Scary.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Duchess-Yukine-Suoh, Sep 29, 2013.

1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Suggestion from experience, unless the doors can't be kicked in, move and don't tell the guy where you went. ;)

But I'm not positive we've heard the words, physical abuse, in the thread yet, and if not, certainly lock changes are possibly in order.

Don't know the state/country we are talking about here, but technically, in the states I've lived in, you can't always kick a household member out.

2. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

He doesn't have keys to the house though...

Although he probably wouldn't actually harm mom and me (@GingerCoffee) he still isn't above screaming, making a scene in public, and unlocking doors in his house when my mom shut herself in there (I was with my dad at the time, thank God).

And thanks again guys! :) Your support means a lot to me.

3. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Duchess, I'm so glad things did not escalate and that you are safe. I understand how that feels to some degree. My mom and step-dad have been violent in the past, some years ago when I was closer to your age. I'm a guy, so it is a little less terrifying, but that uncertainty of what to do, how to respond, what will happen was still choking. My mom is a strong women, beat up her fair share of boys and girls in her younger days. My step-dad was a big dude too, and had his fair share of fights back in school. Then there was me, strong, but just a kid. I never called, never knew if I would get in trouble or not. I do know that I wanted to, and with any prompting, I WOULD HAVE.

I know now, that I probably could have taken him, if I wanted to (I've always been a pretty strong guy), but the point is, I shouldn't have had to. I shouldn't, to this day, have dreams that involve settling physical confrontations with the man. If you are ever afraid, don't be afraid to call the police. If you are close with your neighbors trust them. Get people in place nearby who can help in an emergency. I found that writing in my journal was a great way to vent, and it got even better as I began to search my feelings for answers and to write those too. My most meaningful stuff came out of that period. Write to your mom if you must. Do what you have to, and above all, keep your head up. Everything will be okay. You are strong and you are capable, and with even a phone call you have some power over your fate and your house. You don't always have to be afraid in times like that. ;)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    GingerCoffee likes this.