Russian Polititcians Want to Ban Swearing on the Internet!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JJ_Maxx, Jul 30, 2013.

1. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

As erebh already pointed out, I was talking about freedom of speech, the concept, which is an entirely different thing than the notion of general freedom. Naturally I don't think anyone should be allowed to run over old people with a tank, blow up schools, or sexually abuse children.

However, I believe speech shouldn't be moderated by laws and set regulations, but by a person's own morals which are ingrained into them since childhood, taught to them in schools etc. I like to think that I'm a relatively good person, but I still cursed like a sailor already when I was 6 years old, just like pretty much all the kids in my school. It wasn't that our parents swore more than "normal people;" we just picked up the swear words from wherever we heard / read them and then started using them. Most of us grew up to be good, respectable citizens and those who did not, didn't end up ruining their lives with foul language, but with alcohol and drugs combined with various bad choices.
    To quite a few, experimenting with boundaries, verbal ones as well, is a natural part of growing up.

It may sound like a concpiracy theory, but if we do start regulating speech with laws and regulations, I could well imagine it to become a precedent which might be used as a portal for more limitations on people's freedoms, a dawn of the era of the thought police.

2. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

However, I believe a speaker has to control his words and use the best words in his conversation as much as possible. Sometimes a person says a word and then he become regretful. He blame himself, why I used that word? It was a low word and was versus my character and the listener's honor. If I haven't said that word or that sentence! That regret was because, he hadn't thought about his words before expression.

A famous Iranian poet says ( who his another famous poem about humanity is on the portal of UN building )

" The word is as an arrow in the bow "
    " If you shoot it, you can't take it back "