1. akexodia

akexodia Member

Saturation of thoughts ?

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by akexodia, Feb 2, 2012.

This is something happening to me since last few days.
    A beautiful poetry framework hits my mind. I sit down to pen down the poem, the world around vanishes as usual, streams of thoughts start to flow. (now starts the sad part)suddenly, boom! I start to feel that my thoughts (ideas for writing the poem viz the imagery, words, comparisons etc) have become saturated (or rather stale). Whatever i think of, i feel that i've already used it in some previous poem of mine. I cant think of anything original (as compared to my previous poems). It's like i'm thinking of the same thing over and over again.

Does such a thing ever happen to thee? If, yes, how do you try to get rid of it?

2. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Hi akexodia I write poetry all the time.
    Infact I write maybe two to three a day depending on what I am doing.
    If the words saturate, or just won't come out which happens all the time for one reason or another, then I what I do I change the task, I do something else like I chat if I am sat at my computer/read other poems/go for a brisk walk/get a cup of hot drink/watch or listen to some news.
    But one thing I will do is have the poem started..and what I tend to do is just put that word in even if I do not like it then carry on to the next line and so.. and then go back to those words Ihad put and reread then change them again.
    You must soemthing up at least few lines even if they are scattered...it gives you something to look at/reread/reshuffle/swap until the pome takes shape.
    Think of it as puzzle where you move the bits round.
    It works for me.:)

3. akexodia

akexodia Member

Hmm...'put the word in then reshuffle' ! That sounds good. I always get clogged up at that point. It might work if i let the flow continue and then modify it later! Thanks alot. :)

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm a fairly full time poet and i can't say i've ever had that problem... all i can suggest is for you to expand your horizons... switch to a different 'venue'... if you've been writing love poems, start writing some about nature instead... or politics, or human foibles and so on... blast yourself out of that rut... take walks and jot down ideas from what you see and feel when doing so... watch the international news, browse newspapers/magazines and do the same thing...