Science and magic... together?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by tristan.n, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

That makes no sense at all. We are talking about two different words. So of course they have different definitions. And they without a doubt are similar. I am not contradicting myself at all.

And as far as you acting childishly, Keven and I have already pointed that out to you. Even this post I am replying to is somewhat childish. No offense, but the more posts I read of yours the more you come off as a literal child (I mean no offense by that either) and not just acting like one. Which is fine if you are. These boards are open to everyone.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Yes, it can certainly be done. In most fantasies the rules of science work on a daily basis, until they don't work. In science fiction, the known laws of science are complied with, and when they are not a 'scientific' explanation is provided for why the rules have been violated. Fantasy doesn't have to provide a scientifically-plausible explanation, and typically doesn't. This is why Star Wars is fantasy, and things like mitichlorians do not move it into the realm of science fiction because there is no scientific rationale underpinning the link between mitichlorians and the force. I like both genres equally well, but science fiction requires one to be a bit more rigorous in terms of what is done and how it is presented.

1 person likes this.
  3. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

Are you blind to irony? You defined S.F and claimed it cannot be argued against due to it being "from a dictionary". I defined "arguement" for you, I placed it in context, it's from a dictionary that I referenced (something you need to do more of in debates) and you argued against it. That's irony.

You claimed I acted childishly by discrediting Keven's father and 12 year old nephew's abilty as viable references, that's not childish, it's childish to reference your father and 12 year old nephews opinions in a debate.

And I asked you to reference, do I have to define that as well? You're failing to give me a clear and logical example of my "literal childishness", or of anything in your arguements for that matter.

4. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

No offense, but this isn't a debate anymore. This thread is getting pretty loose-knit... :) Oh how I enjoy my own sense of humor. lol

5. Jhunter

/highfive

6. Jhunter

I didn't argue over the definition of "argue," I argued over the context is was being used. Your ploys of trying to be clever make you look even more childish. Grow up and stop trying to start arguments where there needs to be none. That is not what these forums are all about.

7. Jhunter

I like how you just summed up five pages of posts in one tiny paragraph. Go you ;)

8. Protar

Protar Active Member

EDIT: Just realised my point was already bought so lets just agree to disagree. I will say however that I think that starwars is science fantasy (a mixture.).

1 person likes this.
  9. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

Wow, this is just a Smörgåsbord of stupidity, from both sides. let's both just end this.