Say Something Nice About Somebody

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewdog, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

@123456789 does indeed have the correct sequence of numbers.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I choo-choo-choose you? And it has a picture of a train on it!

3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I bent my wookie.

All of y'all are pretty awesome.

Oscar Leigh and Trish like this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I hope you know a good Wookie Chiropractor to unbend your Wookie. :supergrin:

5. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

This probably has been said before, but I want to commend and applaud @Wreybies for his management skills. Yeah, I know you work as a solo translator. But what you did in publicly recognizing the volunteer Civil Engineering squad and then trusting us to clean out the Lounge was brilliant and was an amazing (and welcome) example of how to handle people.

I know bad management when I see it/suffer under it. Both the vague managers who generally want stuff done but don't give employees the tools and authority to do it, and the nitpicky micromanagers who second-guess every damn move and demote workers if they make the smallest error at all. Both kinds stink.

You, sir, do not stink. Rather, the far opposite. Thank you for managing things on this site well.

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I thank you kindly. :supercool: You all did a TON of work, and I know that work first-hand. I couldn't have been more pleased with the outcome and only wish I could have given as free a hand at the beginning (when we were in the upper area of the forum), but technoglitchery got in the way. People will shine if you let them, but you actually have to let them.

7. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

Personally I've always been embarrassed for @123456789. Who leaves out 0? And he just keeps posting around here like nothings wrong...

8. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

upload_2017-8-16_12-38-41.jpeg upload_2017-8-16_12-38-53.jpeg upload_2017-8-16_12-39-24.jpeg [​IMG] upload_2017-8-16_12-39-51.jpeg upload_2017-8-16_12-40-8.jpeg

ETA: I could do this all day and never get tired of it.

9. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

I've been wanting to add to this. In the last few weeks, I've considered what this particular forum means to me. So my stream of saying nice things goes like this...

I have always been quietly (well, not so much now) appreciative of the contributions of @BayView, @ChickenFreak and @jannert on this forum. I struggle to pay attention to much here, I think I mostly come to click buttons, refresh my screen and write to myself. I just want to hang out with writers online, and learn by osmosis (without actually reading too much somehow o_O). But I'm certain they have in small but important ways influenced the way I look at my own work.

From the workshop contributors, the notables for me would be @jannert, @ChickenFreak and @Shadowfax. These three have offered critiques to my work in the past, and every time I've looked at a workshop piece, they consistently feature with their critiques. As someone who dread the words 'I have a favour to ask you...', I'm in admiration that they give their time online like that.

As far as the compassion-goodly-heart badge, I would assigned them to @GingerCoffee and @jannert. If there were to be members covered with hearts, then they would be showered by a confetti of hearts. I think they're both kind and courageous.

Character would go to @matwoolf. I've also noticed he is the quickest member to apologize and say no hard feelings. He would be showered with confetti (the standard boring kind), after he'd dipped himself in glue.

Then there are the quieter members like @dbesim who hangs out in the comp areas contributing and encouraging others. Lately, I've been paying more attention to @Catrin Lewis' posts, and I've appreciated the gentle yet effective way she responds to threads. And finally, this group would include @zoupskim. He's a reminder there is also a lot of goodness lurking about should you ask. He is a person who wrote me beautiful responses to what I feel are my directionless questions. And I probably shouldn't tell him this, but I'm really harvesting his energy. :ghost: Similar to why I hang out here. The energy generated by ALL the members and mods is what makes this place special. (I do miss @Wayjor Frippery's words and I believe @BruceA is busy tending to his wondrous felt creatures.)

Anyway, I tend to focus on my running community, but I've also got a different but enduring appreciation of this community too. I consider this a solid base for whenever I need to be grounded in writing. It took a lot of distance to appreciate this. So I'll also post the same music I posted to them just a moment ago. It continues to be music I associate with the diverse personalities online that have directly or indirectly inspired me, and would apply to everything that is good about this forum.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  10. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Just wanted to say that all of you are awesome and special. :love:

Fernando.C and Laurin Kelly like this.
  11. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Aw, thanks @VynniL! :friend:
    I do hang out in the competition areas a lot, that's true. Sometimes also in the workshop section critiquing the stories. Also because I'm so completely awed by the sheer talent on this site. It also helps with the anonymous identities for all the non-bias when voting. @GingerCoffee had done such a good job running it, there started the appeal. Then there's the persistence coming from so many of the entrants. I'd mention names but don't want to leave anyone out. e.g. @Night Herald @Mocheo Timo @Fernando.C @srwilson. They've all written amazing stuff and not won medals.

Isn't this the say something nice about someone thread? Yup, feeling it :love::bigsmile:

12. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

Homer Potvin likes this.
  13. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Close the deal, Ned, close the deal!

14. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I want to say a special thank you, not only to all the Mods, whom I feel do an excellent job, but also to the other volunteers who do work here. The ones who worked their butts off on the latest housecleaning project have made a real difference. And the people who run the ongoing contests and monitor other parts of the forum deserve a ton of thanks. They put in a lot of time and effort. I don't want to start naming names, for fear of missing people out as I don't visit all parts of the forum. But these are jobs that need doing, and by all accounts are being done well. Thank you. Your efforts add breadth to the forum, and make it much easier for the average person to find what they need and to interact with other members.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  15. Mocheo Timo

Mocheo Timo Senior Member

I'm thankful for members who have given good criticism to stories and poems that I post, knowing that they also do it to many other members of the forum.
    This criticism has helped me grow a lot as a writer.
    So thanks a lot!!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  16. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Really, you must proof-read these frequent posts of yours, @jannert. I've helped a little, tidied you up, your points remain clear. Thank YOU.

17. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Sorry, Mat. Fangs for your help. I must have been drunk. Was I drunk? I don't remember. That wine ...oh yes...

18. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

I'm still the FNG here, but wanted to thank y'all for the warmest welcome I've ever had on a forum. Especially to those of you who have so enthusiastically offered your feedback to my questions and let me unleash my shenanigans across your forum, thank you.

19. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

I'd like to thank @Iain Aschendale, @zoupskim, and @Arcadeus for helping me with my story. I've had members of the Armed Forces tell me I've got no right trying to do a military story because I never served. Thank y'all for being kind and helping me to get the details right.

20. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    You're welcome, anytime.

Also,

Two words: Tom Clancy

And it doesn't hurt that you're doing semi-SF. If you were trying to do an autobiographical story about an Afghanistan vet, I'd have some concerns.

zoupskim, Oscar Leigh and Sclavus like this.
  21. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

^ You are one of the most amazing people I’ve met on the forums. :3 If I remember, you and others put up with me during my crazy younger years and I thank you. :D

22. Arcadeus

Arcadeus Senior Member

I think it's better you weren't in honestly (for writing purposes). It's hard for military to explain things that have become muscle memory.

Iain Aschendale and Sclavus like this.
  23. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

I know what you mean. I can fix problems with my dad's computer without really thinking about it, but trying to talk him through it on the phone is difficult.

Oscar Leigh and Iain Aschendale like this.
  24. 8Bit Bob

8Bit Bob Here ;) Contributor

I'm new here, so I can't contribute as much as other people have, but @Cave Troll's post are always very funny, and I really enjoy reading them :)

Honestly everyone on these forums have been very kind and welcoming to me, so thank you for that!

25. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    8Bit Bob and Fernando.C like this.