Save Us From Save The Cat

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Steerpike, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Slightly different subject, but very close in spirit—there's a software called Dramatica that's a plug-in system. You input your characters, fill in the blanks for the inciting incident, each turning point, the climax, and it makes sure it all fits together perfectly into a nice, computer-generated story. It strikes me as the writing equivalent of auto-tune and the infamous Grid all music is conformed to these days to take the artistry out of it and make it sound digitally perfect/lifeless.

2. Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope Member

I had a look at Dramatica Pro a number of years ago when I was learning screenplay format. It's a dreadful thing - having said that, it might work for people who are inclined to obsessively notecard the hell out of every scintilla of story and character, without ever actually doing the job of writing. If one is looking for a magic formula to writing purely as a means of becoming an Author, to me that indicates one can't/won't do the hard work. The amount of minutae it encourages one to write about a character's backstory is of little help to any writer. IMO.

Cephus likes this.
  3. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Sounds like the etch a sketch of writing.

Xoic likes this.