1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Scrivener [Paid]

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Wreybies, May 22, 2014.

Wreybies submitted a new resource:

Scrivener - A cleanly trim word processor with organizational tools for the writer.

Read more about this resource...

TheWriteWitch likes this.
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

How is Scrivener at exporting or sharing what you've written on a Mac to somebody who has a PC and who doesn't have Scrivener? At the moment I use Pages on my MacMini (Mountain Lion), but must convert to TextEdit for my PC friends to read what I send them. This means a certain degree of reformatting.

If Scrivener is cross-platform friendly at this level, I just might be tipped into buying it. I already organise my work pretty well, so that's not really the aspect of this that attracts me. It's the compatibility thing. Also, the potential for formatting my already-completed manuscript for export to Kindle? I understand this might also be a feature.

3. Wreybies

Excellent. :) You can export individual files (scenes, chapters, sections) of your work in various formats for your PC friend:

[​IMG]

Or you can compile the entire manuscript (for a beta, say), and again you can choose various output formats.

[​IMG]

Megalith likes this.
  4. jannert

Oh, holy shit, pardon my French. Okay, I'm buying this sucker!

GoldenFeather likes this.
  5. Wreybies

Did you d/l the trial version?

6. jannert

Gimmie a break! It's only been 45 seconds...:)

7. Wreybies

No, no. LOL :) I meant as in previously, in the past. ;)

8. jannert

No, but I'm gonna. I don't think I'll use it, at least not right away, for my actual writing ...but when it comes to converting and sharing this looks top-notch. I will certainly look into writing my next book in it, though. Thanks for all the great info. A picture worth a thousand words and all that...

9. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Is there a forum discount, @Wreybies? If not maybe we can get one. The developer has discounts for all sorts of groups like NaNoWriMo.

10. Wreybies

I do not know, but I am member at their forum and I will no go and ask! :agreed:

ETA: And I've now asked. :cool: I can only wait and see. :unsure:

11. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

I love Scrivener. :) I d/led the free trial during NaNoWriMo, but I haven't gotten around to buying it yet. I love how easy it is to keep myself organized on there. I normally put everything (characters, locations, random ideas or scene lists) in its own document, but Scriviner keeps me from having to do that. :) Love it.

GoldenFeather likes this.
  12. Wreybies

And we have it! :agreed:

20% discount on the product for our members. :friend:

WRITINGFORUMS

Tesoro, Megalith and Thomas Kitchen like this.
  13. jannert

Next week. I'm buying it next week.

14. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Me too!!! So excited! Thanks for the discount info @Wreybies!

15. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hah! Thank me. ;) :p

16. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

Never tried it, but have two writer friends (one with a couple published novels and the other a magazine writer) who swear by it. It's on my wish-list if I ever get "serious" about my writing.

-Frank

17. Amanda_Geisler

Amanda_Geisler Senior Member

How do we get the discount?

Amanda

18. Wreybies

If you go to the Resource Page for it, it's at the bottom. Hit the Spoiler button and it will pop open. ;) Also, it would be super nice if you accessed them via one of the Scrivener links you see here in the forum in the various banners. That way we get credit for the referral and they keep extending us cool things like discounts. :agreed:

19. Amanda_Geisler

Amanda_Geisler Senior Member

Okay thanks, I just downloaded the trial, I want to have a good go of it before I buy it, I am looking at buying it mainly to keep track of all my characters. Hope this helps me.

Amanda

20. BookLover

BookLover Active Member

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Lyrical likes this.
  21. Christine Ralston

Christine Ralston Active Member

I have the Scrivener for Windows version and I'm using the outline mode to track my progress. It works great for subdocuments, but won't show the progress for the parent folder. I have the project divided into parts. Each part gives me a total word count and a target word count, but the progress bar stays white. Each chapter shows progress correctly unless I attempt to create scenes as subdocuments and then the chapter progress bars also go white. I've read through tutorials and have seen screen captures of other projects where the parent folders are showing progress. Does anyone know how I can fix this quirk? Thanks!

22. Lyrical

Lyrical Frumious Bandersnatch

Same question as BookLover. @Wreybies do you know if the discount code works after all this time? I applied it and it did nothing.

23. TheClintHennesy

TheClintHennesy Member

I tried to use the discount code as well- but didn't work.

Anyways- I'm on the trial now and reading the tutorial and how it works.
    I'm definitely buying it though- I need it! xD

Let me tell you- it's really awesome. I've been using FocusWriter to do writing- and this one has the same feature (as in, blackens everything else and just focus on writing without annoying interface, customization onou c page size, etc.)
    Unfortunately, It's not as "colorful" as FocusWriter in customization for that feature- but it still is an entire project management folder by itself.

Before this, I was using CeltX and never really liked it (because it's an online, internet thing now and can't be used offline but correct me if I'm wrong.)
    Majority of my files being worked on are on Google Docs and are all in messy folders. I have to "Open In New Tab" when I want to organize folders and everything.

This makes life a lot simpler! The interface is pretty simple and you can tab through different files quickly. It also has a feature where you can split the windows- allowing you to view/edit more than one file at the same time. :p
    There are a bunch of funky options as well like adding meta-data to your files and all that (which I think is very handy in making a templates for chapters like Date, Locations, Characters, etc.) There is also this neat feature that allows you to "merge" chapters into one long stream of files together. Like, you can have chapter 1 and chapter 2 both combined and navigate through everything as one or have the option to view chapter 1 as an individual file by itself. Oh- and script writing? It's covered. :p There's a mode where you can easily format your writing into a script and it's very easy to use.

Finally, The export/import feature. I'm really impressed. With this and the organization tools combined- I can manage not only my texts/writing- but also my images, web references (links), audio, and videos.
    This is VERY important for me because I make drawings and concepts for my characters and this allows me to quickly drag and drop images files onto my writing files.

I honestly can't wait to start using it and fully utilize its tools. I've been really stressed in managing my Google Docs files (especially because the words are adding up, some being 6k words and some being 12k words and a total of about 4-5 Google Docs Files.)

I really recommend it! o_o

24. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Does anyone have a template to just make the novel look good? Like font, spacing, etc? Mine is sorely lacking...

25. Wreybies

A Scrivener Template is a different beast to what you describe. It's an organizational paradigm, not one of formatting. When you mention font and spacing, are you talking about on-screen or in your compiled output? They are two separate things.