1. CottonCandi

CottonCandi Active Member

Romantic Research, Yuck!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CottonCandi, Jul 14, 2011.

Ok guys,what is the most romantic thing you have ever said to a lady? (keep it clean please) :)

2. wolfi

wolfi New Member

Really had as somethings are romtntic to some and not others

I belive the most romnatic thing to say is "I love you" but only when you truely mean it
    Are those long winded speachs while nice ar often ripped off form soemone eles or over done a billion times
    most girls i know dont want to hear the "your so................" speach
    Thats not to say they dont have their place.... now to awnser your question

My girl freind once asked me if I thgout she was the most betufuil girl in the world
    I told her no, but I picked her over all the others

Honesty and fewer words the better IMO

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Words are cheap. Look at even the highest rates paid by magazines for submissions. ;)

I once crossed the country to visit the woman I loved, for Valentine's Week. Each day, I gave her a different gift. These were not lavish, expensive gifts, but each one recognized some aspect of her personality. For example, she lived for her morning coffee, so one of the gifts was a tiny crystal and brass replica of a hand-cranked coffee grinder.

Words are cheap.

4. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

... Shit. I'm jealous.

I have to agree that words are cheap most of the time. There are quite a few circumstances where they hold quite a lot of value and sway.
    I don't know what it is, and I know I can't just do it on command; but there's a particular look that I can give that can charm any woman I encounter. Or, at least, every time I've used it so far, it's done wonders and gotten me quite a few smiles back.

That said, I won't be using my charming smile on just anyone any more, being that I'm recently taken. c:
    Personally, I think the most valuable words are the ones you learn from Her. Find out what things she likes. Remember your anniversary. Don't forget what she wore on particular days. Some guys, myself in particular, are good at remembering things like this.

The things you remember like that (like favourite flavours/flowers) can translate well to gifts, you see.

That, or just say the most charming things you can in the most charming way possible. Charming grin (easier than the charming smile, and can be done on command), slight pause. "You're spectacular/gorgeous/lovely/wonderful/etc, <name>." That said, unless you're thinking it, unless you're meaning it, it'll mean jack all.

5. thatguy

thatguy Member

Haha, you dog! I hear yah, cruciFICTION, I call my grin the "Half Cocked Han-Solo Smile!"

The most romantic thing I ever said to a woman: My girlfriend, at the time, asked me "If there was one thing about my body you could change, what would it be?" to which I replied, "Nothing. If you looked completely different I still wouldn't change a thing."

"Good answer," She said, and then I got laid. Fist pump!

6. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

^I don't mean this to be rude, because I know people who would totally swoon at that line, but I think if I asked Joel that question and he told me that, I would probably just laugh at him. Of course, I would never ask him that expecting a genuine answer, either...

From a chick's standpoint, I've got to agree with Cog--actions speak louder than words when it comes to being romantic. It doesn't even have to be big things...just nice things that show someone is thinking of you.

7. dizzyspell

dizzyspell Active Member

Yeah, I agree with Hidden and Cog (also from a girl's perspective) about actions speaking louder than words. I can't think of a single romantic thing my boyfriend has said to me, but I can think of a lot of things he's done.

8. thatguy

thatguy Member

No, not rude at all. If you were my girlfriend I think I'd tune in to your style of music, and probably wouldn't drop that line. I mean if you never asked the question, I'd never get the opportunity anyway.

I think I'd cook something up to make you swoon, hiddennovelist.

What's the most romantic thing you've said to your man?

9. thatguy

thatguy Member

Isn't the topic of this thread the most romantic thing you've SAID to a woman? Hey, I don't disagree, actions speak louder than words, but I thought we're talking about the most romantic words, not gestures.

10. BBB

BBB New Member

Welll, I am new here. I used to own my own forum dedicated to the TV show LOST, but it has long since spiraled downward. So I want to find a new forum to frequent. This one looks promising so I will jump right into the conversation. I wrote this several weeks ago. They aren't exactly things I said to a girl, but things I wanted to say:

There was this time when she and I were sitting next to each other in rocking chairs late at night. It was perfect outside. 75 degrees, slight breeze and no humidity. In that moment I was truly, truly happy. And there were a million things running through my mind that I wish I could have expressed to her then. Unfortunately, my heart was beating a thousand times a second, so it was hard for me to form words at all. Here are some of the things I wanted to tell her then:
    - She was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen
    - Just glancing at her made me smile a smile that I couldn’t suppress
    - That she was the most frustrating person I have ever dealt with
    - That I would’ve given anything just to hold her hand in that moment
    - She is the only one who really knows me
    - I wish that we could’ve made that night last forever
    - When she smiles at me: my heart jumps into my throat, I can’t catch my breath, my insides move around, my stomach has butterflies in it, and I lose my train of thought
    - Whenever I made a wish on a birthday, or at 11:11, or on a shooting star, my one wish for the past two years was that at some point I would get to kiss her
    - When I miss her I watch romantic comedies
    - I have to remind myself to breathe when I am around her
    - That I was scared that someone had that much control over my emotions
    - That waking up to a text from her would make my entire day
    - That if she lived closer, I would take her on so many adventures
    - That it’s impossible to take my eyes off of her

But I was too tired, or perhaps too cowardly to articulate those things to her. Cowardly maybe, because I was scared that she wouldn’t reciprocate the love that I had for her.

