1. LCC

LCC New Member

Science Fiction novel recommendations

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by LCC, Jan 23, 2011.

From 1979 to 1986 I read a couple thousand science fiction novels. Many of them are neglected works. If you like science fiction, then perhaps I can steer you toward an author whom you would not otherwise encounter. I have only read a couple hundred science fiction novels from 1986 to present, so the persons who would be interested in my recommendations are probably older readers of the genre.

To get the ball rolling, just name an author and a science fiction novel which you liked which was published before 1987. I will attempt to give a recommendation for some book which has a similar reader appeal. For example, I just saw a thread where people were discussing Terry Pratchett. May I recommend for Pratchett readers the book "Cugel's Saga" by Jack Vance?

Lonnie Courtney Clay

2. Holden

Holden New Member

One of the only science fiction novels I've read is "The Forever War," by Joe Haldeman. Something I specifically liked was the anti-war theme, and the casual way he described the carnage he was witnessing (portraying what was going on in the U.S. military).

Your recommendations don't have to be limited to military sci-fi, but it wouldn't hurt.

3. LCC

LCC New Member

If you liked the theme of soldiers lost in the advance of civilization, try out Stephen Goldin, "The Eternity Brigade". If you liked the notion of the tragedy of hard choices, try "Fire Time" by Poul Anderson. If you want more stories with exotic scenes of warfare, try out "The Cybernetic Samurai" by Victor Milan. If you are into far out warfare try out "War of Omission" by Kevin O'Donnell Jr...

Lonnie Courtney Clay

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

If you liked The Forever War, try:

Armor, by John Steakley

Old Man's War, by John Scalzi

Starship Troopers, by Robert Heinlein

5. thenewpeter

thenewpeter New Member

I'm currently reading Starship stoopers, the film adaptation is one of my favourite films, plus I've always loved the tv series, so I thought I'd give the book a whirl, I'm really enjoying it so far. ^^
    Advise on others like it?

6. Steerpike

Holden mentioned "The Forever War," above. That's what I'd recommend as well. It was written by Joe Haldeman. Good book.

7. LCC

LCC New Member

Hmm. From your profile age, you would probably like any of Heinlein's young adult novels, especially "Citizen of the Galaxy", "Have Space Suit Will Travel", or "Tunnel in the Sky". If you especially like the super-soldier suit theme, try out the Posleen war series by John Ringo, "A Hymn Before Battle", "Gust Front" etc. If you like to read about humans fighting aliens and LOSING, try out The Chtorr series by David Gerrold, "A Matter for Men", "A Day For Damnation", "A Rage for Revenge" etc. If that series depresses you, try out the Retief books by Keith Laumer.

It is hard to say based upon a single book what would be the best fit. A three book/ author citation would improve the odds of getting satisfaction.

Edit : by all means, try out "The Forever War" first - "**** you sir!", wish I could have done that while in the USAF...

Lonnie Courtney Clay

8. Doctor Tao

Doctor Tao New Member

The Integral Trees - Larry Niven

The Stainless Steel Rat - Harry Harrison

9. LCC

LCC New Member

For Niven fans, try "Great Sky River" by Gregory Benford.

For the rat lovers, try "Wasp" by Eric Frank Russell.

For both, try "Men like Rats" by Rob Chilson.

If you like grand civilization destruction followed by rebirth, try "Starquake" by Robert L. Forward. The preceding novel "Dragon's Egg" is helpful background, but not strictly necessary...

Lonnie Courtney Clay

10. thenewpeter

thenewpeter New Member

I know it was a kind of hard placement from a single book to gues at what I'd like, but thats one of the only older books I've really enjoyed reading, I tend to read more modern books.
    I don't supose you know any sci fi/horror that you'd also recomend? I'll be trying most of the book that you mentioned, got me quite intrested. :) But I would also like something horror based, but keeping the sci fi setting. This'lll probably be few and far between, but I'm sure you've read a few books like such.
    p.s. I've read the Alien series if you'd count them, unsure how old they are and weather it was the book or films first.

11. Steerpike

Dragon's Egg is a cool book, though. Worth the read :)

12. LCC

LCC New Member

Just about the only "horror" science fiction that I recall reading and liking, as opposed to the myriad war science fiction novels (which I usually like), was called "IT", but I do not recall who wrote that book. The notion of artificial intelligences is horrific to many who contemplate the subject - see wikipedia page "artificial intelligence in fiction".

John Brunner wrote a book called "Total Eclipse" which was about the most depressing of many depressing books which he has written.

John Wyndham also has a lot of depressing books - try "The Day of the Triffids".

By "horror" do you mean that the book shows people faced with insurmountable odds? That categorization would include many other novels and authors, since most science fiction and fantasy authors like to put their characters into tight spots. Alternatively, do you mean "horror" as a sub-genre within "Occult", where supernatural forces molest people? I guess that I am out of touch with definitions nowadays...

Lonnie Courtney Clay

13. thenewpeter

thenewpeter New Member

I have read Day of the triffids, forgot about that one XD, had to do a project designing my own triffid.

I'd say it's most likely based around people being faced by imposible odds, fighting for their lives against eather something they don't know, or an enemy they're all to familiar with, I'm not a massive fan of the mythological horror personly.

When you said IT, did you mean the stephen king novel?

14. thenewpeter

thenewpeter New Member

sorry for the double post, by the mythological horror, I meant it as in being set in the past, I'm a fan of more modern things such as Stephen kings books, a good example of something I'm after would be something along the lines of 'dead space' I've been searching for a book similar to that for a while, but had no luck.

15. LCC

LCC New Member

I checked Wikipedia, definitely not. The premise of the book was that an AI had learned to control not only all of the world's electronics, but also to influence the minds of living beings. I utilized the book's concepts in a long running joke from 2001 to 2007 which I posted in various places on the internet. Data miners take note, I confess to blatant plagiarism LOL.

Lonnie Courtney Clay

16. LCC

LCC New Member

Check out H. P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard among others. I am definitely not an expert on "horror".

Lonnie Courtney Clay

17. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Steerpike already listed Armor by John Steakly.

I'd also recommend the World War series by Harry Turtledove and the Posleen War series by John Ringo. All are military SF.

One that is less military but considered a classic is Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light. Lesser known is his Creatures of Light and Darkness.

For a near term SF novel, I'd recommend One Second After (somewhat bleak of a novel).

18. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

:eek: The films are okay. Entertaining, but they're really nothing like the book except for the war with the bugs. The combat suits mentioned in the book don't even make an appearance until the third movie.

And they killed the wrong girl in the first movie. :mad: Gotta love the drill sergeant though. "Medic!" :)

Personally, I like the second Starship Troopers movie the best because it has the most solid story.

19. thenewpeter

thenewpeter New Member

I've always felt more attached to the first personly, it has one of my all time favourite action scenes in it, the battle at whisky outpost. I didn't relise the book was so different from the film, I expected it to be a little different of coarse, but it's insanly different.
    Hated the 3rd film, it was a very heavy let down for me, plus I hated that dam stuedes or what ever she was that sang all of those bleeding religious songs.

The series wins though, it keeps alot closer to several elements from the books, the power armour being one of them, however it catered to a more child friendly audiance, so morals and such where added in, although still very enjoyable, just wish they'd completed the final 3 episodes, they stopped it at the eve of the end of things! you can't get much mor anoying than that.