Sci-Fi & The Importance Of Scientific Accuracy?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Gilganjun, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Haha, thanks @Simpson17866 , @Raven484 , and @Cave Troll. Yeah it was just made up BS and not part of any Alien canon. I know just enough about the subject to be able to string those words together to form sentences. If I ever wrote that idea in to a story I'm sure someone, somewhere, with a Burberry pipe and glasses, would leap from his chase lounge and shout "The fool! Doesn't he know the von Rausch coefficient prohibits that kind of energy transfer across n-dimensional space!"

Then it would be back to square one.

Simpson17866 and Cave Troll like this.
  2. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Why is it sad?

And no he's not making it up, though the power yields from higher dimensions would either be too tiny to detect, or would do really weird things to all the surrounding matter.

Oh I assumed we were ignoring Rausch for the sake of the argument. I should probably start reading posts.

Cave Troll and Steerpike like this.
  3. Steerpike

Yeah, I wasn't making up the basic science, but I was making up the part about it having anything to do with the Alien franchise :)

4. Steerpike

:-D:rofl:

5. Raven484

Raven484 Contributor Contributor

Wow, you do not know how happy I am right now that what you wrote was bullshit. I was afraid that I could never again reply to one of your posts. If you kept a straight face, I would believe you over the guy with the pipe, your reasoning sounds better. Pipes are creepy.

Steerpike likes this.
  6. Jack Asher

Real Alien? Like Alien and Aliens? Because that could be likely. And I prefer to ignore every other movie in that franchise.

7. Steerpike

I can make fun of them because I smoked one for a number of years. They can be used to good effect in conversation because you can jab the stem toward people to emphasize your points.

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. Steerpike

Yeah @Wreybies made the point above that the Alien could not grow as fast as it did. The only one I haven't seen is Alien Resurrection, which is odd because I like Whedon.

9. Raven484

Hi Jack,
    It's sad because Steer would be the guy who always finds the hole in any story. Like a Sheldon Cooper of critiques. They are out there lurking everywhere.

10. Raven484

I actually made a note, "Don't let Steerpike ever critique your story!" Thank God we are all normal!

11. Jack Asher

pipes-are-creepy.jpg

Raven484, Cave Troll and Steerpike like this.
  12. Steerpike

I used to get MacBaren's 7 Seas tobacco quite a bit. They had a few different versions, all good.

13. Raven484

I could picture you now, like a psychotic Gandalf! That would be a cool effect now that I picture it.

Steerpike likes this.
  14. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    @Raven484 then you need to come up with something that he can't possibly use physics to explain. Well at least without making it so complicated that it will be a daunting task for him to do so. :D

@Jack Asher Pipes are awesome. :D

Steerpike likes this.
  15. Jack Asher

I get this stuff called blackwatch, it's a local blend. String tobacco, some stuff and vanilla, but it's not overpowering.

Steerpike likes this.
  16. Steerpike

Sounds good. I also liked a number of English blends, which don't really have flavors. MacBaren made a nice one if you don't mind getting a strong jolt from the nicotine. Alternatively, there's a good one called Squadron Leader that is much more mild.

17. Jack Asher

I like English, but there's nothing better to just clear out a room. My wife (as a for instance) can't stand them.

Someone here will appreciate this: the owner of my local pipe shop is a nerd. 3 of his house blends have Tolkenian names, like rivendale, and prancing pony.

Edited to add: Shireleaf! That's the third one.

Steerpike likes this.
  18. Raven484

That's the shame with these forums, we can't all go out and get a couple beers together. We would definitely scare all the locals before they beat the hell out of us.

19. Raven484

Still learning Cave. One day I will write as good as you. How's it going with the second part of your story. I miss the Uber-Commander.

20. Cave Troll

@Raven484 Going good, just hit Terra. Marckus the stubborn jackass gets shot on Mars in the shoulder and lung. Then gets the brilliant idea that kicking ass is more important, than spending time recouping after surgery. Making for a semi-funny escape from the hospital on post, and a short chase before getting picked up in a jeep by a new character. Also though kind of rough around the edges romance between Marckus and Corlixia (Mother Confessor). Though given the fact that it seems quite the opposite to a degree, I am trying to get them together (even if it is a strange coupling :p).

21. Raven484

Keep going my friend. One of the better stories I have read this year. I think you broke me though. I am doing a beta and the person wrote it from one point of view, I am finding it very difficult to read. Thanks for breaking me buddy!

Cave Troll likes this.
  22. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

@Steerpike OK technically the curled up Kaluza-Klein dimensions of String Theory wouldn't work for what you're talking about ;) as they are thousands of times smaller than even a proton and there would be no room to store any mass not present in our own plane, but there's no reason I know of for why other curled up Kaluza-Klein dimensions might exist larger than the ones described by string theory - perhaps a nanometer in circumference - that would be able to hold extra mass.

And technically this would also make the chest-burster Alien just as massive as the "adult" form and the host's would have to be unimaginable strong to carry something the mass of the adult Alien without noticing :D but if everything in the universe has more matter stuck to it "counter-clockwise" from out plane, then the baby Alien could still have simply been absorbing material from "next to" us...

Holy **** is this the reason why their blood is so ridiculously corrosive?

Steerpike likes this.
  23. Cave Troll

@Raven484 Thanks. You do the same. :D

24. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Banned

The study of physics and various other scientific areas give us a better understanding of the laws which govern the universe. As that understanding improves, so does our technology.
    Better technology gives us the ability to do things previously thought of as impossible. Take communications for example;

Pre-industrial revolution humans had to depend on a written message to be carried from one town to another. The speed of the message was limited by that of the man or horse carrying it. It could take days for a message to travel 100 miles.
    The invention of the telegraph allowed people to send messages at the speed of electrical signals down a wire. It maybe took a few seconds to transfer the message 100 miles.
    The internet allows us to send and store messages on demand, but we're still limited to the speed of light in an optical fibre.
    Using radio frequencies, we can send messages at the speed of light between planets - between the earth and mars that's a waiting time of 4 to 24 minutes, depending on how far apart the planets are AND assuming the sun isn't in the way.
    If we can use quantum entanglement, we could send a message from earth to mars (or anywhere we plant the receiver) in a fraction of a second, unlimited by the speed of light. This is a possible future technology.

Yes, science gives us the limits of the universe, but we could discover something in reality which gets around those limits.
    Science fiction should have some basis in reality to make it believable, but at the same time it needs to be interesting and different enough to grip the reader and inspire real scientists.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  25. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

OK, technically not that last one ;) (Entanglement lets you measure a particle in it's natural state by measuring a second one, but the entanglement would break if you try to change one particle to send a message through the other), but this part is still spot-on:

Flip phones (remember those?), automatic doors, translation software, and video conferencing all got their start in science fiction like Star Trek :)