11. cruciFICTION

=D

Not (I stress NOT) the most romantic thing I've ever said to a woman, but I was at home waiting for my girlfriend to come online on Facebook so we could chat and stuff, and when she did, I said: *Massive heartthrob just now when I saw the FB thing be all like "Gabrielle messaged you"*
    Maybe romantic, maybe not, but she thought it was cute as hell.

I'm a charmer. That's all. :love:

12. thatguy

thatguy Member

BBB:

Dude, you just gave me a broner. I project myself as tough as I possibly can - I love mouthing off to assholes, bumping chests and throwing fists, but true love is the most terrifying thing I've ever encountered. Some girls scare the shit out of me.

I'm picking up what you're laying down, brother.

cruciFICTION:

Haha, man, it's all about playing to your girl's tune. Saying things you wouldn't normally say just to charm your old lady is pure chivalry.

13. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

I went to a Chinese restaurant, asked for a table for two at a certain time and handed them a CD. I asked them if they could play it after we had sat down on our table, and they agreed when I said why. A few hours later, I went to a flower store to buy a rose. Then I went back to the restaurant, talked to them about the music and handed them the rose.

When I picked up my (then) girlfriend, she didn't know anything. I acted casual like were just going to the movies or something, and she didn't exact anything. When we got to the restaurant, she got a bit suspicious, but didn't ask what was going on. Then when we sat down, her favorite song started playing, and when the waitor handed us our menues, her's were open and had a red rose in it.

And the best part? It was just an ordinary Wednesday.

14. cruciFICTION

Fix'd.

15. NikkiNoodle

NikkiNoodle Active Member

Since I'm NOT a guy, I will just leave my two cents from my memory box titled "most romantic things my husband has ever said to me...." *or something like that*

"Being with you made me a better man."
    *he's never even heard of As Good As It Gets so he does get origionality points for that one.

Aw, man...thats about it.

See, it depends on your relationship and what kind of man he is. I married the non-romantic type. He didn't even ask me to marry him. But I melt every time he wraps his arms around me like he wants to absorb me into his skin, burys his face in my neck and says, "I love you SO much."
    The only time his romatic side comes to the surface is when he's deployed over seas and then he writes me all kinds of cliche drivel...but coming from him it's the sweetest and most romantic thing in the world.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the romance depends on the person and on the circumstances. What might cause me to raise my "seriously?" eyebrow at one guy (who is trying too hard and picked it up from a movie thinking it would work) might cause my heart to stop dead in my chest coming from another (who is completely honest and pouring his guts on the table.)

16. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Not to derail the topic, but... why?

17. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Some people can't help it, dude.

I like what you did at the restaurant. That was good :)

18. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I'm not a fan of romantic stuff. Most of the stuff my ex boyfriends have said to me have just made me laugh to be honest, so they stop trying. Possibly why I'm single. What I did think was really romantic though was when my latest ex (there has only been three of them!) and I would sit cuddled up on the couch and play video games together.

The most romantic thing I have ever seen though was on Rosanne.

Rosanne is given flowers and she asks Dan if they are from him. He says no, so she looks at the card that says "I lied".

19. Sundae

Sundae New Member

Yes, yes, actions speak louder than words, but words are important for writers.

From my experience, the best words are always truly genuine with no notions of wanting or needing to be romantic. They are genuine things to say at the right moment - that it becomes romantic.

Readers know that words are cheap. Readers know the standard pick up lines, readers knowing that words are meaningless, and more often than not, your characters in your story also know the same things. So how do you write a line that is romantic in earnest? Subtly.

Often times, the lines are more romantic when the my character don't realize how meaningful the words being spoken between them are but my readers do.

So it's like that double meaning... where readers know more than the characters and so it has a bigger effect. Of course, this depends on your writing perspective, but from everything I have learned, the key is to make your readers fall in love with your character BEFORE the character themselves fall in love with each other. When this happens, the reader is willing to put more meaning behind words spoken because they find deeper meaning in them than your characters do..

