the creation, things like virtual reality device were developed making the involvement with the game a true experience and enhancing the social links created through it.

The peak came with the creation of Vortex’s Crusaders, a very vivid game that allowed the creation of almost everything within it, a wide variety of characters and the option to be played via the classic method, using a console or a pc, or a VR’s option for those who could afford it, giving them the experience to live the game.

The question for mankind though is… how much can replace a game the life? Will the technology reach the point were you could even live inside a game? Will the idea of reality become a lie soon?...

Vortex’s Crusaders 3.0.0 had been released.

A year had passed since the launching of Vortex’s Crusaders, the game that changed the way to play. Such a game that could make your fantasies truth and with wide varieties to access had attracted the biggest number of gamers in the entire world; are you too old to live like you used to?, a young like experience can be lived here. Do you have any kind of physical limitation that limits your capacity to have a normal life?, the VR’s system have functions that will make you feel like you can walk again, like you can hear or see again, and many other things.

Changes within the third version.

Aside from the new quests and increased level cap, the customization of characters had been greatly increased, although no real bug existed, numerous things had been modified to facilitate the live of the players. Also, besides the console, PC software and VR’s device the Vortex’s centers are now open in numerous cities, with these the players can gather in the same center enhancing the social interaction and for those who can’t afford the game or have any hardware’s issue, this place allows you to enter into the game paying a small fee as if you were to rent a video.

Character creation

The system allows a wide variety of characters and customization for you to enjoy the game at the fullest, you can either go for the classic and become a sorcerer or a knight, play as part of a spaghetti western being a cowboy, what about sci-fi?, become a robot, alien, advanced human or whatever you want, or perhaps do you want to be an animal?, free to do it you are of course. And for those who can’t decide, why don’t you create your new fantasy ‘s character?

Account: The account requires full name, age, location, address, postal code. The information of the account will remain as a secret.

Name: What is a character without it’s name?, feel free to use your favourite name. The policy of the game forbid the use of any offensive name of any type, also is suggested to not use your real name, thanks for your comprehension.

Type: As introduced previously, is of your choice what will your character be, just let your imagination go wild.

Appearance: With the nigh infinite customization system, you’ll have no problem to build your ideal self or fantasy.

Background: Perhaps you have a nice story written in your head for your character, you can write it here or use the voice and let the system write it for you, it will appear within your biography so other players can access to it. But if you like to play the fresh one, then leave this in blank.

Playstyle: Your determinate playstyle will lead the stat's build for your character. If you play with a character for quests or battles you can choose between a set of different combat oriented playstyles. As for different playstyles, not combat oriented, more options exists.

-Damage Dealer (Physical or special): The character will have high stats of either physical attack or special attacks, also a fair stat for speed, dexterity and more stats for direct combat. However character will have a lack of defense stats as they will purely be oriented to damage the enemy.

-Tank: Unlike the Damage Dealer, the tank will specialize on defense, lacking speed and having a mid level attack, still the tank will be a big powerhouse ready to take any of the enemy’s blows and even distract it in combat.

-Healer: The healer lacks defense and attack but carries the highest amount of special points and also speed. It’s function relies solely in to heal the allies and buff their stats.

-Trickster: The trickster is a speed oriented character that specializes in debuffing the enemies and trapping them with several tricks or ailments.

-Hybrid: The Hybrid character combines two playstyles, however it will limit a bit of their capacities, as thus a Damage dealer Tank will be able to play both styles, yet a pure Tank will always withstand more and a pure DD will be have a high attack value, still the Hybrid has the biggest customization of skills within the characters.

Skills: One of the more attractive functions is the skill system. It allows the player to create its own skills within a limit determinate by level and playstyle. The player introduces the “idea” to the system to be processed and created for the character.

Rules.

Godmode: The system will prevent you to make your character invincible, any attempt will result in banning of the account

Offenses: The account will be banned if any offensive behavior is detected, the duration of the banning can range from weeks to permanent. Please notice that if both players agree with this behavior there will be no banning, also if the offense goes directly to the person instead of the character measures will be taken.

