1. justanothervampirewriter

justanothervampirewriter New Member

screenplay question

Discussion in 'Scripts and screenplays' started by justanothervampirewriter, Jan 11, 2011.

I've started working on a screenplay. I decided my latest idea was better suited for screen rather than novel.

I was researching last night (and I ordered a book that should be here this week), and I found conflicting information about capitalization of names.

I read that a characters name should be capitalized if they have dialouge everytime it is written. But then on another site, I read that it is only capitalized once.

Which is correct for film? And any other screenplay writing tips or resources you'd like to throw out there, I'd be open as well. Thanks!

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the 'once' refers only to the action/description element, when the character is first introduced... thereafter, only the first letter of the name is capitalized whenever mentioned there...

but character names are ALWAYS done in all-caps over their dialog...

you can email me for my 'tools of the trade' which contains the best how-tos for screenwriting... i hope the one you ordered is one of those, because there are some pretty poor ones out there...

i mentor many aspiring screenwriters, so if you need any one-on-one help, or tips from the pros on any aspect of the craft, you need only ask...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com