Saddest book you've ever read?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by BillyxRansom, Jan 11, 2009.

1. echo_wolf

echo_wolf New Member

I think that mine would be "The Time Capsule". It made me bawl. It was sort of a chicky book and I didnt think I would like it but it was sad. I suggest reading it. It's also a very quick read. I read it in like 2 days with school and all so yeah.

2. Zaylee

Zaylee New Member

The Kite Runner, definitely.
    Of Mice and Men
    Anne Frank, Diary of a Young Girl...
    Carrie's War got to me as well...
    I found Vicky Angel by Jacqueline Wilson rather upsetting too.

3. samessex

samessex New Member

Red Sky in the Morning by Elizabeth Laird-read this whilst in secondary school, couldnt believe how emotional this book made me!!

4. Aeschylus

Aeschylus Member

1984 was certainly a sad book. Somehow, I thought Animal Farm was also a very sad book, just watching the deterioration of their utopia and watching how they are all so miserably gullible, to fall for the lies of their leaders. Of Mice and Men just had a really sad ending, too. Interestingly enough, I was never very affected by Romeo & Juliet, even though it's one of the most famous tragedies ever conceived.

5. KurtistheTurtle

KurtistheTurtle New Member

Where the Red Fern Grows
    The Cat Who Went to Heaven

and this isn't a book but Dragonball Z when Frieza killed Vegeta and Transformers Beast wars when the raptor guy made his final decision.

6. Toothache Fairy

Toothache Fairy New Member

There's an old book called The Little Lame Prince that I read a while ago - it's about a prince whose legs are deformed, so he can't walk, and for whatever reason he gets locked in a tower with his mean old maid. It wasn't even a story - it just talked about how much this cute little boy's life sucked. It was really depressing.

Oh, and Animal Farm. Boxer~ ;_;

7. BabelFish42

BabelFish42 New Member

Poor Boxer.

Where the Red Fern Grows totally broke my heart when I was ten. Bridge to Terebethia was sad but very good. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I liked it though. Come to think of it, I tend to like sad books. Time Traveler's Wife at the end. The Green Mile by Stephen King. A Long Way Gone Man, THAT one was really hard to get through. It's the nonfictional memoirs of a former child soldier. Definitely worth reading, but beyond heartbreaking.

8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Sophie's Choice.

9. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

The only book that made me feel sad for humans, androids, and one spider:p

no one else can depict a poor little Arachnid being tortured and elicit a sympathy, which culminates in a supporting character who euthenizes it through drowning it.

so sad:(

10. PKBradley

PKBradley New Member

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly had a very bittersweet ending. Definitely broke my heart.

Bridge to Terabithia was just plain sad. I hate it when fantasy novels don't have a happy ending.

Also, Sweetheart by Sara Zarr certainly tugged a few heartstring (and made me shed a few tears.)

What else what else...

Oh, right. Susan Beth Pfeffer's The Dead and the Gone. That book made me want to cry at the end of every freaking chapter.

I'd say the overall winner would have to be Sweethearts though. Chick lits that do not end with happy couples should be banned.

11. UnknownBearing

UnknownBearing New Member

We read Where the Red Fern Grows in sixth grade... big mistake.

could be mistaken, but i think Marley&Me was a book of some sort, though i only saw the movie. almost cried. if that happens to me, you know it's freakin' sad.

i guess A Child Called "It" was kind of sad, but it was really more horrifying.

12. Rosetta Stoned

Rosetta Stoned New Member

Oh god, same here.

Also One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Don't laugh.

13. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

The Only Alien On The Planet by Kristen D Randle- I didn't cry or anything, but the book was really sad.

To Kill A Mocking Bird by Harper Lee- First time around I didn't pay much attention to the story. I had to read it for school. The second time around I fell in love with this wonderful story. But I also learned to appreciate how sad it really was.

The Outcast of Poker Flats. Not a book, but it was a really sad and tragic short story. In the end they were all more human then any of the people in the village ever were.

14. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Where the Red Fern Grows, no question. It made me sob like a baby at the end. Old Dan laying down his life, and then Little Ann giving up life because she missed him so bad. I adore animals, so that broke my heart.

Also, PKBradley, I agree with you on The Dead and the Gone, although it didn't make me cry. That one was more graphic than Life As We Knew It, because it detailed all those bodies in the streets, and Alex having to go and pick stuff off of them. It was more horrifying than sad at times, but it was a great read.

Another one is Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl, because it's true. To imagine living like that, in a time where such a thing seems inconceivable, is awful. I went to the Holocaust museum in DC, and I was horrified. Everything we saw, inwardly I kept thinking, "Oh god. Oh god, help." It was horrifying, but if you ever want to go, DO IT. It isn't worth missing for the world. It was incredible to be there, but it was so sickening to imagine a genocide like that. Even the word genocide makes me feel so sick.

15. UnknownBearing

UnknownBearing New Member

huh, i never thought of it as sad. always considered it more thought-provoking. but i guess when you consider how the whole business with Tom ends up, it is pretty sad.

16. Gigi_GNR

Oh god, that book.....I couldn't even get past the first chapter. What a sick, horrible way to die. I felt so horrible reading it. It isn't that the book itself is horrible, because from what I read of it, it was good, but the idea itself was purely awful.

17. Phobophobia

Phobophobia New Member

The Pact by Jodi Picoult.
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.

I'm reading Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult next.

Jodi Picoult is the master at heart wrenching, sad stories.

18. Tina

Tina New Member

Recently...

The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb was soo depressing-- it was based on Columbine, of course, and just the extent of pain was hard to read...

I read many books that cause me to cry, but there's been a few cotton or long distance phone commercials that have done the same, so I don't know if that is saying much.

19. Gigi_GNR

Anne Frank's diary, because it was true.

20. Sappho

Sappho New Member

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

I couldn't put the book down and I started to actually cry as it finished. Beautifully written.

21. Gigi_GNR

The final book in the Narnia series by CS Lewis was really sad and sweet, because they all found out they had died in the end and Narnia was some sort of heaven. That was really sweet.

22. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Though I would describe it as beautiful more than sad, a few of the scenes from The Plague by Albert Camus are simply devastating.

23. Aidura

Aidura New Member

I swear by The Screaming Tree by Phil Lovesey. I read it when I was a sweet and innocent thirteen year old and I couldn't stop crying when I finished it. My mom was worried. The Stand by Stephen King was pretty sad too. The world couldn't be changed even if half of its inhabitants were wiped out. Oh yeah, Trudi Canavan's The High Lord was terrible in the sense that the author made you love Akkarin so much, just to take him away in such a simple manner. I was sad for a whole week. The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova was numbingly sad. All their efforts were wasted. Jodi Picoult's My Sister's Keeper was sad but I could only connect with Ann and Campbell so I symphatised more for Cambell than for Ann's family. Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer was sad in a sense that there was a great build-up for an all-out war, only to have it resolved without even a paper cut.

There are a lot more other books that made me bawl my eyes out but I'm too hungry to think. xDD

24. daturaonfire

daturaonfire New Member

It's not a book, but the ending of Cowboy Bebop had me depressed for weeks. I still cry when I watch it. It leaves you with a sense of terrible finality, that the grief the remaining characters feel will never be resolved or redeemed and that there is absolutely no chance of happiness for anyone. Totally heartbreaking. In books, the end of The Golden Compass made me cry. And The Way the Crow Flies; it's one of those books that's beautiful, poetic, and will bring you to the brink of giving up on humanity.

25. Gigi_GNR

The ending of The Last Battle by CS Lewis was so sweet and sad.