Control: Attempts to steal an account within the game to control other’s characters will be punished with banning.

GM’s word is law: The GM’s had been deployed to allow a more comfortable experience, they will enforce some laws that must be respected by each player.

Regarding PK: Although the death of a playable character is something common within the game, players that abuse of player killing against the will of others will have their account banned. Of course it's not needed to say that any personal grudge or reason that leads a person to kill another will be sentenced by the proper authorities

More rules will be added if needed.

Contact: For any issue feel free to contact us, also if you have any sugerence to make the experience livier and better contact us and we'll evaluate if that can be added within a new update.

-------------
    %%&#$"$$#/(&($#%$"%"#"#$"

"....Qu.... fa..ure.... Rock....... C.... Sc.... Sc....Wou.... Gild...."

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  8. lixAxil

Oh didn't add to not ruin the mood xD
    But in this game you'll play as both the playable character and the real person, regarding the second you're free to keep its secrecy or show it as much as you want to if ya feel like.
    Also you can be a noob or a veteran xD.

9. Dras

Dras Active Member

I would play that! It's like SAO, Log Horizen and Hack:// all combined ^^

10. lixAxil

Well I have watched SAO and had played/watched .Hack, dunno about the third.
    But the plot I have in mind is kinda different, I always try to avoid things I already seen xD.
    In this game you can die as in each game without issues, and you won't get into a comma if you find a bug.

11. Dras

Dras Active Member

Cool

12. lixAxil

Yeah
    Yet before oficially lauching the game I'll evaluate how much interest there is.
    I don't want this to be a fail like SN (which strangely had a fair amount of interest)

13. mmarage

mmarage The Detective Contributor

It seems interesting, I might join.

14. lixAxil

Mmmm shall I add servers or not?
    Btw any suggestion for the online game?, not too versed on those, so I may have missed something.

15. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I'm in... As much as I'm in anything these days. But I'll give it a shot! It's been too long @lixAxil.

Also, did you guys know that
    It's pretty sweet :D

16. lixAxil

Pheonix! you're alive!!!

It feels like the moment Luke was struggling against Vader's ship and Han Solo came in the Millenium Falcon and shoot him!! that's how epic it feels.

17. Pheonix

@lixAxil :D Does that mean that I am Han Solo in this metaphor?!? I SO HAPPY! :S

But yeah, i've just been really busy and stuff... But I really do wanna give your game a shot, sounds like it will be pretty epic. :D

18. lixAxil

Assuming it goes to the end, yes it should be.

19. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

How would people feel about having another stab at a Star Wars RP?

And this time, I would plan it out better and write some stuff in advance so that, should I feel uninspired on a rainy day, I could compose a post anyway. I do realize I am not too well known for finishing things but considering the amount of time I have and the fact that I am in a good, day-to-day rhythm, certainly helps increase my chances of succeeding in making it all the way through the plot.

So, who'd be interested?

20. Pheonix

Of what I've seen here so far, starwars is 0/3... Fanfic rp's in general don't seem to really go anywhere unfortunately :( And for me, I prefer original RPs to fanfic, there is more room to grow with original content. That's just my take though.

21. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

That's a valid point. Luckily, I do have plans for an original RP laying around that just needs a little polishing.

I might be able to get it up here today so I can hear ya'll thoughts on it.

22. lixAxil

Yo!
    So I'm deciding to go with the RPG
    Think is that it may either start soon and go a bit slow on the beginning
    Or start around April 15th

23. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

*tackles the oaf who hasn't posted here in ages* MACKYYYYYYY! :p

also, yes I will play -I need to stretch my boy-writing fingers.

Ack. (okay wait I can't say im at my limit I always break it..) I'm at the point where it would be better for me if I don't play in any other games atm -but I really want to join that one as a healer (anyone dare comment on it and ill challenge you to play with me on L.O.L -you'll see my mad skills) but then if it starts at April 15 that's the exact dayn before I have to go to state again in 3D animation.

24. Pheonix

Ladies and gentlemen, It has been too long. So, with no further ado, I present for your approval...