In my experience, it should be more romantic to your readers more than to your characters. And all the female perspectives in this thread confirm this. I think one person here said that they couldn't think of anything romantic that has been said to them, another said that they remember the actions more than words... well similarly, in your writing, characters aren't going to hang on every word - and the words aren't going to make them fall in love. And when the romantic words are being spoken, the characters aren't mentally thinking "aww, that's so romantic." - most likely, we're either thinking "it's sweet," or if it's really meaningful, romance is the last thing on our minds because deeper emotions are being exercised. However, the contrast is that the readers are free to realize that it's totally romantic while your characters don't.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. Romance is more than just word - it depends on a lot of factors.

That being said... what's the most romantic thing that has been said to me? It's not that the words were romantic, is more of the circumstance and situation that made it romantic. Like it's sounds cheesy, but I remember my bf saying I had a pretty smile at one of the most unexpected time. Doesn't sound romantic at all, but it was when we went mountain climbing and got caught in a rock slide. Rocks as big as my body were heading towards us and we had to scramble to get to a safe part. Once the worst of it was over, we both found ourselves about five feet from each other. We were covered in mud head to toe, scared 'cause we just narrowly missed being crushed to death, and we couldn't move because the gravel and smaller pieces of stone were still loose and to walk then would be like walking on marbles. I just remember looking up after everything had calmed down a little to see my bf grinning back at me. He didn't ask me if I was okay, or comment on that fact that we almost died. He just looked at me and said "you have a pretty smile." Looking back, it's romantic, though I have no idea what I was thinking when he first said it.

20. CottonCandi

CottonCandi Active Member

Good one, Sundae and you are right, I wanted words more than actions but the actions gave me some ideas.

Like when Cognito said he traveled across a country to be with his love. Ah man, that was a good one! You've got to tell us more, Cog! lol

But I think BBB hit it on the head with his list! WOW! I could make a book with that!

Thanks so much guys and gals. They were all great stories!

21. Sundae

Sundae New Member

Not to put a damper on the thread, but BBB's list so far is pretty standard and you will find hundreds and hundreds of books with similar sayings. That is why words are cheap. If you can't convey the feeling of those words or make it memorable, readers won't remember it.

I can easily name ten books that have sayings similar to that. But I couldn't tell a single memorable scene or couldn't really with conviction tell you that either the scene or the characters were truly romantic.

Of the ones that are truly romantic, it wasn't the words that were romantic, but the situation/ where even the most ordinary words become extraordinary.

22. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

A poem I wrote, I found it in my old archives, for my...lover:

There was this gentle
    breeze that bubbled up
    the salt from the
    oceans

The blacksmiths favored this
    ocean because it held
    mermaids and legends of
    sailors

But this isn't a tale
    of the sea this is a
    tale of the land

One blacksmith so bent
    on the thought of
    a mermaid blessing him
    decided he would forge
    his own mermaid

A land dwelling mermaid
    she would sing tunes
    no one has ever
    heard

And her lips would cure
    diseases
    As the man tried
    to forge a statuette from
    iron

All he got was a
    sword and the name of
    Mermaid

Long long years have
    passed and this sword
    has rusted
    People had forgotten and
    the legend disappeared

However, one day a
    wandering soldier happened upon
    the sword
    He too broken, rusted, and breaking
    Picked up the sword

There was an easy connection
    Because both were broken
    And both were alone

The soldier brought the
    sword
    And the sword polished him
    as he polished the sword

This new thing in his
    life became his strength
    Combined with it was a new thing
    A mermaid and a heart which became
    a shield

Shielded and given strength
    I think this is what love is
    I think this is what the soldier felt
    was love

Then again its only a sword
    and a metaphor
    For the things you have done

A cutting edge
    Strength
    And the ability to bring
    the best out of others

-----------------------

P.S. I'm bad at love poems it appears

23. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I'm not male, and I know this is from a film, but something that makes me melt every time is when James McAvoy, as Tom Lefroy in Becoming Jane to Anne Hathaway as Jane Austen, says 'I am yours. I am yours heart and soul.' I think it's a combination of the words and how he says them though. But with saying anything romantic, it only means something if it's genuine. So if you're doing this research for a story, then make sure you convey how genuine the character is about their feelings.

24. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Here's a couple of things my partner has said that I think are quite romantic (and as romantic as my stomach can handle. lol) "I'll give up everything and move half way around the world just to see if there is a chance for us, if you are willing to give it a try." "I never knew what it was to be truly happy until you came into my life, and I've never once regretted moving half way around the world to be with you."

25. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I really liked it whe my boyfriend complimented me on various things, like "your eyes are so pretty," all that. I remember we were holding hands and he was tracing over my palm with his fingers, tracing my scars on my knuckles, just gentle little touches, and he said "I love your hands. They're so expressive, they show who you are." :) I loved it whe he would kiss my wrists, too, at the pulse point; he said he loved how small my hands were and how they fit in his. Little things like that.