--The Suburban American Guide to Zombie Warfare--
    Complete 2nd Edition
    By Thomas "Gasoline and Hatchets" Jones
    Edited by Willy "Insert Title Here" Peuters
    With Guest Entries by:
    Anyone with an IQ above 69 who has a rudimentary writing implement

My friends, it is with a heavy heart that I announce to you today that the world has ended. That's right,​
    it's over. Gone. Done. Doneski. Byebye. No Mas Mundo. Fin. Toast. Out to pasture. Bought the farm. Took the long walk. Is six feet under. Auvitazen welt! Gut... You get the point.

But now you may be wondering, how did this happen!? Your next thought after this should be (and rightly so) ER MAH GERD! AM I DED!? Well son, you might be. But that is far from the point. So far from the point that I am going to forget you ever said that and move on to the actually point. (Panicy bunch of babies, I tell ya.)

Anyway, world ended, over doneski byebye, you are not dead (hopefully), yes yes... where was I? Oh! Right! (Damn typewriters doesn't have backspace, please forgive the ramblings...) ((And the apologies for the ramblings...)) (((And the... Nevermind).

Zombies!

The world has ended via zombies, and the mofo's are literally everywhere, drooling over your brains... Assuming that you aren't already one of them. If you are, but this book down slowly, and try not to get drool and bits of brain on it... please. Damn zombies.

Anyway.

This book is a guide. A guide to halp help you to not have your brains eaten by drooling zombies. As such, it is broken into three sections as follows.

1) Your Side, Their Side: Basics of fortifications and home defense.

2) Hatchets, Gasoline, and other signature weapons: A well armed Zombie Warfare Expert is a Happy (and living) Zombie Warfare Expert.

3) On the Road Again: Scavenging basics.

With a special appendix by my good friend Willy Peuters: "So everyone you know wants to eat your brains: managing the potentially crippling
    psychological effects of the Zombie Apocalypse."

Each section is broken into several sub-sections, detailing everything that you need to know, before you go. From classifications of zombie types, to fun defensive decorating ideas!

My hope with this field guide is to help you avoid some of the common pitfalls associated with beginners to the whole, "Post Apocalyptic Zombies Scene."

That being said, this guide is not comprehensive. There are many situations that I have not come across. For example, I know that zombie birds are a thing, I have however, never seen one (nor do I wish too...) and as such have no valid ideas on effective methods of redeadifying one. That, my good friends, is where you come in.

Audience Participation

This guide is designed to be added to. As it stands right now, it is more of a, hmm... Primer? of sorts to this whole bag 'o crap that we gots to deal with. Eventually, it could be the end all guide that will lead mankind out of our newly unenlightened state back into the um... light of... enlightenment... and such like things...

Anyway! By adding to this guide, and subsequently distributing it to all your friends and family and strangers that you meet on the road and even the total ass who is probably trying to steal your gun and daughter at the moment, we might eventually have a state of things where zombies will be effectively under control and we won't have to be concerned about any of that crap anymore.

That would be awesome.

Lets make it happen!

(Now, lets see, how would you go about making an emoticon on here? %{ (wrong) ^. (Wrong) :D right!

:D

--Thomas "Hatchets and Gasoline" Jones.

------------------------------------------

That ^ should be taken as setting the tone for the whole game. Zombies are too often made into a far too serious topic, and the plight of the survivors even more so. That will not be the point of this game. This game is to have fun with. So, Twisted and eccentric humor is welcome.

The main idea of the game is that it will start off in a normal american subdivision in the suburbs of chicago. The player characters will all live in said subdivision, either before the zombie apocalypse started or they moved in afterward. The goal is to protect the subdivision for as long as possible. Game time will go by days, with some kind of crisis or challenge popping up at least every other day.

Experience points are gained for every crisis averted. Once a set number points are accumulated, someone will have to write a new entry in the Guidebook, this person will be elected from among the players. Things will happen at set points along the way, and depending on how everyone handles said obstacles, will determine how the game unfolds.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Suggestions? Interested? Lemme know! :D

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  25. lixAxil

Being Master P, I know this'll be good.
    I may join, yet if I do, don't expect too much activity from me.